JihadiJeff
Participant
@jihadijeff

Alright so I am going for my first tattoo but have been researching and looking at different tattoos. I am trying to come up with some ideas that are not lame and cliche so I figured this would probably be a good place to ask considering there are both tattoo artists and enthusiasts here.

My current consideration is an old family motto in latin:

Sapientia victrix fortunae

means Wisdom is the conqueror of fortune.

So my question is to everybody that reads this, do you think that a tattoo like that is too cliche? Also where is a good place to put it? Nothing too public considering I am still in college and this will be my first tattoo. Also I do not want to get it on my sides since half my friends decided to all get tattoos there. Don’t want to follow the crowd with mine 😉

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Well, this is a tough question. I mean, there are only so many places you can get a tattoo and have it look right so sometimes the placement has to be cliche to look good. I think in your case if you are going for the motto the thing that will make or break you tat is the skill of the person doing it and the font that you use.

I personally think it would look great with a really flowing script OR, if you like something really uniqueish, maybe graffiti? I would thing a chest piece would look cool too… how big are you thinking about going?

TooManyNotEnough
Participant
@toomanynotenough

Almost all tattoo become cliche at some point. So do what you want as you are the one with it and paying for it not anyone else.

As for location, have you played with various sizes and fonts? By doing this and finding the one you like most will help you narrow down the good spots for it.

Hope this helps…..

JihadiJeff
Participant
@jihadijeff

How would I play with the various sizes? Also another question I was concerned with was stretching? I am a skinny guy and recently started working out, so if I bulk out will the tattoo stretch? I was thinking of getting the tattoo possibly across my back. So if I continue working out and bulk up will the tattoo stretch and look shitty?

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder
JihadiJeff;75296 wrote:
How would I play with the various sizes? Also another question I was concerned with was stretching? I am a skinny guy and recently started working out, so if I bulk out will the tattoo stretch? I was thinking of getting the tattoo possibly across my back. So if I continue working out and bulk up will the tattoo stretch and look shitty?

You could do a number of things. Hopefully you have a friend that can draw, go out and get some non toxic markers and have your buddy draw on you. If not, try photo shop? find some photos on line and photoshop them onto photos of you?

Just a thought…

TooManyNotEnough
Participant
@toomanynotenough

You could definately do the below good suggestions. Plus many more. It comes down to your resources. Google various fonts or goto a local book store and look at the various fonts and find one you like then download it to your computer and open it in word messing with the font sizes from there. Go to your local tattoo shop at ask them? Or ??? Hope this is helpful!?!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.