enjibenji
Participant
@enjibenji

I have always wanted a tattoo, and money or fear of pain have never been the issue. The problem is I don’t know what I want, I’m so damn unsure. I want something that is meaningful to me, I have thought about Kanji, I like the way it looks and have found symbols for Devotion and Loyalty (I consider myself a devoted person and a loyal person) and obviously I will be checking they mean what they show before I get the real thing.

Recently I have made a sort of change around of my life, and at the moment the person I am is someone I thought I couldn’t be (to cut a long story short). Basically I made a huge decision in my life which has resulted in amazing long term effects on me as a person, and I want something I can look at that will remind me of how I have got through this and that I can get through anything, here is my problem – I don’t have a clue what to get that could symbolise this.

Any ideas at all? I liked symbolism, things that people have to ask what it means.

Any ideas at all would be hugely appreciated

iMark
Participant
@imark

I can relate to big changes in life, and wanting something to symbolise that. It’s the reason for my tattoos. Without knowing your circumstances in life, though, it’s difficult to make any recommendations.

If you tell us anything about your life it will help a great deal. Alternatively can you think of any images associated with the changes you’ve made recently? That might be a good starting point.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

Have you considered metamorphic symbolism?

The obvious ones are crysalis with an merging butterfly but other examples;

Storm clouds with a rainbow cutting through it.

The tragedy/joy masks

Perhaps have a tattoo where you have a symbol for what you were and what you have become reflected in the glass.

The other options for this style are reflections eg looking into a pond or lake and such.

Take Care
Matthew

enjibenji
Participant
@enjibenji

Thanks for the replies, I like a few of the ideas from the guy above and I may take some in to consideration when choosing.

In reply to the first post – I used to be a very insecure person, It kinda got to the point where I would fear in some weird way of stepping outside the house. I never thought much of myself at all. I had a partner of 4 years and it started getting very serious, one day I thought to myself that I need to change, and with that change I realised I had to sacrifice my ‘comfort’ zone of having my girlfriend, I knew she wasn’t the one and that I wanted to experience more things in life but I wasn’t going to do this unless I pushed myself.

When I made that push and made that decision, my life changed since. I’m a very confident person and I am moving along in life. Experiencing new things.

I guess it’s like I used to keep myself trapped away from normal life and now I have no fear of anything.

I have thought about getting kanji, one idea is the devotion symbol with lyrics from my favourite band that fit how I feel ‘seize the day or die, Regretting the time you lost’

My other idea is the kanji for strength, and with lyrics ‘I feel my memories fade with time’.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Well, the collective advice from the forum will be something like:

“For the love of g0d, stay the hell away from Kanji!!”

So.. yeah…

enjibenji
Participant
@enjibenji
ArniVidar;60394 wrote:
Well, the collective advice from the forum will be something like:

“For the love of g0d, stay the hell away from Kanji!!”

So.. yeah…

Haha well I have heard a few people say that. Why do you say that exactly?

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Well, everybody and their grandmother has Kanji.

TO ME, they’re overused by people with no imagination who walk into a tattoo parlor, pick a random cool thing off the wall and get inked without any thought or meaning behind it other than wanting to either fit in or rebel (depending on the crowd around them).

TO ME, Kanji does not look pretty as a stand-alone tattoo, although I’ve seen awesome results when they’re integrated into scrollwork and other such things in bigger tats.

TO ME, Kanji is a step below the black tribal panther crawling up the shoulder.

That being said, many people choose Kanji because they know what it means, it says what they want to and because they actually like it, and I just say more power to them. Let them enjoy it if they like it. I don’t.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav
ArniVidar;60490 wrote:
TO ME, Kanji is a step below the black tribal panther crawling up the shoulder.

LMAO!

The award to the coldest comment ever in tattooing award goes to *drum roll*

Arnivader come on down!

:D:D:D:D:D

Take Care
Matthew

ArniVidar
@arnividar

LOL.. umh… thank you… I guess :p

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

I agree with ArniVidar, stay away from Kanji.
There is something about Kanji that seems uncreative, and a little bit impersonal. However, that’s simply my opinion.

I was also where you are now. I wanted a tattoo, but I wasn’t sure what I wanted. I wanted it to be personal to me, but not too deeply shrouded in my own personal meaning so that it was so very abstract to anyone looking at it. It took a very long time for me to make a final decision. I just wanted to give you some encouragement, you will find something you are happy with 🙂 and its good to see you aren’t rushing into anything.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.