Nightsabra1
Participant
@nightsabra1

I’m really just looking for a good amount to save up for my first tattoo. Tip to the artist included, as well as assuming they charge a fee to draw my design. Not sure if this is really possible, so if you know a way for me to determine it or if I might as well just go ask, please share!

Thanks in advance. I’m a newb skin.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

somewhere between $100 to $10,000. Lots of factors to consider.

Call_me_Lola
Participant
@call_me_lola

Welcome to the forum. That question is sort of like asking “how much is a car”.

It depends on so many factors.

How big will it be. How detailed. Colour or black and grey. Some artists charge by the hour, and some by the piece. Some are speedy and some work a lot slower. And the rates vary widely from country to country, and even from city to city.

For instance where I am the average shop rate is about 170-180 dollars/hour. My local artist charges $200 an hour or more. A good friend of mine only pays $60/hour, but she gets really shitty tattoos done by an apprentice (who I wouldn’t let near my skin with a felt pen).

But you might as well start by saving up a butt-load of cash, cuz after you get your first one I bet you get another. And another. 😉

Finally, the best advice that I can give a newbie is this: Once you are ready to go for it and find an artist who’s style you like come back to the forum and post a link to their work BEFORE you put down a deposit. Ask us if they are any good. The good folk here will give you an educated opinion on whether the artist has any talent or not.

In the meantime, find one of PeterPoose’s posts and check out the link in his signature. You cannot go wrong with any of the artists on his list. And they have many pictures of amazing tattoos to look at. If you are lucky one may be near you.

Nightsabra1
Participant
@nightsabra1

@Call_me_Lola 137281 wrote:

Welcome to the forum. That question is sort of like asking “how much is a car”.

It depends on so many factors.

How big will it be. How detailed. Colour or black and grey. Some artists charge by the hour, and some by the piece. Some are speedy and some work a lot slower. And the rates vary widely from country to country, and even from city to city.

For instance where I am the average shop rate is about 170-180 dollars/hour. My local artist charges $200 an hour or more. A good friend of mine only pays $60/hour, but she gets really shitty tattoos done by an apprentice (who I wouldn’t let near my skin with a felt pen).

But you might as well start by saving up a butt-load of cash, cuz after you get your first one I bet you get another. And another. 😉

Finally, the best advice that I can give a newbie is this: Once you are ready to go for it and find an artist who’s style you like come back to the forum and post a link to their work BEFORE you put down a deposit. Ask us if they are any good. The good folk here will give you an educated opinion on whether the artist has any talent or not.

In the meantime, find one of PeterPoose’s posts and check out the link in his signature. You cannot go wrong with any of the artists on his list. And they have many pictures of amazing tattoos to look at. If you are lucky one may be near you.

Thank you so much, this should help! And my dad used to be a tattooist (I know, I should be asking him all of the questions, lol), so I’ve known them for so long I just keep coming up with ideas. I don’t know when I’ll stop getting tattoos…

jerryatrophy
Participant
@jerryatrophy

You should just have your dad tattoo you….

Kidding.

To reinforce what was already stated about regional differences. In my town the average shop is $100 an hour. But were in a military town, very competitive.

Nightsabra1
Participant
@nightsabra1

@jerryatrophy 137289 wrote:

You should just have your dad tattoo you….

Kidding.

To reinforce what was already stated about regional differences. In my town the average shop is $100 an hour. But were in a military town, very competitive.

I definitely would if I could, but he doesn’t do that stuff anymore. He doesn’t have a steady enough hand for it, ha.
But thanks for the input.

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

The first shop I dealt with charged by the square inch. The price was the same if you had a tattoo with a lot of open area or a solid tattoo. (They’re out of business)

Minimum would be at least $100.00 per hour and up. Way up.

You get what you pay for, and remember, you’ll have it for the rest of your life.

Oh! Send pictures.

Nightsabra1
Participant
@nightsabra1

@Sam-I-Am 137326 wrote:

The first shop I dealt with charged by the square inch. The price was the same if you had a tattoo with a lot of open area or a solid tattoo. (They’re out of business)

Minimum would be at least $100.00 per hour and up. Way up.

You get what you pay for, and remember, you’ll have it for the rest of your life.

Oh! Send pictures.

Thanks for the input!
And yup, really have to save up for something great.

I shall if I remember. 🙂

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

Ive paid between £100 to £200 an hour:)

Nightsabra1
Participant
@nightsabra1

@peterpoose 137331 wrote:

Great, thank you!
I actually looked in your list to find an artist. 🙂

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

@Nightsabra1 137334 wrote:

Great, thank you!
I actually looked in your list to find an artist. 🙂

Great I hope it helped abit:)

Call_me_Lola
Participant
@call_me_lola

@peterpoose 137331 wrote:

Huh. With the quality of the artists who scribble on you I would have expected to see that you paid more than that. But I live In the city with the highest cost of living in North America, so the artists here have quite high rates. Can’t blame ’em. They gots bills to pay too. (It is also one of the most beautiful cities to live in.)

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

@Call_me_Lola 137356 wrote:

Huh. But I live In the city with the highest cost of living in North America,

Is that why all the Asian Canadians come down here to shop?

Call_me_Lola
Participant
@call_me_lola

@buttwheat 137367 wrote:

Is that why all the Asian Canadians come down here to shop?

Exactly.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

@Call_me_Lola 137356 wrote:

Huh. With the quality of the artists who scribble on you I would have expected to see that you paid more than that. But I live In the city with the highest cost of living in North America, so the artists here have quite high rates. Can’t blame ’em. They gots bills to pay too. (It is also one of the most beautiful cities to live in.)

Nope 200 is the most I have paid but that’s without the travelling etc! That’s pounds BTW not dollars lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.