Squidlett
    Participant
    @squidlett

Hello! I am a lover of art in all its forms, tattoos are no exception. I have known I’ve wanted one since I was a kid but grew up in a home where they were banned for religious reasons. That never stopped me from admiring and loving the artwork and when i broke free from that lifestyle, it definitely has been on my bucket list.

I have two in mind that I would like and I always wait a year or more when deciding on an ink idea I’d like to make sure it’s something I absolutely want. By the time I will be looking to get these done, it will have been four years since deciding on them, so I am confident in my choice. But I don’t have any tattoos yet, I don’t have any piercings either- both things I’d like to change. I just don’t know where to begin.

The designs I want are extremely simplistic, one being a text copied from my mother’s handwriting and the other a sentimental piece to represent my animal totem. I am willing to travel and shell out for quality, even though they are very simplistic I’m overly critical of art and want something beautifully done, I’m so paranoid of getting an artist that doesn’t care or won’t do a good job.

Here’s where my questions start:

I have a very bad experience with the last tattoo parlor I went into. I offered to buy my friend a tattoo which she had me design the art for for her birthday. But we were treated very judgmentally by the front desk attendant and artist there. They wouldn’t speak much to us or help explain the process, their art and I walked away thinking maybe we did something wrong, or they were offended by my artwork or we went about asking wrong being as we both knew not much about the actual process of the tattoo art industry, only the products of it. After leaving, I’ve been scared to go back into a parlor in fear of being judged and treated poorly- and I certainly don’t want someone who will be acting that way putting permanent marks on my skin.

What could I do better next time to receive a better reception? I want to be able to talk about my concerns and be open with the fact that I don’t know a lot about the process because I don’t have any tattoos, but I want to learn and I want the artists to be honest with me. I want their expertise, I want them to work with me and be able to tell me when my idea won’t look good on skin or offer a better way to do it.

Another question I have is that I’m hypoglycemic. I have a high pain tolerance but my blood sugar levels can be a problem. Is there anything that is suggested for people with low blood sugar upon considering a tattoo or piercing? Both pieces I want are not very large- one would be on the collar bone area which I assume may be worse on my blood sugar and the other is above the ankle, which I assume would be a lot more tolerable.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

I’ll give it a shot.
    As far as the shop experience…..some places are terrible. They cant all be the best. Your average street shop is just that, average.

If you want the best artwork possible then you need to be open to the artists ideas. Trust me , you’ll end up ahead if you let the artist draw up your idea.

Not really sure about the blood sugar thing.

The most important decision is the artist. There are great artists all over , but you have to do your homework. Find well respected and recommended artists then figure out whose style fits your idea. Then just call .

We can help on the reccomendations part. ๐Ÿ˜‰

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Find a better shop. Where are you located?
    Waiting a year on any tattoo sounds like something someone with no tattoos would say.
    I would say being hypoglycemic will have no effect as long as you are well hydrated and well feed.

Squidlett
    Participant
    @squidlett

I’m sure once I cave and get them, I’ll definitely want more and fall victim to the ink fever. I find body art to be beautiful and would love more, I just can’t trust myself to stick to one thing too long so I have to sit and wait. lol

I’m around the Chattanooga/TN area and wouldn’t mind traveling to find a really good artist. I’m definitely open to working with an artist because they know much more about the art form than I do- there is so much more to the art than just the result and I’d love to work with someone knowledgeable for the end result.

As far as the style I like, for the one I want for my totem animal- it is simplistic, a paw print type of art, but I want it to be very anatomically correct to the animal in a realism style (Such as splattered mud, ink pad press etc.) Since I’m sure once I get these two I’ll want more, I also love watercolour- type tattoos. I can respect all art forms, but Realism and watercolour are my favourite.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

You always wait a year, but you have no tattoos and you’ve thought of these for four years? Lack of logic, but I’ll bite.

Alright. Tattoo artists are human beings. Sometimes they have a bad day, maybe they think you’re underage or they’ve already done five of a similar design this week and maybe some of the questions you ask are so obvious to them, that on a bad day, they might not be the most humble or forth coming people. It happens. If you come in asking “can you draw up this design for me, give me a price, and then I’ll decide between you and the six other shops I’m asking to do the same?” You’re gonna have a bad time. Or maybe it was just a shitty shop, I have no idea. But I’m old school and like to think that tattooing isn’t a hospitality industry, they don’t tell you their specials and you have every opportunity to educate yourself before you come in. And I guess, that’s what you’re doing right now, so good choice!

Whatever you draw up isn’t gonna be what you get tattooed if you go to an amazing artist, unless you’re really freakin amazing at drawing and somehow got it right to suit your body as well. The clue is picking an amazing artist who you TRUST. When you look at their artwork and think you’d love anything they’d put on you. Once you find an artist like this, go talk to them. Tell them you chose them because you think they’d do an amazing job, but also that you have zero tattoos from before, and have quite a few questions. If you think it’s gonna take more than 15mins to answer, call in advance or send an e-mail, request a consultation (if they do them), or ask what time would be best for you to come by the shop and talk. Tell them about your idea, what you’re looking for, maybe point out pics in their portfolio or others that is similar to the style you’re looking for. You might not use the same vocabulary, so showing pictures always helps make sure you have a mutual understanding.

As for the low bloodsugar; I have very unstable blood sugar myself, + a severe vitamin deficiency causing me to bleed easily, and I sometimes pass out for no reason whatsoever. I’ve been tattooed for a total of 90 hours so far. Not a problem. You know your own body best; How do you react to being stressed, nervous, adrenaline shocked, being super excited and in pain at the same time? That’s a first tattoo experience more or less. (I passed out – twice) Personally I try to make sure I’ve slept and eaten well before an appointment, and bring coke and chocolate. Maybe a snack if it’s for a longer session. Just keep your blood sugar up, drink water and take breaks if you need to. Let the artist know before hand, they usually have sugar water or something laying around, as people pass out quite often in a tattoo shop.

TL;DR; Get a good artist you trust, bring sugar.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat
    Squidlett
    Participant
    @squidlett

You always wait a year, but you have no tattoos and you’ve thought of these for four years? Lack of logic –

I don’t have any tattoos yet. I have had several designs where I think “I’d like this”, so I wait a year, then decide at the end of the year I don’t really like it as much as I thought. So I have another design- then wait a year, see if I still like it. These particular ones I have sat on for four years and so I feel confident with that decision, does that make more sense?

I know it’s a hard job and I have a lot of respect for them being able to sit there with not so awesome customers doing not-so-awesome designs all the time and while I understand that, I’m someone who is very open to being told “hey, that idea is crap and this is why” because yeah. I don’t know anywhere near as much as they do about their profession and passion.

Thanks for the advice!

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

My wife carried a piece of artwork for her Scottish Thistle tattoo for a couple of years before she decided to get it.

I took a few weeks.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

@buttwheat 139793 wrote:

Black 13 Tattoo

This. Nicest shop I’ve ever been in. So much talent.

Amok
    Participant
    @amok

@jerryatrophy 139799 wrote:

This. Nicest shop I’ve ever been in. So much talent.

Much talent. Many respect.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Welcome to forums, I like your attitude to not jumping in specially with first one ๐Ÿ™‚

Great studio suggestion already but take a look at my signature link below on a PC ๐Ÿ™‚

Squidlett
    Participant
    @squidlett

@buttwheat 139793 wrote:

Black 13 Tattoo

They have some really great art and were one on my bookmark list, so it’s nice to see some recommendation for them. I also have this one bookmarked, if anyone has any experience with them?

Ian White Presents

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@Squidlett 139835 wrote:

They have some really great art and were one on my bookmark list, so it’s nice to see some recommendation for them. I also have this one bookmarked, if anyone has any experience with them?

Ian White Presents

Hit and miss stuff

Dan
    Participant
    @dan

@Squidlett 139779 wrote:

Hello! I am a lover of art in all its forms, tattoos are no exception. I have known I’ve wanted one since I was a kid but grew up in a home where they were banned for religious reasons. That never stopped me from admiring and loving the artwork and when i broke free from that lifestyle, it definitely has been on my bucket list.

I have two in mind that I would like and I always wait a year or more when deciding on an ink idea I’d like to make sure it’s something I absolutely want. By the time I will be looking to get these done, it will have been four years since deciding on them, so I am confident in my choice. But I don’t have any tattoos yet, I don’t have any piercings either- both things I’d like to change. I just don’t know where to begin.

The designs I want are extremely simplistic, one being a text copied from my mother’s handwriting and the other a sentimental piece to represent my animal totem. I am willing to travel and shell out for quality, even though they are very simplistic I’m overly critical of art and want something beautifully done, I’m so paranoid of getting an artist that doesn’t care or won’t do a good job.

Here’s where my questions start:

I have a very bad experience with the last tattoo parlor I went into. I offered to buy my friend a tattoo which she had me design the art for for her birthday. But we were treated very judgmentally by the front desk attendant and artist there. They wouldn’t speak much to us or help explain the process, their art and I walked away thinking maybe we did something wrong, or they were offended by my artwork or we went about asking wrong being as we both knew not much about the actual process of the tattoo art industry, only the products of it. After leaving, I’ve been scared to go back into a parlor in fear of being judged and treated poorly- and I certainly don’t want someone who will be acting that way putting permanent marks on my skin.

What could I do better next time to receive a better reception? I want to be able to talk about my concerns and be open with the fact that I don’t know a lot about the process because I don’t have any tattoos, but I want to learn and I want the artists to be honest with me. I want their expertise, I want them to work with me and be able to tell me when my idea won’t look good on skin or offer a better way to do it.

Another question I have is that I’m hypoglycemic. I have a high pain tolerance but my blood sugar levels can be a problem. Is there anything that is suggested for people with low blood sugar upon considering a tattoo or piercing? Both pieces I want are not very large- one would be on the collar bone area which I assume may be worse on my blood sugar and the other is above the ankle, which I assume would be a lot more tolerable.

if I understand hypoglycemic correctly,it shouldn’t effect your experience, I am not hypoglycemic,but it helps me a lot to bring M&M’s and Skittles to eat while I get tattooed,and like was said,pre-hydrate and have some cold water to drink while getting the tattoo.

and like everything in life,there are asshole tattoo shops & people,and there are some very cool & friendly shops.

go find a better shop.

Squidlett
    Participant
    @squidlett

@peterpoose 139815 wrote:

Welcome to forums, I like your attitude to not jumping in specially with first one ๐Ÿ™‚

Great studio suggestion already but take a look at my signature link below on a PC ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks, I’ll have to check out your list

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.