Dasch-attack
Participant
@dasch-attack

Hey guys, just joined this forum a couple of hours ago trying to learn a bit more about tattoos being as I’m getting a half sleeve here pretty soon.

I just read a post that had quite a few comments on the quality of some tatts that people get when they are 18 and it kind of has me wondering lol.

The guy that I set up an appointment with charges $120 an hour for black and grey ( which is what I’m getting)
Is this way too cheap compared to other artist?? It would be greatly appreciated if some members could tell me what you paid for your tattoo. Also, he said that if I pay him up front for the piece he could knock off a couple hundred. I really like him and he seems like a good guy but I just want to make sure I get great quality work.

I’m getting an eye looking down on a destructed city, with a road in the middle and buildings on both sides and the road is going to have some objects in it and a lot of details that is probably too much to explain, but he asked quite a few questions and made sure he had every detail that I wanted written down. But I did tell him he could have as much freedom as he wanted with it because he is the artist.

I honestly think his work is really good, but I’m not a tattoo expert, the lines look great to me but IF anyone has any oppinions good or bad on his work I would love to know.. here is a link to his portfolio: http://www.blinktattoos.com/portfolio-black.html

I’m pretty set on going to him because he is good at custom designs and i think he would be best for this one in my opinion. Thanks in advance guys!!

P.S. sorry if I seem like a troll asking this question. I’m really not lol

StandardIssue
Participant
@standardissue

This guy’s black and gray work is average…so if you’re looking for average ink, you’re in luck.

Why I said what I said: The artist knows how to contrast between black, light black and skin….but he has no colors in between, also he has not demonstrated even one piece with a focal point OR (and most importantly) atmospheric perspective.

What did I just say? : his shading is average, and his pieces have no flow… also he has no ability to demonstrate what is ‘close’ or ‘far’ to the viewers’ perspective

What’s my conclusion: honestly, at $120 an hour I think he’s a steal……….. compared to high end work…ummmm, no, don’t even go there.

You only have one canvas for your entire lifetime, make it count!

^^^^ that was my original post just reading your first couple of setences…. after reading your whole post here it goes…

–if you’re looking to knock a couple hundred off this guy you need to realize he’s ‘worth’ the money…..if you’re looking to knock off money off any artist at all, you might need to wait a while before your first piece of ink…. tattoos are a luxury, make no mistake about it

— you also said you’re looking for comparisons….are you looking for average work to average work…..or are you trying to compare this guy to world renound black and gray artists?

Dasch-attack
Participant
@dasch-attack

Standard Issue, thanks for the input. Money definitely does not matter at all. I’m very aware that its going to be on my body forever. I would pay a high end artist 300 an hour if i knew I would love it.

My only problem is most artist in the Dallas area have very little or no black and grey work on their portfiolio at all. I had a consult with Mark Thompson but he didnt seem to excited about the piece,

Another question I have, I still want to go with this guy just because my travel options are limited and I have faith in him( although if I knew any other black and grey artist in my area I would get it done by them) If the drawing he has blows my mind, will the tatt come out like the drawing?? I’m obviously new to this so sorry for the newbie ?’s

And the comparisons would be with these shops: http://www.markthompsontattoo.com/

http://www.stainlessstudios.net/artists/
http://www.elmstreettattoo.com/oliver1.html (probably cant get an appt with him though i tried but no response, Dean emailed me back but he has no portfolio)
http://www.depictiontattoo.com/ ( any of their artist)
pretty much any tattoo artist in the dallas area that I wont have to wait a year to get an appt with.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

I don’t have any suggestions offhand, but I think “average” is actually being pretty generous. As for his rate, I have no idea what the norm is in Texas. Tony Mancia only charges $150/hr in Georgia and his work is incredible, whereas there are mediocre guys in NYC charging $175/hr. Then again, I doubt the rent for a shitty studio apartment in Atlanta is $4K/mth (which is what some of the apartments in the Village run).

Dasch-attack
Participant
@dasch-attack

I know it isnt famous art work but I have really tried a lot of tattoo artist and I cant seem to find any at all that specialize in black and grey and the one that I have found didnt seem so great either.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

If it were me I would pass. he is extremely average.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

If it were me I would pass. he is extremely average.

I don’t know how far you are willing to go? Dan Henk is pretty awesome http://danhenk.com/

Dasch-attack
Participant
@dasch-attack

Thanks ButtWheat, I am on the edge about it, but I’m just wondering will I be able to tell if it is going to be a good tattoo by his drawing??

That guy has some really nice work but I dont know if I can go all that far, If I could get an appt with the guy and finish it all in one session then I’d do it in a heart beat.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
Dasch-attack;102850 wrote:
Thanks ButtWheat, I am on the edge about it, but I’m just wondering will I be able to tell if it is going to be a good tattoo by his drawing??

NO I have seen some that can draw rel great but can’t tattoo for shit and the other way around.

Dasch-attack;102850 wrote:
That guy has some really nice work but I dont know if I can go all that far, If I could get an appt with the guy and finish it all in one session then I’d do it in a heart beat.

Email him and book a whole day It’s only a 3-4 hour drive

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

How about Rember at Cat Tattoo in Addison?

remportrait.jpg

gothic%20skull.jpg

devil%20mask%202%20(2).jpg

Black%20Knight.jpg

lion.jpg

StandardIssue
Participant
@standardissue
D3FiANC3;102831 wrote:
Tony Mancia only charges $150/hr in Georgia and his work is incredible, whereas there are mediocre guys in NYC charging $175/hr. Then again, I doubt the rent for a shitty studio apartment in Atlanta is $4K/mth (which is what some of the apartments in the Village run).

^^Very, very good point that I overlooked, especially considering I come from the land of the later of the two

Dasch-attack, you said, ” Hey guys, just joined this forum a couple of hours ago trying to learn a bit more about tattoos being as I’m getting a half sleeve here pretty soon.” …. I really doubt you’re going to be able to get it done in one sitting, I think Buttwheat is being a bit ambitious on that, especially if we’re talking the top half of your arm (you’ll see how much fun the inside of the bicep and armpit are)

And as Buttwheat said, there’s no way you can compare skin art to canvas art in all cases.

Dasch-attack
Participant
@dasch-attack

Thanks Defiance I’m going to email him and see if I can get an appt in. And yeah I heard the inside of the arm is pretty painful. I am liking Rembers work though so I’ll try to make that work. Theres not too many artist in my area that I think are absolutely amazing tho.. =(

Dasch-attack
Participant
@dasch-attack

Okay so I decided that I’ll probably have to expand my search from the Dallas Fort worth area. So does anybody know any good tattoo artist in Texas?? Ive searched around and I like Dan henk, and this guy: http://www.texasbodyart.com/JohnnyJackson.html

Other than that I havent really found anyone else. Thanks for the help.

StandardIssue
Participant
@standardissue

Well, you’re starting to look at better artists, that’s for sure. Having said that, this guy johnny jackson seems to have a very cartoonish style, which is not my cup of tea..but he’s good at what he does. Be careful though if you want realistic ink, look at his piece of J.C. it’s not exactly good IMHO but that’s bc he’s a cartooner and the person wanted realism.

And also be careful of his black & grey, that’s average at best. If you’re going for colored and cartoonish then he’s a much better choice than the first guy you had mentioned.

Dasch-attack
Participant
@dasch-attack

Yeah and What I am going for is actually black and grey realism lol.. His work did seem pretty good though.

I also, looked at this guy, he doesnt have much on his portfolio but It seems like on all his pieces I can tell whats close and whats far away, and it seems like he has good flow( although I’m not sure if I can really tell what flow is lol..) another plus is that he is right next to me so it would be easy to set up an appointment with him.

Heres his link:
http://www.depictiontattoo.com/artists/brandonellis.html

Thanks guys!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.