Shuketi
Participant
@shuketi

I’m 17 years old, still in high school. Since I was little (and I mean 5 or 6 years old), I’ve always known that tattooing was definitely for me.
I love being creative and drawing, but I’ve a few problems.
>I’ve never had a ‘foundation’ for my art. Most of it is by eye, and I use references from different images.
>When creating a drawing, I’m very slow and tend to stop working on a certain thing due to mental roadblocks and loss in confidence.
>Sometimes my motivation is missing, and can’t summon the energy to face a paper & pencil, no matter how much I long to do it. It’s conflicting feelings, and I don’t know how to explain that, actually..

I know they say practice makes perfect, but what do I practice off of? Do I re-sketch finished tattoos of others to get an idea?
Do I keep throwing myself into challenges that I never finish because of intimidation?

I don’t want to be told, “oh, you lack the necessities of being a true tattoo artist,” because this is my dream, and my everything else. I just need help and a little guidance so I can work through these blockades.

Thank you!

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

Welcome to the forum!

There is an excellent thread under “general tattoo discussion” it is “So you want to be a tattoo artist”

I am a doodeler. I always have paper and pen or pencil close by. I draw anything. If you are drawing only tattoos, pick an item in front of you and turn it into a tattoo. A paper clip, bottle opener, wrist watch, anything. (I like drawing nude women!)

Good luck, keep us posted.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Take art classes at a collage level. Work on a portfolio show all different styles of drawing. Search out an apprenticeship. DO NOT pick up a tattoo machine until instructed by your mentor. A lot of mentors won’t even think about mentoring you if you have been scratching. you pick up bad habits that are hard to break.
Good luck

iggybuddi
Participant
@iggybuddi

@buttwheat 120493 wrote:

Take art classes at a collage level.

I know I’m being a total grammar nazi, but I can’t stand this one: fellow classmates at my COLLEGE make this mistake and it makes me wonder how they made it to college.

CollEge- Very expensive secondary education. CollAge- ‘A form of art in which various materials such as photographs and pieces of paper or fabric are arranged and stuck to a backing.’

Again, sorry Buttwheat, just had to get that out. Please forgive me. ๐Ÿ™‚

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

@iggybuddi 120496 wrote:

Again, sorry Buttwheat, just had to get that out. Please forgive me. ๐Ÿ™‚

I never went to college I barley made it through High school so please forgive my incompetency of this perplexing language of English. :confused: ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

Hi Iggy!

Art classes at collAge level may be appropriate here.

I’m a soup nazi.

iggybuddi
Participant
@iggybuddi

@buttwheat 120498 wrote:

I never went to college I barley made it through High school so please forgive my incompetency of this perplexing language of English. :confused: ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m hoping you intentionally spelt barely as barley to make your point and to poke fun at my nazi-ness. ๐Ÿ™‚

@Sam-I-Am 120499 wrote:

Hi Iggy!

Art classes at collAge level may be appropriate here.

I’m a soup nazi.

Haha, clever. What in the hell is a soup nazi?

Shuketi
Participant
@shuketi

Thank you! I read that and it did answer a few questions. ^^
I appreciate the help, sir!

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

Thanks Shuketi, keep us posted! (please don’t call me sir!)

Iggy,

Television show “Seinfeld” had an episode with a soup chef so anal about his soup that if you did not order it in a precise manner he would refuse to sell it and ban you from his shop. He was the “soup nazi”.

I make a lot of different soups and other things for different events. My friends sometimes refer to me as the “soup Nazi”.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.