jamdemos
Participant
@jamdemos

Ok so this will be my first somewhat big peice, my first session will be on Sunday and he said it will take two sessions one the outline the next color, so my question is can both those sessions be done in the same week or does the first one have to heal before starting color?

Next I have a question about tipping, i never really know what to tip, but this peice is costing around mid 500’s so what do you think is a right tip like %15 or what??

Thanks,

-James

jamdemos
Participant
@jamdemos

Also another question should I tip after each session or just at the end?

bray-way
Participant
@bray-way

good questions dude. id like to know the same thing

i gather your usa…which to my knowledge tipping is customary.

here is aus ive never heard of anyone tipping their tattooist

ArniVidar
@arnividar

You should let a minimum of 2 weeks pass between sessions, and preferably let it heal the whole way if you’re not stressed for time. Getting tattooed is a huge strain on your body and it needs time to recuperate.

I’ve gathered that it’s customary to tip when the tattoo is finished, not before. After all, you’re tipping for a good service received in full.

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

just like you don’t prepay your tattoo, you wouldn’t need to tip beforehand. It’s really up to you if you want to tip each time or at the end. Personally, I wouldn’t tip until the end. Here in the US it’s not really expected to tip like other services are.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
Rockysmom;70283 wrote:
Here in the US it’s not really expected to tip like other services are.

Well, that makes sense, since all you’re ever paying for is the service of that indevidual. You’re already paying him a set price of hundreds of dollars for his service, why does he need more than that? If he wanted more money, he’d set the price higher.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder
ArniVidar;70286 wrote:
Well, that makes sense, since all you’re ever paying for is the service of that indevidual. You’re already paying him a set price of hundreds of dollars for his service, why does he need more than that? If he wanted more money, he’d set the price higher.

Tipping was supposed to be an optional thing that you did when the service went above and beyond what you expected. In the US restaurant business, it has become so customary to tip that the wait staff is payed below minimum wage and makes the difference up with tips. A lot of americans take tipping to heart- you leave a shitty tip for shitty service and a really good tip for really good service. It’s a way to say thanks for a job well done using currency.

Yes, you can make the argument that if someone wanted more money they should charge you more. In our culture it’s different. I give my artist a 100 dollars every season. Why? He goes out of his way to make me comfortable, he sends his assistant out to grab us lunch at any place I choose (on him) and he holds a parking spot for me so I don’t have to feed the meter. He doesn’t have to do any of this stuff, but he does and it means a lot to me. Money is my way of saying thanks. On top of that he is focused on my tattoo and he does an unbelievable job.

You may or may not agree with this and that’s ok. America is still very much capitalistic country and the best way to say thanks here is with a little green back.

Chief D
Participant
@chief-d

Tip if you want to, its probably not expected.
You likely paid for the work at the first session. Any tip would be apropriate once all work is compleated. 10% is more the average when tipping for tattoo work. A $50 tip at end of the tattoo lets the artist know you are HAPPY with the finished tattoo. Tip after any follow-up or touch up sessions, this compensates the artist for his materials.
But again, the artist only expects the price he quotes. Tips set a customer apart from a GOOD customer!:D

ArniVidar
@arnividar
Gsouder;70289 wrote:
I give my artist a 100 dollars every season. Why? He goes out of his way to make me comfortable, he sends his assistant out to grab us lunch at any place I choose (on him) and he holds a parking spot for me so I don’t have to feed the meter. He doesn’t have to do any of this stuff, but he does and it means a lot to me. Money is my way of saying thanks. On top of that he is focused on my tattoo and he does an unbelievable job.

That, I can really understand, and I would also tip someone for behaving in such an incredible fashion. But most tattooist will probably not behave so, and as such do not (IMO) warrant any tipping at all.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.