SavannahC
Participant
@savannahc

Hey, I have an appointment booked for my third tattoo to have a design done on my ribs but when I was booking the lady on the counter recommended using EMLA cream to numb the area because apparently it really hurts. I have never heard of this before and wouldn’t of even thought of numbing it.
I have been doing some research on it and some say it is amazing and will always use and swear by it and others say that it can distort the design because the cream affects the texture of your skin and such.
My other two tattoos are on my back and thigh and I didn’t find them all that painful and I’m sure I could handle the apparent pain of it on the rib. But because the lady actually recommended it to me I’m not sure whether I should actually do it? Has anyone tried it? Any advice would be great.

Greyhound
Participant
@greyhound

Some people don’r recommend it because the numbing doesn’t last very long. When the cream wears off the tattoo will then become even more painful because your body hasn’t any chance to release endorphins or get used to the tattooing.

EMLA contains Lidocaine which has been known to cause cardiac arrest.

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

Plus, numbing is for pussies.

Just sayin.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

SavannahC
Participant
@savannahc
KnightHawk;63309 wrote:
Plus, numbing is for pussies.

Love it.
Can’t be having that.

sardinita24
Participant
@sardinita24

I have a low tolerance for pain so when I got my first tattoo I pretty much had my headphones on the entire time so I could focus on something else and squeezed my friend’s hand through the rest of it. Honestly, it hurt like hell when I was getting it done but even still, I think going through the pain is kinda a good thing. It’s something to be proud of in the end and you kinda feel like a badass when you can show people your awesome tattoo and when they ask if it hurt, you can say “hell yes but I’m just that badass I can take it…”

ithompson
Participant
@ithompson

I personally wouldn’t use it if there’s even a tiny case it can mess up the final piece. That being said I’ve also never heard of the cream either so I really can’t give an answer without being biased.

The pain associated with getting a rib tat is definitely bearable, but yes you will feel it more than the others.
Hope this is helpful 🙂

Ross_W
Participant
@ross_w

Right now im having a full chestpiece done. For some reason, its been the most painful of all my tattoos. It really fuckin hurts! Even more than my hands, foot, ditches, elbows or shin! I still refuse to use a numbing cream because, as Knighthawk said, thats for pussies. Instead, im getting the chest piece done in shorter sits. I sit for as long as i can take it, then call it a day. It is taking longer than expected, but im going back on a regular basis so it will be done soon.

I mention this because i would suggest you go in with no cream, and see how long you can sit. If its really as painful as you are afraid it will be, then simply sit for shorter amounts of time. It will take more appointments, but other than that, theres no harm done.

Besides, if you use the numbing cream, and then people will find out, they will think your are a pussy 😀

inkydream
Participant
@inkydream

Out of all my tattoos, my ribs was definitely the worst. But it’s not something you can’t sit through. It’ll suck and you might cry a little, but the whole time, just think of how awesome it’s gonna look when you’re done. If you get your frist one on your ribs, none after that will be as bad (or you just might end up not getting anymore, lol). You’ll be fine though, it’s tolerable, if you just think how good it’ll look there when you’re done. It shouldn’t take too long, i’d say 30 to an hour max. Goodluck!

amanaman11
Participant
@amanaman11

i say no cream – the pain as much as it sucks is part of earning the tattoo

Jubakuba
Participant
@jubakuba

Chick…
Your getting a fucking tattoo.
I don’t understand why people can’t commit to the fucking pain and just do it.
This shit is FOR LIFE.
If you don’t have the fucking guts to get tattooed…don’t fucking do it. You obviously don’t want the piece that fucking much if the pain will slow you down.

On a side note…
You seem fairly set on the idea…
The never-ending “omg will this hurt like how much on a scale of 1-10 lulz? is it worz thanhere? wht bout here?” on this site gets fucking old after a bit.

P.S.
Numbing creams have been brought up at least 100 times here as well.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Six month old dead thread being revived for no good reason… I think I’ll just close it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Rib tattoo advice’ is closed to new replies.