Tara93
Participant
@tara93

Hi, I’m new to this forum.
I’m dying for a new tattoo, and I’ve been thinking about getting a half sleeve for a while now.

I want something with a feminist/LGBTQ theme.

My ideas so far are a feminist fist (image here: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=6279939), a rainbow running through the half sleeve (if that makes sense), some text saying ‘smash patriarchy’ with a picture of a hammer, and a background comprised of pink and black triangles.

I’m not sure about sizing or anything yet, but I just want to know your opinions on whether there are enough ideas here to make a half sleeve? I just want to know I’m going in the right direction, and I don’t want to go to a tattoo artist if I don’t have enough ideas yet.

Thank you, everyone.

ALEX55
Participant
@alex55

sounds like a cool idea to me but your tattoo artist is the best person to ask these questions to he or she will tell you everything you need to know 🙂

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

i cant open that link you put up but it sounds like there’s an awful lot of different elements you’re trying to put together. an iron fist or hammer and some script like what you propose would go together in an awsome black and grey stule with lots of shading and detail, but putting a huge colourful rainbow and other feminist things which i presume would also be in colour would clash and not in a good way. i think there is a lot you can do with a sleeve and it would be a shame to spoil it by squeezing in too many different things, so i would think about what are the most important elements and the kind of style you would like e.g. bright and colourful, black and grey with some colour highlights, black and grey and detailed, cartoon styled or photo realist etc. once you have an idea of this it will be much easier to put these items together so that they fit with each other 🙂 good luck x

Tara93
Participant
@tara93

Thank you for your replies.
Kittykat200, my idea was to have everything in black, apart from the background of triangles (which will be pink and black) and the rainbow. I want it to have colour in it, I don’t want the whole sleeve to be black, but at the same time, not so much that it clashes. I want it to stand out on my arm somewhat though.

A possibility I had in mind was to have the background of triangles outlined in black, and only some of them coloured in. This really is only in the planning process right now, as you’ve probably guessed.

Do you think the rainbow is too much in there too then? Also, do you think text can work in a sleeve, I’ve heard that it can look quite strange, and it’s quite an unusual thing to do; but I’ve never seen firsthand. I just don’t want to incorporate it if it’s going to look out of place.

My essential things to have in there are the (black) feminist fist and the pink and black triangles – I’ve had those in mind for a long time.

Thank you again for your advice.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Look’s cool man, post up some pictures when you have got it done.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

I think finding the right tattooist is crucial for this one. There are some good tattoo artists that are gay and would probably have a fun time with this.
Maybe we can help find a good tattooist for you, What part of the world are you in?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.