sisterbiscuit
Participant
@sisterbiscuit

I have a few tattoos, but I’ve never before planned something large – including work that will have to be completed a little at a time.

I’m a huge fan of the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica series, and I’ve decided my left arm is going to be my BSG arm. Last year, I got a tattoo on the inside of my forearm with a skull and crossbones that says “Frak Off” – which is the official BSG F-word.

I knew I wanted a tattoo of my favorite character (Laura Roslin) but there are no really great iconic images or artwork of her in the publicity materials – so I wasn’t sure what to do.

Just recently, I found a website that has compiled (pretty decent) screenshots of every episode, and I had the idea to plan a sleeve using images from that website that reflect the character’s journey throughout the series. I’m thinking mostly images, but a little bit of text too.

I don’t necessarily need to have completely photo-realistic, portrait type tattoos – I’d be happy with a stylized “sketch” type of image – and I have an example of a single “remarque” type sketch an artist did for me that is kind of along the lines of what I’m thinking.

I don’t yet have the whole thing planned out yet, but I’m pretty close to knowing what I want.

So – on to my questions of planning out and getting a sleeve – and, be advised, some of these are going to be dumb.

1) Do most people work with one tattoo artist to complete the entire sleeve – so the style is the same? Do you think that would be important with what I am going for?

That would make sense to me – but, I just wanted to know how people usually do it. Also, there is a tattoo & horror convention coming up in a few weeks in my hometown & Amy Nicoletto (from LA Ink) is going to be there. I’d love to get the first image done by her (as, from what I’ve seen, her B&W portrait work looks really good) – but, there is no way I’d end up getting the whole sleeve done by her.

2) And – this depends on #1 above – is it important to have the whole sleeve completely plotted out before you begin or does it work okay to slowly add to it over time. I know there are certain sizing and location concerns.

Um – so – obviously, I know nothing. LOL. I will take ANY advice and opinions you care to give me. I have a pretty firm idea of what I want, but, like I said, I don’t have it completely plotted out yet. And, it’s going to be something that I’ll be doing over a long period of time. As much as I love tattoos, I don’t usually have a ton of extra money to spend on them.

Thanks!!!

argedion
Participant
@argedion

you can break a sleeve down into several parts that shouldn’t be a problem. I would recommend thought that you use one artist to do the sleeve. Why because they already know what you want and how your going to do it. Also they will draw it all out and then piece it together so you already know what your getting next and how the filler is going to work. As far as plotting it out over time that could work but really should have the main images ready when you go in to start. I am currently doing my sleeve in pieces however the artist has all the work for it together already. Having the everything together does kind of block future images you may find but if you don’t have much done you can work in some substitution with your artist. As far as having another artist work see how your main artist feels about it. You don’t want to offend them.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

Hey mate, welcome to the forums 🙂

Firstly there is no rule set in stone that you must have one artist doing it. A collaboration of different artists can work awesome, as can a whole sleeve done by one artist.

Sounds like an interesting sleeve.

Just because she is on TV doesn’t make her good. I just had a quick look at her portfolio and I wouldn’t let her tattoo me but I’m a tattoo snob lol There are so many better artists out there. Check out the list I made of top class artists from around the world in my signature below 🙂

You say that due to finances you will have to take your time. I would probably in your shoes choose an artist or artists closer to where you live otherwise you are going incur travel expenses etc.

You can add as you go I guess if you have a top artist as they will plan ahead but personally I like to prepare a whole host of pictures and then let the artist design and place them.

Hope this helps 🙂

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

Welcome to the forum!

I had a session with my current artist (Anthony) today. An artist that worked on me prior (Lindsay) was invited because Anthony had some suggestions for the piece she had done last year. She mentioned last year that she always wanted to do a velociraptor tattoo. My son’s girlfriend is a comic artist and did some velociraptor sketches. Now they both have the sketches and are going to collaborate on a back piece. Lindsay has talent but can gain some fine points by working with Anthony.

Call_me_Lola
Participant
@call_me_lola

@peterpoose 124932 wrote:

Hey mate, welcome to the forums 🙂

Just because she is on TV doesn’t make her good. I just had a quick look at her portfolio and I wouldn’t let her tattoo me but I’m a tattoo snob lol There are so many better artists out there. Check out the list I made of top class artists from around the world in my signature below 🙂

He may call himself a tattoo snob but if you check out his albums you will see that PeterPoose gets work from TATTOO GODS!! True masters of the art. Really amazing shit. Mindblowing works of art. (and yes, I’m totally jealous – OMG that sleeve!!)

You really should follow the advice he has offered. Definitely check out his list to see who is near you that you like. It is a great resource. And if you have to wait a while to get in to see the right artist then WAIT. I promise you it will be worth it!!

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

In TN check out josh woods. Though amy is a well known artist with a good reputation, I like to thini I am a tattoo snob as well and would probably go a different rpute.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

Looking at the roster the only one I recognize besides amy is jeff zuck. He is a great artist but I don’t think his style suits what you’re looking for.

sisterbiscuit
Participant
@sisterbiscuit

Awww, thanks everyone – a lot of really good advice.

I’ll definitely check out the artist(s) you recommended and those from Peter’s Brag List.

I’ll keep you posted – and, anyone else who wants to chime in – I’m all for it! 🙂

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

@Call_me_Lola 124944 wrote:

He may call himself a tattoo snob but if you check out his albums you will see that PeterPoose gets work from TATTOO GODS!! True masters of the art. Really amazing shit. Mindblowing works of art. (and yes, I’m totally jealous – OMG that sleeve!!)

You really should follow the advice he has offered. Definitely check out his list to see who is near you that you like. It is a great resource. And if you have to wait a while to get in to see the right artist then WAIT. I promise you it will be worth it!!

lol thanks for the nice comments Lola:)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.