irish634
Participant
@irish634

Hello, this is my first post…
I know the ultimate location is up to me, but generally, why are the most common places for cross tattoos (Celtic cross in my case) in the center of the back? Is it acceptable to have it on the shoulder blade? Are there any meanings of where I end up having it?

Google searching shows them mostly in the center of the back while a few I found are on the shoulder blades. Then of course arms and legs too, but I’m pretty much set on my back.

Thank you for the input.
Craig

Edited to add: I read I was supposed to introduce myself before I posted, so I went back and did that.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

The thing with tattoos is that you will rarely get people to agree on it specifically – art is like that, it is what appeals to the individual the most.

The back is often chosen as it is the biggest piece of skin canvas we have and many like to either have a full backpiece with that as the centre or use a smaller one to build up around it.

Other just prefer to use the fairly flat surface of the shoulder blade to have one and have no intention of building it into a bigger piece.

The reason the chest tends to be avoided is that some see a cross over the heart as being disrespectful but other cultures embrace the heart over the chest as a sign of faith and protection.

Really depends on personal beliefs on that score.

Also pain is a factor in placement many think the upper arm (usually chosen for first tattoos) or shoulder will hurt less than say the chest or ribs.

Also if you like Celtic crosses this site has an awesome collection that might inspire you

http://www.religioustattoos.net/Other_Tattoos/Crosses_Celtic/index.php

Take Care
Matthew

Take care
Matthew

irish634
Participant
@irish634

Hello Matthew,

Thank you for the response and the link. They have an excellent assortment for sure.

I really like this one done by Pat Fish. This one appears to be on the shoulder blade. I have a very ornate Celtic Cross that’s hung on my wall for years. I have a few ideas in mind for it:

1. Use my cross and have the claddagh heart design added to it.
  2. Use my cross by itself
  3. 2D or 3D

Once I get them drawn up I will know for certain which design I want to use.

Is there a reason there are not many crosses done in 3D? From a tattoo artist perspective is it overly difficult to accomplish? Is it something that generally doesn’t turn out well? I am not very artistically inclined so I have to rely on those that are for a little input.

I appreciate your explanation about my location question too. I am probably going to end up with it on my right shoulder blade and was thinking 7-8″ for my height and build. I am leaning heavily toward this because a tattoo of my daughter’s face will likely end up on my left shoulder blade.

You are right though that not many will agree on it… I have asked many people and to a varying degree end up with different answers.

Thank you,
Craig

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.