august6677
Participant
@august6677

I’m hopefully getting my first of many tattoos at the very earliest march 30th. I’m having a hard time trying to find exactly what to get. I like the look of Japanese style tattoo’s (Mitch Lucker’s tattoos I think are awesome looking, he has some Japanese style tattoo’s.) I’m planning on getting full sleeves on both arms, and I’m worried that I’m going to get a tattoo that I won’t be able to make flow into a full sleeve. Do you tattoo forum guys/gals have any suggestions on how to go about picking out my first tattoo? An example of tattoo’s I like are http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldw1frJQjy1qerxwmo1_500.jpg

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

best bet is always the same…………….pic an artist whose porfolio you like…….grab whatever reference material you would like to show them, you dont need alot…………go visit them and sit for a consultation, book the artist and have your piece custom designed for you………..you cant go wrong……..

a professional artist doesnt want someone elses drawing,
a pro doesnt need alot of reference material,
a pro cant use a drawing most of the time anyway, tattooes are strange beasts in the skin, they grow and move a little, line weights must be chosen correctly, spacing is very important, shading, light source etc……most drawings or referencees need to be converted into a tattoo by a very skilled hand

if you hire the best and let them rock it out, you will be happy, it takes years of study to know what goes into making a good tattoo, they know, we usually dont, most of the time, we put too many restriction on these professionals, we need to let them do their thing, dont worry, the top names, they dont need alot of input from us

august6677
Participant
@august6677
mrchen;98389 wrote:
best bet is always the same…………….pic an artist whose porfolio you like…….grab whatever reference material you would like to show them, you dont need alot…………go visit them and sit for a consultation, book the artist and have your piece custom designed for you………..you cant go wrong……..

a professional artist doesnt want someone elses drawing,
a pro doesnt need alot of reference material,
a pro cant use a drawing most of the time anyway, tattooes are strange beasts in the skin, they grow and move a little, line weights must be chosen correctly, spacing is very important, shading, light source etc……most drawings or referencees need to be converted into a tattoo by a very skilled hand

if you hire the best and let them rock it out, you will be happy, it takes years of study to know what goes into making a good tattoo, they know, we usually dont, most of the time, we put too many restriction on these professionals, we need to let them do their thing, dont worry, the top names, they dont need alot of input from us

Thank you so much! I think I might get my mom to do a sketch for me, then take it to the tattoo artist to work on the drawing and make it tattoo worthy.

Adler
Participant
@adler

You don’t even need a sketch. The key is finding a GOOD artist, one that is capable of doing a sleeve. Like mrchen said, give the artist freedom. You can let them know which specific elements you’d like to see in the sleeve and the artist should be able to put it all together to make it flow. Let the artist know your short and long term sleeve goals, especially if you plan on sticking with one artist so each tattoo can be placed accordingly.

august6677
Participant
@august6677
Adler;98394 wrote:
You don’t even need a sketch. The key is finding a GOOD artist, one that is capable of doing a sleeve. Like mrchen said, give the artist freedom. You can let them know which specific elements you’d like to see in the sleeve and the artist should be able to put it all together to make it flow. Let the artist know your short and long term sleeve goals, especially if you plan on sticking with one artist so each tattoo can be placed accordingly.

Gotcha! So, I could tell the artists I want a japanese oriented design and he could spitball up something? Also, does anyone have any suggestions on good tattoo shops/artists in the NJ area?

Adler
Participant
@adler
august6677;98396 wrote:
Gotcha! So, I could tell the artists I want a japanese oriented design and he could spitball up something? Also, does anyone have any suggestions on good tattoo shops/artists in the NJ area?

Yeah but I think that would work better if you were sticking with one artist to do the entire sleeve. Again, you can list some specific elements you want included (koi, flowers, dragon…) and let the artist create the sleeve from there.

Regarding artists, if you’re real serious then go to NY, you’ll have a better selection of artists doing that style. IN Jersey, Bill Webb is fantastic with color pieces although I don’t know how much Japanese stuff he does. Also, if you can find Sean Zee he would be good but he might be traveling. Or Chris Adamek’s shop.

http://www.immortalink.com/ (Chris Adamek, etc.)

http://www.evolutiontattoo.com/ (Bill Webb)

august6677
Participant
@august6677
Adler;98402 wrote:
Yeah but I think that would work better if you were sticking with one artist to do the entire sleeve. Again, you can list some specific elements you want included (koi, flowers, dragon…) and let the artist create the sleeve from there.

Regarding artists, if you’re real serious then go to NY, you’ll have a better selection of artists doing that style. IN Jersey, Bill Webb is fantastic with color pieces although I don’t know how much Japanese stuff he does. Also, if you can find Sean Zee he would be good but he might be traveling. Or Chris Adamek’s shop.

http://www.immortalink.com/ (Chris Adamek, etc.)

http://www.evolutiontattoo.com/ (Bill Webb)

So it’d be a good idea to get a whole sleeve design done, then get that done in pieces? And thank you so much!

august6677
Participant
@august6677

Also! Another quick question, I want to get a tattoo that symbolizes overcoming struggle. I know the symbolism for strength is a bear, anyone know what the symbolism for hardship/struggle/pain is? (I know a koi fish represents overcoming adversity, but I want to get a tattoo more original [no offense to those who have a koi fish tattoo])

Amok
Participant
@amok

Well you don’t see many dragon-kois if that’s your thing. Interesting twist on a koi fish

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.