meeeshell
Participant
@meeeshell

Hey guys 🙂

Last month, I got my first *professional* tattoo, and I love it.. for the most part. My tattoo artist went on a tattooing convention tour (for awhile) before he was able to color/finish the whole piece, so I have some time to ponder this decision. The tattoo is halfway outlined/drawn, and I am so unhappy with the size/proportion of the mushrooms on my front thigh. I think he did a great job otherwise, and I do not want to insult him, but I *really* want the front mushrooms covered up with a darker flower (or whatever will work best to cover up). This custom piece is my devotion to the wild edible and medicinal plants I grew up foraging, so the size and dimensions of the plants/fungi really matter to me. I think the proportion of the mushrooms on the front of my thigh are wacky, and really don’t make sense.

photo2_zps47d18088.jpg

So here’s my question: Is it possible to have him cover the mushrooms with different, possibly darker colored flowers? He outlined everything with a very thick line, and some parts are shaded *black*. I really wanted to ask you guys first before I get an answer from him.

photo3_zps6cf39632.jpg

I’m afraid he won’t want to cover them up, and I will insult him since this is his drawing. He’s a great artist, the last thing I want to do is upset him, but this is my body and I feel strongly about the mushroom cover-up.

What do you guys think? Any and all input is welcome. Thanks!

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

Welcome to the forum!

Let him know your concerns. See if he has a solution.

Good luck, keep us posted.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Welcome

That would be real easy to switch it up into a Polynesian themed tattoo and make those mushrooms into tiki huts.

No tell him how you feel it’s your leg. If you feel he is getting offended get up and walk out you don’t want someone who is all pissed tattooing you. there is a shit ton of super talented tattooists out there nowadays.

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

@buttwheat 130485 wrote:

Polynesian themed tattoo and make those mushrooms into tiki huts.

My first thought was that those were tiki huts.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

They look fine to me but as you said it’s bothering you. You are the customer, you have to live with it for the rest of your life.

Tell him and be straight!

meeeshell
Participant
@meeeshell

@buttwheat 130485 wrote:

Welcome

That would be real easy to switch it up into a Polynesian themed tattoo and make those mushrooms into tiki huts.

No tell him how you feel it’s your leg. If you feel he is getting offended get up and walk out you don’t want someone who is all pissed tattooing you. there is a shit ton of super talented tattooists out there nowadays.

Thanks for your input. They do kind of look like tiki huts, lol.

I can’t reach him as he’s been out of town for awhile, but IYO, is it possible to cover up the mushrooms with flowers? I don’t know much about tattoo cover ups, and especially this one because the lines are so heavy I’m wondering if that will make it impossible to hide beneath flowers?

Tecratt
Participant
@tecratt

Cover ups are usually sketchy at best. Those are indeed thick lines, but you never know. If you aren’t happy with it, don’t keep going with it. The more you have done the harder it is to cover. I would talk with your artist about your concerns.

jerryatrophy
Participant
@jerryatrophy

It really pays to spend a few minutes looking at the stencil and going over every detail.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

If you truly hate the mushrooms, you should just stop right now and have them lasered off, and then get some flowers or something in their place. Don’t continue with it, as anything you do will always be a compromise and therefore you’ll never be truly happy with the end product.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.