JeriGirl
Participant
@jerigirl

Hi all,

I stumbled onto this site when I couldn’t find any information online to help me, but I could really use some advice.

The short story: I’m a 24 year old female and I’ll be getting my first tattoo, scheduled in a two days. My decision is not by any means impulsive, but when the artist I’m working with showed me the design he came up with… well, frankly I think there was a major miscommunication. Now I’m anxious about how to proceed.

The long story: I originally found a shop I like and decided to stop in; my knowledge of tattoos comes entirely from binge watching reality shows like Ink Master, so I felt I really needed to educate myself more before taking the leap. The person I spoke to there was a huge help. I had originally come up with my own design, but this person basically explained what problems my design had, price, placement, etc. and I knew I really needed to rethink my approach. I knew the actual content I wanted and the style I wanted, just not the physical design, so I decided I would let the artist design it instead.

I looked at each artist’s portfolio and knew exactly who I wanted, so I emailed him some questions… no answer. I tried to fill out the questions form on the shop’s site, but received an error that the inbox wasn’t set-up properly. This made me a little nervous but I loved everything else about the place so I contacted the email provided on all the site’s pages. Turned out it belonged the shop’s owner (I figured but wasn’t sure), who I hadn’t recognized because the he used a nickname on his portfolio page. I received a very professional email responding to all my questions, plus he was very sympathetic to dealing with a tattoo-virgin and encouraged me to come to the shop and talk to someone in person.

So I did. Let me add, I had originally dismissed choosing the owner because his style was heavily traditional and I knew I wanted a graphic, but realistic style (I’m getting a large bird on the upper half of my arm). I then saw on his Instagram page a new design he did and it was beautiful; the style was just along the lines I wanted. I realized I may be underestimating the amount of styles each artist could do because I judged each based on their specialty displayed in their portfolios. Fast forward to my visit, I was introduced to a third artist; unbelievably nice and extremely attentive. We thoroughly discussed what I wanted and I showed him about 11 references. When he asked me if I had an artist in mind, I mentioned the first artist I considered (whose forté was realism), but mentioned that I had jumped to a few conclusions with the owner’s abilities, so if they knew one of the other artists was particularly good at the style I wanted, I was open to suggestions. He told me that that artist was phenomenal, but if I was willing, he knew what I was describing and had done the style before, even though his personal specialty was in traditional. I was sure he would know better than I was he is and is not able to do. I said okay, we set up a consultation date for the next week and the tattoo appointment for the week after that. I paid a small, non-refundable deposit and he had me email him everything we discussed, the references, and encouraged me to send him any extra ideas or references I find along the way. A few days later I sent even more references (about 7) because I was getting anxious that upon checking out his portfolio, I realized his is was VERY heavily traditional. He thanked me and assured me he felt he understood the style I wanted. I’m a control freak but I felt I needed to let him do his job, he’s the professional.

Consultation time, I was shown a rough sketch that I ultimately really liked. We discussed what changes I hoped to see and I was to be sent a picture of the new design a couple days before the final appointment – he told me we could make changes, get a new design, and any small final changes after that could always be made at the appointment. I found 4 more references that match what we discussed at the consultation, one almost exactly what I wanted, and sent them, to which I received another thanks and that he was very excited about it. I told myself to stop expecting the worst, especially because the style I wanted was so prominent (or so I thought) in all the references he had.
So I received the design…

Okay. I can tell it is good… but it is VERY traditional in style. I can tell he listened to what elements I wanted, but almost all of the actual style elements we discussed are m.i.a. Personally I do not like the look of traditional tattoos. Since we’re doing most of our communicating through email, I made notes on the image and photoshopped the changes I’d like (only pushing around the shape a little), throwing in an apology that I hope altering the image wouldn’t offend him. I like it MUCH more after my changes, but that doesn’t fix the fact I feel like we are on such completely different pages.

If it came down to it, I would refuse to have it have it done while apologizing profusely for taking up his time. After trying to explain my issue with the style, I told him I’m happy to come in tomorrow or even push back the date of the final appointment because I know it’s a lot of work to change it up.

Why I’m posting: I guess I know that no matter how nice or attentive or hard working he is, I have to call it off if I’m not happy with the final design… it’s too expensive and most importantly: permanent. With the appointment so close, I don’t know if I’ll receive advice in time but I still have a rock in stomach over the anxiety. I mean, I’m a tough cookie, but frankly I was so shocked I felt like crying because I just didn’t know what to do next. I guess I’m looking for advice or some reassurance that this is playing out okay. I certainly don’t want to be “one of those” customers… you know, the nightmare ones that are never happy, but I’d like to assume that most professional tattoo artists would understand the situation and that I’m not the first client to feel this way…. but frankly, assuming is what got me into this in the first place.

I hate to sound like a drama queen, but honestly, I’m so anxious I am legitimately scared. Any advice or support… anything, would be appreciated.

turbosatan
Keymaster
@turbosatan

call him sooner not later

just drop them a text FB message or email if your worried or have anxiety over the call

Let them know your worries directly too. tattoo artists worth their stuff will be more than happy to let you have some time to go over your concerns and redesign or rework a tattoo until you are happy.

If the design is not as you want it then explain that but dont just say “its not what i want” take loads of examples of what you do want. find out if it is actually suited to what they can do and if it isnt their style or you are nto comfortable that they can do it then dont get it done. Give them (or at least offer) them some money for the time they have spent on doign the design as this is almost always an unappreciated unrewwarded part of of the design process that does take a lot of time. but dont get it done unless your totally happy with it.

Look up similar designs and other artists and find someone who is perfect.

And finally dont be scared. only reason to be scared is because you ahev a hangup about saying “thats not what i had in mind” the artist unless they know this cant help. so just say it.

Tell them exactly the above .

“Based on what i think i want now , which is different to this design, i might have to think further about it. here is X dollars for your time spent on doign the design for now as im not 100% sure im going to come back here to have it done. “

dont be afraid and more importantly if you cannot say any of the above and it comes to it. do not go!!! if you cant bring yourself to discuss it for sure do not just turn up and ahve it done because you are too frightened to say you changed your mind.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Yes get a hold of him as soon as possible and say outright this is not what I was thinking I want it in this style of tattoo (showing him a sample). If it is not what you want don’t in any way feel obligated to get it. Remember tattoo studios don’t give tattoos tattooists do. I had a tattooist draw up a tattoo for me I took one look at it and said you are not the right person for this gave $50 and went on my way. Where are you at maybe we can help match you with a tattooist with the style you want.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

Maybe speaking to the shop owner again? You said that he was the realist artist that you went in to see and ended up being persuaded by this other guy to go with him instead? I would go back and ask to talk to the person who originally took your interest. DO NOT get anything marked on you that you are not 100% certain that you love, its not worth the pain and laser is expensive

JeriGirl
Participant
@jerigirl

@turbosatan 145408 wrote:

And finally dont be scared. only reason to be scared is because you ahev a hangup about saying “thats not what i had in mind” the artist unless they know this cant help. so just say it.

“Based on what i think i want now , which is different to this design, i might have to think further about it. here is X dollars for your time spent on doign the design for now as im not 100% sure im going to come back here to have it done. “

dont be afraid and more importantly if you cannot say any of the above and it comes to it. do not go!!! if you cant bring yourself to discuss it for sure do not just turn up and ahve it done because you are too frightened to say you changed your mind.

Sincerely, thank you three! Especially you turbosatan. It’s amazing how just having that little extra support really can help get your head back on straight. I’m getting my tattoo as a sort of a celebratory piece… I definitely don’t want to resent it or look back on a negative experience. I haven’t heard a reply yet, but I am following buttwheat’s example… he may be perfect for someone else but not for me. I only have his email so I immediately emailed him saying he does great work, I’m happy to compensate him for the sketches, and would love to leave a positive (and honest) review of my experience, but I need to re-evaluate and won’t be going further. No matter his reply, I’m deciding this isn’t a good fit.

You guys are right…

1) It’s silly being scared to say “sorry, that’s not what I expected.”
2) If it is really this much of a concern (and I’m willing to not show up as a last resort… which I most definitely am), it should be obvious to me that there’s a problem.

I looked around just this morning after sending the email and actually found another shop with perfect and numerous reviews, but more importantly there is an artist there with a portfolio full of some the exact kind of images I had been showing for references – I just had to expand my search radius a little to find it. I already feel more confident that this may be a better fit and will see if the artist will have time to talk.

We’ll see how this goes. Good or bad I’ll be sure to come back and say what happens. I’ll either be on my way to getting my tattoo, or I’ll take up the offer to have help looking for a new artist.

Fingers crossed…

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

Proud of you, go and enjoy your first tattoo and make sure you do come back and share it.

You’ve done the right thing.

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

Keep us posted!

Too many people stop in here after the fact, glad you got here in time.

JeriGirl
Participant
@jerigirl

Just an update and a quick question.

Went to the new parlor today. The artist I want was out sick but I spoke with their front desk person – exceptionally friendly and has two tattoos by the artist that are just stunning. She was extremely attentive in taking notes of what I want (she asked for a reference to print out for the artist, which I gave, and we used pieces from the artist’s portfolio as further examples). She books up fast so we decided to go ahead and set a consultation date and the tattoo date at her earliest availability, a week apart near the end of September, and they’ll be sure to get in contact if they need anything else. I didn’t realize it, but it sounds like this artist is pretty popular and has quite a few people travel for the chance to work with her – that’s always a positive sign!

I like everything about this place better; from the shop itself, to the staff, to what they had to say about the artist, to the artist’s portfolio (most importantly). I’m still a little nervous about not knowing what the final design will actually look like, but I truly love this artist’s portfolio and feel much more confident that I’ll be happy with the result.

I do have a question: Is this considered the normal format of most tattoo appointments? I realize this can vary drastically (especially if the design is smaller/larger or if you have the actual design already done), but you never really see this part on the reality shows. Is it typical to walk in, share your ideas, book the appointment, see the design a week or so before the date, then show up ready to have it done (hopefully with any new changes being exactly what you want)?

Anyhow, thank you guys again for the support. It really was the nudge I needed. In a month or so when I have my beautiful first tattoo, I will be sure to come back and share!

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

Sweet!

I’m sure you will get a great tattoo!

I can’t wait to see the pictures!

Call_me_Lola
Participant
@call_me_lola

” I do have a question: Is this considered the normal format of most tattoo appointments? I realize this can vary drastically (especially if the design is smaller/larger or if you have the actual design already done), but you never really see this part on the reality shows. Is it typical to walk in, share your ideas, book the appointment, see the design a week or so before the date, then show up ready to have it done (hopefully with any new changes being exactly what you want)?”

Yes, that is the normal process. In my experience it is also normal for the artist (being an artist) not to have the design ready a week ahead of time. But it is ready in time for the appointment. I have never had to make any design changes, although the design is always different than I had been imagining it has always been so much better. (And often bigger!)

I’m glad you found an artist you really like. Good luck. Can’t wait to see it.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

My process is a little different. I choose an artist I tell them the basics of what I want I let them have free rein and don’t care to see the sketch before I get the tattoo.

Good luck

JeriGirl
Participant
@jerigirl

Thank you all again for the replies and all of the advice – I got the tattoo yesterday and it was a fantastic first experience! My artist was amazing and I think the tattoo is beautiful. I won’t lie, toughing out the 5 hours of pain is something I’m very proud of (even the shop’s owners were impressed!). Like I promised, here’s a pic!

Thank you all again!!!!

Call_me_Lola
Participant
@call_me_lola

That came out nice, I like it. Who’s the artist?

JeriGirl
Participant
@jerigirl

@Call_me_Lola 145802 wrote:

That came out nice, I like it. Who’s the artist?

Carol “Cricket” Jackie. She’s phenomenal!

I feel a little shy about sharing her name (internet privacy and all that), but she said she would like to use the piece in her portfolio – if the piece is going to be used for publicity anyway it seems silly to keep the name to myself!

She works at Rorschach Gallery in NJ. Just a side note: the shop was awarded “Best in NJ” a week or so ago! 🙂

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

@JeriGirl 145805 wrote:

Carol “Cricket” Just a side note: the shop was awarded “Best in NJ” a week or so ago! 🙂

Oh how I hate that. Shops don’t tattoo people tattooist do!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.