Aubrey
Participant
@aubrey

i have some local anaesthetic gel called instillagel. its used for numbing areas before cauterisation, catheter insertion and things in the genital area. here are the details

Instillagel® is a sterile gel containing a local anaesthetic and antiseptic presented in a sterile package.

Active ingredients are (in each 100 grams):-

Lidocaine Hydrochloride (Local anaesthetic) 2.000g
Chlorhexidine Gluconate Solution (Antiseptic) 0.250g
Methyl Hydroxybenzoate (E218) (Antiseptic) 0.060g
Propyl Hydroxybenzoate (E216) (Antiseptic) 0.025g
in a gel made with Hydroxyethylcellulose, Propylene Glycol and Purified Water.

Basically i was wondering if this would work the same as EMLA and ametop.

i have 4 tattoos all done without any numbing cream. but i got the basics done for one on my spine, about8 inch down. 3 across, its a geisha and i freaked. it was so painful i had to stop every 5 minutes. im pretty ok with pain as well. so i want to get the rest done, more line work and colouring faster this time and without shuddering. i will by EMLA if this is not suitable.

Could anyone help me with this, any tattoo artists have any opinions.

Thanks, 🙂

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Numbing creams don’t work…. at all.

They take too long (half an hour to an hour) to kick in and have stopped working within the hour again.

Aubrey
Participant
@aubrey

this one takes 5 minutes to work and is used for biopsy and burning off skin as well as injections.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Cool. Still won’t work.

Aubrey
Participant
@aubrey

haha! ok. ive heard good things about ametop and EMLA. where did you try it?
i’m dying to get it finished but it was so painfull. especially the line work down my spine.
its mostly going to be shading and colour which hurts less.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Never tried it. I’ve just seen this question answered a bazillion times in here by people that actually know what they’re talking about (whereas I’m just re-posting their advice) and the general consensus is that unless it’s going to be a very short session, it’s never worth it. As soon as it wears off, the pain comes back appearing tenfold (because you never got to experience it slowly building) and since you can’t re-apply it during the session, you’ll seriously regret using it at all 🙂

Aubrey
Participant
@aubrey

ah i see. ok well, i suppose ill be roughing it again. i get to enjoy watching myself going all green and clammy in the mirror. fun times.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

LOL.

Well, maybe if you left the mirror out of it, it wouldn’t be so bad. Seeing myself in pain would make the pain worse for me 🙂

Heavy metal (Scream-metal) works perfectly for calming the nerves.. I think I’ll try that with my next one.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

If it is any help you should consider that the use of any lidocaine containing products does carry a risk if you are a sufferer of arrhythmias (irregular heart beat which is usually where it is beating too fast or too slow). You may not know about this until it is too late as brought on by stress and pain.

Whilst the level of 2% lidocaine is within tolerable levels for most ppl this means that the actual numbing time is most likely to be 25 mins. It can last 45 mins (hardly ever over an hour) but this is quite rare and you would start to feel the pain at the 30 min mark.

It also takes 45 mins or so to fully set in – the first 5 mins is just surface numbing if you stuck a lot of needles in you will still feel them below the numbed sensation.

Should you have an allergy you will be fighting for breath which is not good.

Having had my full back done I understand your pain I could have cried a couple of times in mine but try and relax and it will be over before you know it.

Take care
Matthew

Rider68
Participant
@rider68

I used a numbing cream once for the second day of back to back sessions on my chest. Not only did it really not work, the artist said it made the skin very rubbery and difficult to tattoo. The parts where she tattooed after using the numbing cream healed awfully. It scabbed very heavily and lost a lot of ink.

Ross_W
Participant
@ross_w

Think of it this way: If you did use the numbing cream, everyone (maybe even you yourself) will think you are a “pussy” or “wuss”. Sounds kind of a macho-man thing to say, but its true. Part of the sort of “mystique” of large tattoos is the amount of pain you have to go through to complete it. I have a backpiece as well, and it hurt pretty bad, but i dont think i would be as proud of it if it didnt hurt getting it. Same goes for all of my large tattoos.

There are a few ways to combat or deal with the pain. I have a full chest piece in the works. It has been absolutely the most painful area ive had tattooed so far. Once my endorphins wear off, i am just screaming blood murder inside my mind. So i sit for shorter amounts of time, 2 hours tops. Still hurts, but i dont have to sit for 4-5 hours in terrible pain, and it doesnt hurt the tattoo in anyway. It does take longer in the long run, but its almost done now.

Also, try to take as few breaks as possible (none preferably). Reason being, when you take a break, for some reason your brain thinks you are done for the day, and when you get back to it, it seems to hurt a hell of alot more than before you stopped. For my chest, i just tell my artist to keep tattooing until either one of us has had enough (its always been me though lol).

Other things you can do can include just take consistant calm breaths, closing your eyes and try to “sleep”, watching a movie, and drinking a soda or something similar while getting tattooed.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

I used a numbing spray on my last tattoo. It is used after the skin is broken so about an hour into the tattoo we started using it. Worked great I couldn’t feel anything except pressure. That being said this has been the worse healing tattoo ever it’s been a week and a half it’s still leaking out plasma 80% of the color is gone and I’m walking around with this huge gaping wound on my chest that once was a tattoo. The pain in the 11 days has been far worse then getting any tattoo. There is no free lunch.

Adler
Participant
@adler
buttwheat;80605 wrote:
I used a numbing spray on my last tattoo. It is used after the skin is broken so about an hour into the tattoo we started using it. Worked great I couldn’t feel anything except pressure. That being said this has been the worse healing tattoo ever it’s been a week and a half it’s still leaking out plasma 80% of the color is gone and I’m walking around with this huge gaping wound on my chest that once was a tattoo. The pain in the 11 days has been far worse then getting any tattoo. There is no free lunch.

Holy shit, WTF? 😮 Pain sucks but I’ll choose the pain after reading that.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
Adler;80607 wrote:
Holy shit, WTF? 😮 Pain sucks but I’ll choose the pain after reading that.

I will post a picture on my thread on everyytattoo.com

stubarber
Participant
@stubarber
buttwheat;80605 wrote:

Oooohhhh . . . that explains it. I was wondering why this particular healing was doing so badly. Sorry to hear you tried that stuff. Hope it comes out just fine after all is said and done.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.