ZSchiffman
Participant
@zschiffman

I’m 19 and have three tattoos that can all be covered wearing a short sleeve t shirt (the one on my inner bicep sticks out a bit.) But I’m planning on getting more; shoulder blade, ribs, (and the one im asking about) 3/4 sleeve. I wanna get an authentic japanese sleeve with peonies, lotuses, waves and koi (similar to john mayers) in japan once i graduate college. But my mom is hesitant because of regret and getting a job. First of all, ill never regret them, i love tattoos. if i had any artistic ability, i would open a shop , but i dont. I want to teach high school or college, and since it would be able to be covered with a long sleeve (if need be) i dont think it would be that bad. Anyone have any input, advice, or experience with tattoos in the workplace? I mean its not offensive or anything.

30Hz
Participant
@30hz

Youll have a difficult time finding a job in a high school as a teacher if you have a 3/4 sleeve in my opinion.

Parents can be a tad irrational when it comes to their children (with good reason I might add) and for that you can expect to have your job offered up to countless other people who have no visible tattoos.

Because of a stigma attached to tattoos I’d heavily consider getting it done and if you do, be very prepared to find another career.

ZSchiffman
Participant
@zschiffman

What if i cover it with long sleeves durring like interviews and stuff, and if I get the job, ask if i have to keep it covered at times (which i wouldnt mind doing. so many people have to wear suits to work anyway). I mean as a teacher, it’s not as strict. I could do like oxfords, sweaters, and such like that. Do you have a sleeve? If so, does your place of work require you to cover it?

looney bin escapee
Participant
@looney-bin-escapee

Most schools here in Hawaii don’t look very highly at tattoos on teachers. Even in the college level which i used to teach at.

I covered up for the most part but one day i just said fuck it and went with my tattoos showing. The admin sort of was shocked but didn’t really make so much as a peep about my ink.

Now that I’ve quit that gig and have gone into a different arena all together, I can rock my tattoos as much as I want.

you just have to figure out what you are willing to sacrifice and how much bs you’ll be willing to put up with in order for you to keep your ink.

If you need to keep your tatts under wraps, then do so. If you don’t want to, find some sector of society that allows you to and be able to keep your job.

ZSchiffman
Participant
@zschiffman

Thats a really good point. Thanks, thats really helpful. Now we just need to convine my mom of the same…

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Whoa… wait a second. I was already to post my standard “you could just wear long sleeve shirts and make everyone think you are just really professional” post but then you dropped the mom thing. If you are still at a point where you need your mom’s blessing for tattoo maybe you should wait a bit since you are probably too young to make a choice that could affect your employment for the rest of your life. If you aren’t making you own choices or you need approval from your parents you are not ready for a large visible tattoo.

Just my .02

ZSchiffman
Participant
@zschiffman

Ha, no, i’m old enough to get them without necessary approval, she’s told me that. It’s just important to me that i have her approval in the process (and maybe contribute a few $). I would like her to be there when I’m getting it too.

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

I work in Finance and have a foot tattoo. I don’t deal with clients or anyhting so it’s not a big deal. I can always cover it up if I need to for an interview,e tc.
I like tattoos that can be covered just in case. If you are okay with wearing long sleeves if your job requires it then go for it.
I have never seen a teacher with a visible tattoo though. Personally I would be distracted by the sleeve and would probably stare at it instead of listening to the lecture. LOL

30Hz
Participant
@30hz
ZSchiffman;74584 wrote:
What if i cover it with long sleeves durring like interviews and stuff, and if I get the job, ask if i have to keep it covered at times (which i wouldnt mind doing. so many people have to wear suits to work anyway). I mean as a teacher, it’s not as strict. I could do like oxfords, sweaters, and such like that. Do you have a sleeve? If so, does your place of work require you to cover it?

I have a sleeve however I work as a sound engineer, looks are of the least importance.

You could cover it with long sleeves and do that for your entire professional career but do you really want that? If it’s truly the career you want to do then you’ll either make the sacrifice or go for something a lot more maskable (full back for example).

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder
ZSchiffman;74600 wrote:
Ha, no, i’m old enough to get them without necessary approval, she’s told me that. It’s just important to me that i have her approval in the process (and maybe contribute a few $). I would like her to be there when I’m getting it too.

Ok, I’m sorry, I’m still stuck on the mom thing. You want her approval AND you want her to PAY FOR YOUR TAT? I wasn’t referring to you being under 18 with my first post, I was referring to not being old enough to make a choice that will affect you for the rest of your life based on the fact that you want her approval.

My advice… Wait for a few years until you have established yourself in the world and then come back to this. If you can’t even pay for the tat yet you might not be ready for one.

Anyway, ignore me if you think I’m out of line, this just strikes me as a weird situation.

artyfart
Participant
@artyfart

i cant see a problem with covering it with long sleeves to be honest

inkbyj
Participant
@inkbyj

In general, people will look at you differently. As for the work scenario, it just means when you are in a work capacity you will always have to be in long sleeves. A full sleeve of tattooing is a big commitment. Sleeves are awesome. Tattoos are becoming ever more accpeptable and prevalent. One day there will be a time when people will not look down on you for having them.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.