kdogsid
Participant
@kdogsid

I have a pacemaker/defibrillator and I’d like to have something tattood on my breast over my device. Is this possible? Thanks!

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

Yes it is possible as the machine does not generate enough of a magnetic field to interfere with the pacemaker and the surface of the skin is not penetrated enough to cause damage.

That said if your pacemaker is newly fitted you (in the last 12 mths) are considered to be at a higher risk of infection so would need to take extra care of the tattoo during the healing process. You should not get tattooed within the same 12 mths of any major intrusive surgery.

The only other thing to consider is the increased pain and the effect of raised blood pressure and your heart.

Take Care
Matthew

kdogsid
Participant
@kdogsid

Thank you! Great news. What do you mean by increased pain? As in it would hurt less if I got it on another area of my breast where the defibrillator is not? Or do you mean that my blood pressure could go up because of increased pain no matter where I get a tattoo? If the latter, will getting a tattoo over the area where my ICD is hurt more because of the metal behind it?

reefdiver
Participant
@reefdiver

you eally should be talking to your cardiologist about this………

mporcelhall
Participant
@mporcelhall

I would suggest against it, just because they are going to have replace the pacemaker and it might mess the tattoo up later

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.