Persistance
Participant
@persistance

i have a medium sized tattoo near my wrist area. it’s visible. is it a must to tell employers that i have this tattoo, if i cover it up? they’ll never see it, but if they find out i could get into a lot of trouble.

i love this tattoo, and i would never remove it, but i don’t want to ruin the chances of getting a job.

i don’t think honesty is the best policy in this case.

just for your info it’s not an offensive tattoo in any way, but it is visible…

i use a makeup product that covers it completely so they’d never have to know.

i googled but i couldn’t get any info on this topic.

Briscogun
Participant
@briscogun
Persistance;101399 wrote:
i have a medium sized tattoo near my wrist area. it’s visible. is it a must to tell employers that i have this tattoo, if i cover it up? they’ll never see it, but if they find out i could get into a lot of trouble.

i love this tattoo, and i would never remove it, but i don’t want to ruin the chances of getting a job.

i don’t think honesty is the best policy in this case.

just for your info it’s not an offensive tattoo in any way, but it is visible…

i use a makeup product that covers it completely so they’d never have to know.

i googled but i couldn’t get any info on this topic.

There is no hard and fast rule one way or the other on this. Most employers are allowed to set their own policies on what they do and do not deem as acceptable appearance. If you are going to be in a customer facing role than tattoos may not present the image that an employer is trying to deliver to the public. That’s something you need to consider. Disney does not even allow men to have facial hair of any kind if you are in a customer facing role. Their comany, their rules.

That being said, if you are going to be in a business attire type position, if you go in with a long sleeve dress shirt on and don’t advertise your ink, I wouldn’t be concerned. Do not go and tell, though. It’s not something that an employer is generally legally allowed to ask (can be construed as discriminitory). If it’s visible, its fair game. But if you have a tattoo on the small of your back where I’ll never see it, I can’t ask about that and then use that as a hiring factor. But I CAN use whatever I see as decision making information.

If they specifically tell you during the interview process that visible tattoos and piercings are not acceptable, then show them your wrist and ask if a long sleeve shirt will do the job and make them happy.

As a hiring manager in a customer facing professional environment, I do have an employee with a wrist tattoo that is mostly covered by long sleeve dress shirts. I don’t worry about it.

Don’t advertise it, but I’d make sure you are applying for a position that would allow a little more “personal expression”. Most office type, non-customer facing environments will be more liberal and lenient.

Good luck with it!

JENerationX
Participant
@jenerationx

Why do they need to know it’s there if they’ll never see it? If you’re in an interview and they state that they don’t allow visible tattoos, then I would ask if you’re OK as long as you wear long sleeves or cover it otherwise. If they don’t have a policy and the tattoo isn’t visible, then what’s the issue?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.