jm123
Participant
@jm123

I have been thinking about getting a pretty elaborate tattoo for a while which has some personal significance. In addition to various other facets, the tattoo would feature a buffalo because it is seen as a symbol of “resilience” in the American Indian Culture. My concern is that I do not have any roots to the American Indian culture. Is it rude??

TooManyNotEnough
Participant
@toomanynotenough

If it is you then it is you. However, there are always the whole getting a tattoo from another culture and/or in another language the tattoo holder doesn’t speak argument. As for “rude”, not one bit in my opinion if it is YOU and something YOU appreciate!

JENerationX
Participant
@jenerationx

How about all the people that get koi or dragons? There are plenty of non-Japanese people with Japanese style tattoos walking around. I don’t think it’s rude at all.

Yellowbeard
Participant
@yellowbeard

People have been borrowing tattoo motifs from other cultures since at least the 18th century. British and American sailors visiting the Pacific islands brought home souvenirs of their journeys. That’s how tattooing made its way to Western culture. As has already been mentioned, many westerners wear Japanese-inspired tattoos today, thanks to Sailor Jerry Collins and Ed Hardy. Many westerners wear Polynesian-inspired tattoos thanks in large part to Leo Zulueta.
I myself (a white American) wear a traditional Samoan Pe’a, commemorating my own travels.
Cultural exchange is one of the hallmarks of tattooing today, with ‘foreign’ motifs influencing even ‘working class’ tattoos whether we realize it or not, and as long as you’re not trying to do anything disrespectful, I don’t see a problem with it.

jm123
Participant
@jm123

Thanks for the advice. Happy New Year!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.