Dyslexe
Participant
@dyslexe

Hey everyone, hoping to grab some advice or additional care tactics (:

So 3 and a half weeks ago I had my first tattoo started, everything seemed clean and I did my best with after care. It seemed fine up until a few days ago. Since then here is a sort of time line of what has happened:

1: my tattoo has remained scabbed and itchy pretty much since I got it. It is located on my foot and I had been told that it would take longer to heal in general so wasn’t concerned.

2. About 5 days ago I noticed that the area around my tattoo was red, this area goes all the way around the tat and extends about 1 cm out in each direction. The tattoo gets pretty itchy if I rub it accidentally now. However no other symptoms, no pain. Noticed slightly swollen lymph nodes next day.

3. 2 days ago I got a sudden fever, along with chills off and on, swollen lymph nodes. No other symptoms or pain. No change in tattoo.

4. Yesterday I talked to a doctor and a tattoo artist. The artist said it might be an allergic reaction or staph. I showed the doctor the tattoo and he said probably staph, and I was given antibotics. (Kerflex) still no change in tattoo.

5. Today I still have fever on and off, chills, swollen lymph nodes and I have now developed a cough… A sort of tickle in my throat. No change in tattoo, no heat, no pain, ect.

I know I have only been taking the antibiotics for 2 days, however I’m just looking for advice as it’s my first tat… Hoping maybe someone has had a similar experience or just has some extra knowledge to share.

Thanks in advance for any answers, I really appreciate them… and of course if my 7 day run with the antibotics does nothing or I get suddenly much worse I will seek medical attention (:

Thanks again, will try to answer any other questions to best of my knowledge!

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia

May be totally unrelated to your tattoo, you could just be sick, and because the tattoo is still fresh your immune system is reacting.
If it’s infected it’s something you’ve done (sorry but after that amount of time, it didn’t happen in the studio), or been in contact with. A pet or grass can be enough, it happens. But because the tattoo is only red with no other symptoms, it’s probable that you’re just sick.
Just do what the doctor says, relax and give it some time. Antibiotics take time to work.

Dyslexe
Participant
@dyslexe

Thanks for the reply! I’m starting to think that as well. I’ve heard infections can be pretty common, Ive tried to keep it as clean and taken care of as possible. Hopefully it will all clear up. Thanks again!

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

@Dyslexe 141558 wrote:

I’ve heard infections can be pretty common.

Welcome to the forum.
Pictures would be helpful.

I’ve only been involved with tattoos for a few years, but I think tattoo infections are rather rare occurrences.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.