LadyFranki
Participant
@ladyfranki

I recently got a white ink tattoo on my left arm. It goes from the wrist to my shoulder and it’s mostly just lines. I got it because it was pretty and delicate and best thing I could still wear short sleeves at my job where most people do not have tattoos.

I have a tan complexion and recently went to Lake Havasu City in Arizona and was out in the sun quite a bit. I wore SPF 70 on the arm with the tattoo and tried to keep it as shaded as possible. So much so that my left arm is significantly lighter than my right. Every thing online says that the ink can brown cause your skin does as it tans, however the white ink is probably 3 shades darker than even my tanned arm. So my once very discrete tattoo looks like I had henna done. Does anyone know if this is going to fade? Is it my skin that has changed color or have I essentially baked/ruined the color of the ink? It’s so ugly now I would almost consider laser tattoo removal to get a once beautiful tattoo removed. Looking for any information anyone may have.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Yes most white ink will turn brownish didn’t your tattooer warn you of this?

jerryatrophy
Participant
@jerryatrophy

Its absolutely normal for white ink to discolor, especially when exposed to the sun. Two bad decisions in a row. Now just dive in headfirst and sleeve it out.

ezrider
Participant
@ezrider

@jerryatrophy 144210 wrote:

Now just dive in headfirst and sleeve it out.

Yep if you like the design just have it reworked and filled in with color

LadyFranki
Participant
@ladyfranki

@buttwheat 144208 wrote:

Yes most white ink will turn brownish didn’t your tattooer warn you of this?

Thanks for the info. No my tattoo artist didn’t warn me that the ink itself would discolor, he said the skin could appear darker. He just told me to not get excessive sun and when I was out in the sun to wear an SPF higher than 50. I specifically asked what he meant by “excessive sun” and if that meant no pool or boat trips and he said that kind of stuff was fine just to wear sunblock. So it sounds like this discoloring is permanent?

Call_me_Lola
Participant
@call_me_lola

Yes. It will stay brown. You should go back to show the artist, to educate them.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

@Call_me_Lola 144213 wrote:

Yes. It will stay brown. You should go back to show the artist, to educate them.

And by educate them she means kick him in the balls very hard many times

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

Sorry hun but it is what it is and now you’re stuck with it unless you remove or cover it. i have some white fill in on the hand grenade on my finger which is now kinda brown but im not really bothered to be honest. other than that all the white on me is jusst used as a small highlighter so its not noticeable.

pidjones
Participant
@pidjones

I seem to remember that white ink does not laser very well, although I doubt much has been worked on yet. Do research and make sure first! You don’t want to replace this with a scar. I’m seconding the sentiments that you go ahead and have it redone in color. Unless of course you want it to look like permanent henna, which is cool. At work, they will already know that you have it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.