Jive-Master
Participant
@jive-master

I had my first tattoo 5 years ago, on my hip. I had to have it done in two sittings, outline & colour.

Well it’s taken me five years but I’ve braved booking up again, I’m having a portrait of my racehorse & it needs to be done all in one sitting.. I’ve got from now until March to prepare for my first six hour session.!

There is no chance I’m whipping out, I really want it done but I’m absolutely bricking it.!

Any advice on how to prepare.?

Thanks guys x

Dan
Participant
@dan

1)pre-hydrate the day before(drink lots of water)

2)get a good nights sleep the night before

3)eat a good meal before the tattoo(quality food,nothing greasy)

4)bring a couple bottles of water and some candy like skittles,M&M’s,jelly beans,etc,etc, keep your electrolytes up during the tattoo

5)during the tattoo put yourself somewhere pleasant in your head,you can control the pain

6)relax during the tattoo,make sure you are sitting or laying comfortably

7)use you head,us humans are capable of amazing things mentally,put yourself in the right frame of mind and work at it throughout the entire tattoo process,embrace the experience,

you will be fine 🙂 don’t over think the process in the days leading up to the tattoo,and do not drink any alcohol the day of the tattoo.

Jive-Master
Participant
@jive-master

@Dan 146170 wrote:

1)pre-hydrate the day before(drink lots of water)

2)get a good nights sleep the night before

3)eat a good meal before the tattoo(quality food,nothing greasy)

4)bring a couple bottles of water and some candy like skittles,M&M’s,jelly beans,etc,etc, keep your electrolytes up during the tattoo

5)during the tattoo put yourself somewhere pleasant in your head,you can control the pain

6)relax during the tattoo,make sure you are sitting or laying comfortably

7)use you head,us humans are capable of amazing things mentally,put yourself in the right frame of mind and work at it throughout the entire tattoo process,embrace the experience,

you will be fine 🙂 don’t over think the process in the days leading up to the tattoo,and do not drink any alcohol the day of the tattoo.

Thankyou, I don’t drink so no problems there 🙂 I think its a case of spending the next few months preparing myself for the experience mentally.. I’m not a massive fan of breakfast so what’s best to eat beforehand.?

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

I don’t eat breakfast either. I tend to take music and make sure my phone is fully charged (and bring a charger) so that I can watch some Netflix or whatever on my phone.

I don’t eat a whole lot and I don’t drink water so although dan is completely right in everything he’s saying, we’re not all perfect and I’m terrible at doing what I “should” so if you’re like me and you think you will struggle, try and just grab something. Anything. You don’t want a full stomach because it makes me feel queasy personally, but you definitely don’t want an empty one. I tend to take a couple of bottles of coke because the sugar stops you feeling faint etc. then just take snacks, crisps, biscuits, some chocolate. you don’t need a big breakfast if that’s outside of your routine. Eating breakfast has always made me feel sick personally, I need to have been awake and mobile for a few hours before I can stomach food!

Follow the advice above as best as you can because it really is the best way to go about it, but yeh don’t stress if you’re not a breakfast person, just think of it more than you shouldn’t go in on an empty stomach and take plenty of sugary stuff to stop with the faint feeling.

The music and youtube/Netflix/more4 whatever will really help with the pain as its a distraction for your brain but if you find you’re getting uncomfortable, try watching them do the tattoo. I find that I get so sucked into watching them do it that it stops occurring to me that its supposed to hurt! Different things work for different people so you never know! Chatting helps too. Asking lots of questions or being asked lots of questions rather than idle chat because then you actually have to focus!

Hope that helps! Make sure you post photos once you have your new piece! Who are you booked with? Good luck!

Jive-Master
Participant
@jive-master

@kittykat200 146179 wrote:

I don’t eat breakfast either. I tend to take music and make sure my phone is fully charged (and bring a charger) so that I can watch some Netflix or whatever on my phone.

I don’t eat a whole lot and I don’t drink water so although dan is completely right in everything he’s saying, we’re not all perfect and I’m terrible at doing what I “should” so if you’re like me and you think you will struggle, try and just grab something. Anything. You don’t want a full stomach because it makes me feel queasy personally, but you definitely don’t want an empty one. I tend to take a couple of bottles of coke because the sugar stops you feeling faint etc. then just take snacks, crisps, biscuits, some chocolate. you don’t need a big breakfast if that’s outside of your routine. Eating breakfast has always made me feel sick personally, I need to have been awake and mobile for a few hours before I can stomach food!

Follow the advice above as best as you can because it really is the best way to go about it, but yeh don’t stress if you’re not a breakfast person, just think of it more than you shouldn’t go in on an empty stomach and take plenty of sugary stuff to stop with the faint feeling.

The music and youtube/Netflix/more4 whatever will really help with the pain as its a distraction for your brain but if you find you’re getting uncomfortable, try watching them do the tattoo. I find that I get so sucked into watching them do it that it stops occurring to me that its supposed to hurt! Different things work for different people so you never know! Chatting helps too. Asking lots of questions or being asked lots of questions rather than idle chat because then you actually have to focus!

Hope that helps! Make sure you post photos once you have your new piece! Who are you booked with? Good luck!

Thankyou, I have someone coming with me, he’s spent a lot of time in the chair, so hopefully that will help to 🙂 I’m booked in with Martin Binczewski @ Avon Tattoo. He’s expensive & I’ve got to wait 5 months but it’s well worth it, his portraits are fantastic.

I’ve booked up for 6 sessions as I want a full sleeve but it will depend on how well I cope. The portrait is the most important thing for me so as long as I have that 🙂 I’m going for black & grey with a small amount of colour throughout.

I’ll make sure to remember to post pics 🙂 😀

Call_me_Lola
Participant
@call_me_lola

If this is going on your arm, then it will be a totally different experience than your hip was. Some parts will suck, but over all it will be much less painful.

And like the others have said, go in well rested and well nourished. It makes a big difference. And bring a few snacks and either juice or pop (soda, if you are American). Not diet pop, your body will need the sugar.

You will be fine.

Dan
Participant
@dan

@Jive-Master 146171 wrote:

. I’m not a massive fan of breakfast so what’s best to eat beforehand.?

so it depends on what time your appointment starts,I always ask for the first appt of the day because I like an early start,but whatever time you go in,make sure you have a full stomach.

and if it is a morning or early appt,then force yourself to eat,trust me,don’t go on an empty stomach.

and one other tip is to not bring your entourage,artists tend to like it better that way. honestly bringing your friend is going to do what for you ?

Jive-Master
Participant
@jive-master

BertNaked
Participant
@bertnaked

Have you ever done anal?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.