leftygirl
Participant
@leftygirl

So when I turned 18 I decided to be a badass and go get myself a tattoo…without really knowing anything about it. I just randomly picked a tribal butterfly off the flash on the wall and got it on my back right shoulder. It’s harmless enough I guess- but 10 years later and I’m no longer really feeling the tribal look. Plus now I’ve actually seen the amazing work that can be done and I would love to get something beautiful there instead. Is it possible to do a coverup? I have this idea stuck in my head about japanese maple leaves kind of blowing with red/purple color… I don’t have a pic but just imagine any random tribal butterfly (kind of why I’m hoping for a coverup now…they’re so generic). Of course I’m scared that it could turn into a disaster. Any advice would be very appreciated!

Cornishtiger
Participant
@cornishtiger

Tribal tends to be very black and blocky so a coverup can be difficult. A picture would give people a better chance of giving advice.
I would, with great bias of course suggest that you think about a couple of laser sessions just to lighten what you have. Remember that you should really try and avoid working out what would cover what you have and decide what you would have there if you had all the choice in the world. A good artist will make your tattoo happen.
Good luck.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Like Cornish said.

Would it be possible for you to provide us with a picture as we will be able to give you much better detail on how to go about it. Im no expert but if it’s black tribal the design you might want might mean you need to get some lazer work done before hand to make the new tattoo possible.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

also a quick trip to see the best local artist around can help give you some idea, see what they think they can do, get more than one opinion……..laser is tough, expensive and a long process……..I would try and get it covered

leftygirl
Participant
@leftygirl

Thank you all very much! I’m kind of scared of laser removal (ouch-I’ve heard it hurts a lot) but I agree it would be worth it to be able to have all the options I would want. I’ll have to try to get a pic posted on here, but yes it is very bold black tribal butterfly.

Cornishtiger
Participant
@cornishtiger

Laser hurts no more than being tattooed if its done right.
You can also use numbing cream.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.