songwritersmile
Participant
@songwritersmile

Or, at least, that’s what health services on campus told me. Here’s the story:

On March 7th, I went to get my second tattoo on my right foot done at a reputable, well known shop. My dad has gotten 7 of his 18 tattoos there, so I knew I was going to a good place. I went to the same artist my dad had. It look gorgeous and I was completely in love with it. By the next Monday, it looked a little off, but I figured it was just dry and didn’t think much of it. Over the progression of the next five days – until yesterday, when I went to the health center on campus – it rapidly went downhill.

This is what it looked like when I got it done. (http://yfrog.com/h3y7fzkj) and one week after (http://yfrog.com/h02sgtmj) and finally, this morning. (http://yfrog.com/h3ngohfj)

So, the health center said it was probably an infection paired with an allergic reaction. The tattoo shop is six hours away at home, so I can’t exactly have them look at it. They said, from what I told them, it was hands down an allergic reaction. I just wanted opinions from other people. The health center put me on antibiotics and has me using silvadene on it. It’s a burn ointment and I know it’s going to take out color, but I have to get it fixed anyway, so color isn’t my concern.

What I’d like to know from anyone who has any ideas is: 1) Does this seem like an allergic reaction for sure to you? 2) Am I going to be able to get it fixed, even if it scars? 3) If you don’t agree with what they have me putting on it, do you suggest anything else?

My first tattoo is on my back and it healed wonderfully, but then again, it’s just all black. So, I’m just really concerned and at 18, I’d rather not lose my foot or permanently damage it for life, you know? So and any and all help is greatly welcomed and appreciated.

(: Catie

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Hi and welcome. Well that looks pretty bad. It does look infected. It also looks as if in the middle section that your body rejected the ink. Is it like a burn?

I had a tattoo were I rejected the ink in a spot it was like a burn.

Keep it as clean as you can. Stop treating as a tattoo and start treating it as a wound. looks like it is going to scar a bit so after the scar tames down go get it touched up. Have the artist use a different brand of ink for the touch up. It will all turn out fine. Your not going to lose your foot.(well at least not from this tattoo)

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

have you been using unscented soap/lotion?

songwritersmile
Participant
@songwritersmile

@ buttwheat Yep, it’s safe to saw that my body pretty much burned the skin off my foot. I’ve been burned severely before and the pain is similar. That’s why they’re having me put the silvedene on it. It’s helping a lot, actually. I’ll post another picture tomorrow or the day after. Thanks for the advice!

@ rockysmom I shower with a scented body wash but I clean my foot immediately after with an unscented bar soap. I’ve had numerous problems with soaps on my skin and when I find one that works, I tend to stick with it. I do everything possible to avoid the foot with the wash, but it’s a little difficult. It doesn’t seem to irritate it if I clean it immediately.

): It use to look so pretty.

GreenDragon
Participant
@greendragon

Sorry to hear that. That really sucks.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

I have seen this issue before and it is a sulphide or chromide allergy that literally burns the skin leaves a sort of white powdery effect (sometimes known as chromatic poisoning as some blue pigments contain lead traces).

Alternatively it could be caused by a reaction to Colbalt aluminate which is also a heavy metal used in blue pigments (difficult to say without knowing what was in the pigment).

The area can easily become infected but the good thing is you did not leave it to fester and the antibiotics will bring this under control.

You need regular monitoring of this

In some ways you are fortunate you did not go onto develop the further symptoms of the ‘burn’ spreading across the body or developing breathing problems (which although very very rare can be fatal if left unchecked).

As for the next action you need to leave this alone for 8 weeks it will take that long for the antibiotics to work and the toxins to flush out.

The skin will also need this time to heal up.

If you did go for a rework I would suggest black pigment as this has the least ingredients that would cause an allergy as quite inert (usually graphite).

Keep it clean, well bathed, and might want to consider a blood test for lead toxins.

Take care
Matthew

songwritersmile
Participant
@songwritersmile

@ GreenDragon I know, it makes me so mad. But it’s getting better, so that’s what matters.

@ Sherav Do you really think I need to get tested for lead toxins? Only because at school, I have no health insurance so unless it’s really a worry, then I’ll figure it out. I mean, I haven’t been feeling well at all lately but I chalked this up to the side effects from the antibiotic. Could I be wrong? Aside from using a black pigment, do you think they’re anyway the blue will work? I’m just wary about changing the color after part of it is still blue, you know?

This is what it looked like this morning. (http://yfrog.com/h0m3kytj) So it looks like an improvement to me! It’s feeling better, I’m religiously taking my antibiotic and cleaning it and doing what they told me in the health center.

The one other thing that I’ve noticed is the skin under the tattoo is bumpy and gets more and more bumpy as the days pass. Is this part of the allergic reaction or should I be more concerned about this?

Thanks for all of your help, everyone! It’s been a life saver since I’m so far from home and can’t seek the advice of my tattooed Dad or the shop itself. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you!!

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

Sorry I forgot no NHS in States and you have to get insurance for everything. Looking at how it is healing and as long as not suffering any major side effects you should be ok without the tests – I am just an ultra cautious sort of person.

Yes you can use blue but I would suggest waiting 6 weeks at least and then a totally different brand as will contain different ingredients.

However you do run a risk of pigment rejection and would need to be monitored closely.

The bumps are scar tissue which are inflamed where pockets of the pigment are trying to be forced out of the skin. These usually settle down but in some rare cases can remain and are usualy sensed by touch rather than the naked eye.

Glad it is healing up.

Take care
Matthew

jsimpson4
Participant
@jsimpson4

That was a very nice looking tattoo to start with. I hate you had this bad experience with it.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

I would like some follow up on this. How did it turn out?

songwritersmile
Participant
@songwritersmile

It’s looking pretty good. I put lotion on it as many times a day I can. That helps soothe the itch. When I go home for Easter in two weeks, I’m going to start using some Mederma to prevent scarring and then hopefully when I go home for the summertime in May, I can it touched up and fixed. However, I’m pretty happy with the way it’s healed. It doesn’t look nearly as bad as I though it was going to. (: I’ll post another follow up when I get it fixed. Thanks again for everyone’s help and advice!

Here’s a picture of it this morning: http://yfrog.com/h0ctltwj

reefdiver
Participant
@reefdiver

turned out great…….i really like it ๐Ÿ˜Ž

ctltw.jpg

uhhhhh?? ……:p

p96xo.jpg

songwritersmile
Participant
@songwritersmile

Oh! All my plastic bags? Yeah, they’ve certainly accumulated since I got here in September and it was cleaning day. There were a ton more in the closet. We counted 103 by the end of the day. ๐Ÿ˜€

jsimpson4
Participant
@jsimpson4

Wow, it did heal up well. I am happy for you as it looks great.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.