GreenBlood
    Participant
    @greenblood

Howzit guys,

I’ve been thinking about getting a tattoo for quite a while now, and after alot of mind changing I’ve finally decided to go with a Polynesian design on my leg. I picture it starting at the front, going down my shin and wrapping around slightly to the back of my leg just above the heel or something.

Anyway, I’ve found a shop I’d like to go to, cool guys and their stuff is pretty good. Apparantly, this artist who specializes in Polynesian tattoos will be coming in November, which is when I was planning on getting it done.

Okay, so I’m pretty much committing to this and I have a few questions. I’ve got pretty hairy legs and once I’ve got the tat I won’t be bothered too much about shaving them down every once and a while, seeing as though the tat will be a good reason to. The artist told me that I won’t have to worry about damaging the tattoo by cutting myself unless I cut really deep, which shouldn’t happen if I’m careful, but I’m also wondering what effects any of those weird hair removal creams could have on the tattoo after a while. Could they damage it in the long run? I’m thinking of this idea, because I’d prefer not to have stubble on my legs which could end up unbearably itchy.

Also, another thing came to mind. It’ll be freezing when I do it, and I’ll go there with long pants on. When it’s done I’ll need to take the train home for sure…no car. What risk do I run of letting my jeans rub against the tattoo while I walk home? Also, if the tat ends up going into my shoes, the same thing. I can’t go home bare footed. Also, seeing as though this will be my first tattoo, is it advisable to go with something this “big” initially or should I maybe look into something smaller to test my skin, which is generally very resiliant to most things.

And one last question, I promise. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I want my tattoo to incorporate the lizard and tiki face. I’ll let the artist advise me on the other shapes, but what meaning does the lizard itsself hold for the Polynesian people? At first, I interpreted it as a kind of dragon, with the same meaning that the Chinese have for it (strength & wisdom). But I can’t really see that coming from a gecko sort of animal.

Shot alot. ๐Ÿ˜€

Cheers

KSH
    Participant
    @ksh

i have hairy legs too! its kinda troublesome sometimes. maybe you can try waxing a few times? =p.
    hmmmm i live in singapore and it is like summer all year round, so i wun be able to help much though. ):
    i think just wear a baggy pants and your fresh tattoo will be bandage up so i guess it shouldnt be able to damage ur tat in anyway. just my opinion. (:

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

First of all using waxing products on a tattoo will wreck the tattoo prematurely – it takes off a good couple layers of skin as well as ripping the hair out by the roots.

You would need to cut deep to damage the tattoo as the ink is held in the lower dermis so normal shaving (once it has fully healed) is not usually a problem.

The tattoo is usually covered with clingfilm that shouldn’t be kept on for more than a couple of hours as you will need to wash it as soon as you get home.

As long as the pants are not skin tight you should be fine. Socks will cushion up the foot tattoo but gain need them off and the area washed as soon as at home.

The Polynesian art thing – well I went onto quite a few forums and to be blunt they are very touchy and even hostile about handing out this information to a non-Polynesian.

They feel that the western missionaries robbed them of their culture (tattooing was banned for over 200 years and only several sketches unearthed and a few pockets of secret tattooing saved the art) and also that by a non-Polynesian wearing their cultural marking is an insult.

So you have been warned should you ever visit NZ Tahiti Hawaii etc

As for the Lizard – I did a lot of digging and do not claim to know conclusively here but:

It would seem that the Lizard was held very high in Polynesian culture (some suggest a Divine spirit) this would suggest why some drawings had the lizard on chieftains face – showing that he was held in very high esteem and social standing.

There is also a suggestion that the lizard was one of protection.

Other cultures have the lizard as representing luck, regeneration or in Russian culture a curse/bad luck.

Take Care
    Matthew

GreenBlood
    Participant
    @greenblood

Thanks for the info.

I wasn’t referring to waxing products though. ๐Ÿ˜€ I meant those creams that when applied, causes the hair to become brittle above the skin. After about five minutes you can just wash it off. It’s a quick method and prevents the stubble from having sharp tips caused by shaving. It shouldn’t do anything to the lower layers of the skin as I understand, but just to be on the safe side I’ll ask around a bit more.

Sounds pretty dangerous. However, the guy coming is from Hawaii and I also recall seeing something where a westerner was actually given a traditional hand-tapped tattoo from a native Polynesian, so I’m thinking it’s not all that strict everywhere you go. I am planning on going to New Zealand sometime, but maybe I’ll keep it hidden.

Should the lizard be a protector it would be perfect for what I’m looking for. Will ask around a bit more. I also found a hammerhead shark, dolphin and manta ray…will be doing my homework. ๐Ÿ™‚

EDIT: I probably should’ve searched the site a bit better before asking. Found myself lots of answers regarding hair removal. ๐Ÿ˜‰

SimplyComplex
    Participant
    @simplycomplex
    GreenBlood;48300 wrote:
    Thanks for the info.

I wasn’t referring to waxing products though. ๐Ÿ˜€ I meant those creams that when applied, causes the hair to become brittle above the skin. After about five minutes you can just wash it off. It’s a quick method and prevents the stubble from having sharp tips caused by shaving. It shouldn’t do anything to the lower layers of the skin as I understand, but just to be on the safe side I’ll ask around a bit more.

EDIT: I probably should’ve searched the site a bit better before asking. Found myself lots of answers regarding hair removal. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I know nothing about the tattoo part since I’m still trying to figure out what to get but as a girl who has tried a million kinds of hair removal, creams leave as much stubble as shaving, and at least for me, and the hair grows back faster since its not as close. So, you shave one leg in the morning and use cream on the other, by that night the cream leg is stubbly, the shaved leg isn’t till the next morning.

hawaiian tattoo
    Participant
    @hawaiian-tattoo

I’m unsure what a gecko would mean, but tribal Hawaiian gecko tattoos tended to be geometric, think MC Esher.

Tiki gods could mean a variety of things too. Depending on wich one you pick. Ku, the war god, for example, would have an extremely mad face and represent power.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.