Juneau
Participant
@juneau

Real quick question.

Me being a visual kind of person, I need to see things not only in my mind, but also my eyes either drawing/plan/whatever. What I want for my tattoo is something on my lower shoulder/left bicep. Its going to be an anchor, with a banner wrapping around it that says “Rise Or Die Trying”. The second part of it is the anchor going through waves as seen by this picture

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/3/3875749_1988609c24.jpg

Now, I don’t want it exactly like that, but to the same effect. Anyhow so I went to my first tat shop, and basically told the guy “its good in my mind, but can I get a rough sketch, nothing overly fancy but kinda a basic idea?” He said sure no problem, and came back in twenty minutes with a a decent sketch of my tat, that I liked alot. He said he has to keep the sketch though (no problem) and that if we set up an appoitment we can tweak the drawing and such to my liking.

Anyhow, went to a 2nd shop about an hour later, said the same thing, and they just blantly said NO. They insisted they don’t like doing “sketches” without a twenty dollar deposit to go towards the actual tattoo, and even then the drawing would be the ACTUAL tattoo, I understood why, but they mentioned at alot of tattoo shops usually don’t do rough sketches?

So my question is, where the guys in the second shop right? It was weird for a newcomer like me, kind of anxious, to ask for a rough sketch before any appointments are mad? I ask this because I’m going to 2-3 other shops and I don’t want to feel like a retard and get “shot down”

thanks 😀

reefdiver
Participant
@reefdiver

depends on the shop…………….most custom shops require a deposit before they will start the drawing, this is subtracted from the cost of the tattoo if you get it, if not it is lost……..

it keeps the tire kickers away……..

i like anchor tattoos……….you can find plenty of them if you google anchor tattoos…………..find a couple you like and show them to the artist as reference material and let him/her create their own design incorporating what you want………..

make sure that you get a good artist………….

Adler
Participant
@adler

Yeah a lot of shops won’t do the sketch unless they’re going to do the tattoo also. However, the initial sketch is then shown to the client who may want subtle changes made. That may mean the original drawing is “tweaked” which is an inconvenience to the artist but should definitely be allowed. You should be able to research and select artists through their portfolios and an initial meeting and not require a drawing before you choose them.

Johnzy
Participant
@johnzy

Just out of curiosity are you doing that quote because of the band four year strong? They all have that tattoo.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.