that tattood cat
@

I am not a shop owner. In about a year or 2 I will be opening a shop. I want to know what your favorite shop was like. What is it that made it the best shop you have ever been in? What makes people got o the same shop over and over. We all obviously have our own favorite artist but other than that. What was it about that shop that made you feel like that was the place you wanted to get a tatoo from? I know what mine was but I would like to hear the opinions of others. Thanks for your opinions

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

My decision to get a tattoo from a particular artist is made long before I ever see the shop. Likewise, my decision to return to that artist is based upon the work they do and their general attitude as well. If an artist does great work, but they’re a total asshole, I won’t go back. That said, Joe Capo’s Hope Gallery is my favortie shop thus far. It just has a really great look and feel to it.

5045159358_fd3a971c1b_z.jpg

ArniVidar
@arnividar

The artist first and foremost, but I’d never stay in a store that allowed smoking inside, or felt “dirty” in any way. It was bad enough that the next artist over went out for a smoke and came back smelling like an ashtray.

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

The shops that I like are all well maintained. Fresh paint, clean, well kept floors, framed artwork on the walls, warm colors. The shop where I work is all cool colors and it feels kind of like a doctor’s office sometimes. It is super clean though. I like shops where it looks like some time and money went into building it. I prefer ceramic tiles over commercial vinyl tiles. I also like hardwood cabinets over standard white. Stainless steel work surfaces, etc…

I guess I know what my shop is going to look like when I’m ready to go off on my own.

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

Ultimately, the people that work at the shop will be the important part. If you are a bunch of good guys and great artists, you’ll have an awesome shop.

Zorba
Participant
@zorba

As everyone else said, the artist(s)!

I only have the one tattoo – so that means I’ve only been to one shop thus far – but I’m booked for my second at a totally different shop. The first shop was great, but the second just GLEAMS. Unlike a different poster, I’d prefer linoleum flooring – much easier to keep clean. Ceramic tile looks great, but Goddess only knows what’s living in the grout. Not that it should make that much difference – its the *floor* after all – but if it gleams its just extra points!

Private, or at least high walled, “cubes” in a multi-artist shop would be a nice touch, as would something besides acid rock as background music.

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

We have commercial vinyl tile in our shop. It’s ok but it definitely shows wear after some time. Ceramic tile is way tougher. Besides if you clean it properly every night like you’re supposed to there should never be a problem.

Adler
Participant
@adler

I love traveling to different shops and artists so I’ve experienced different atmospheres. My first tattoo was done in a shop/art gallery that could have passed for a doctor’s office with seperate rooms and everything so white and professional looking. Then I’ve been in street shops with flash lined walls, cramped quarters, little to no client privacy and artists and clients walking all about. To be honest I think I prefer the latter…they just seem more like a real tattoo shop the way they’re supposed to be and used to be. I really like the old school street shop environment.

My latest tattoo was done at Three Kings in Brookly, NY. A classic tattoo shop, I loved it!
002-1.jpg

threekings.jpg

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

I choose great artists, not shops, however it seems great artists usually work in shops, brandon bonds all or nothing, vince villalvazos mystic owl tattoo, russ abbotts ink and dagger all really nice looking clean shops,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.