sonkae
Participant
@sonkae

I have been impressed by the idea of laser tattoo removal ever since I read a Health & Science newspaper article in my high school biology class that described a prospective new tattoo ink made of biodegradable ink and polymer beads. The new technology would allow all the beads to be popped by a single laser treatment, freeing the ink to be absorbed by the body, and guaranteeing complete and quick tattoo removal. I loved the idea of tackling the tattoo removal problem by the novel approach of altering the ink itself, and I think my fascination may even have affected my decision to go into scientific research.

Now, as an undergraduate student studying biochemistry, I continue to be amazed at the rate at which we are developing and improving new technologies in all areas of science, including medicine and cosmetology. Experts across the country, such as those at New Look in Houston, Texas are constantly refining their techniques and equipment to make tattoo removal as effective and affordable as possible. Check out their own tattoo removal guide here: http://www.newlookhouston.com/TattooRemoval.html

Hopefully, some day soon, laser treatment will be an effective and accessible solution for tattoo removal for all…Good luck to everyone with their removal decisions! 🙂

Ross_W
Participant
@ross_w

Seems to me if someone chooses to use this bio-degradable ink, than that is a sign that they are not sure they will like their tattoo in the future. If thats the case, they shouldnt get the tattoo in the first place. I sometimes wish there was really no way to remove a tattoo, maybe less people would make completely retarded decisions and actual get a tattoo the proper way.

sonkae
Participant
@sonkae

Ross, I completely agree with you on that point… it does seem like the more removable the tattoo, the less seriously people take their decision to get it and the less thought gets put into what should be a very meaningful decision; it’s as if we’ve lost the whole notion of permanence when it comes to tattoos… Nonetheless, as a biochemist I can’t help but marvel at how tattoos work in general, and especially at how both lasers and new developments such as the ink work to get rid of them. :p

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder
sonkae;70438 wrote:
Ross, I completely agree with you on that point… it does seem like the more removable the tattoo, the less seriously people take their decision to get it and the less thought gets put into what should be a very meaningful decision; it’s as if we’ve lost the whole notion of permanence when it comes to tattoos… Nonetheless, as a biochemist I can’t help but marvel at how tattoos work in general, and especially at how both lasers and new developments such as the ink work to get rid of them. :p

From a technical point of view I think this is really cool. It’s kind of like phones- When I was a kid, they were attached to walls, had cords and the only other thing you could do with them was to get the dog tangled up in the cord and make the phone ring and watch him run around in circles. Today, I use my phone more for emails and texting than I do to talk! Technology has certainly led us in some interesting directions and these points you bring up are no exception.

From an enthusiasts point of view, I agree with Ross. This falls into the same ball park as a painless tattoo. If it’s no painful and you can change your mind instantly tomorrow what makes it special? For me, the process of getting a tattoo is something I think about for a long period of time and when I’m actually getting tattooed it turns into an almost spiritual moment for me. The pain is so intense that I literally can not think about anything else. How many times in your life have you been solely focused on one thing for a few hours on end? My guess would be not many. It’s close to sex in my mind.

So I guess the nerd inside of me really digs the technology but the traditionalist feels that these advances pose a real threat to an art form and way of life that has been undisturbed for 100 years or more.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.