Vintage Kitten
    Participant
    @vintage-kitten

Hi everyone,
    I’d love some advice or opinions from any tattoo artists or from folk who’ve had maybe a similar problem.

I’ve always been interested in body modification and art but have nothing done at all. Mainly because I have VERY sensitive skin and heal really slow.

I have gone to a couple of guys in Ireland who have said they wouldn’t do anything on me because it would probably be too painful. See, pain doesn’t bother me so I kept pushing. Finally a guy in San Francisco broke it down for me: if you heal so slow you’re tattoo will turn out like shit; patchy and nasty. We did a test, he scratched my arm and told me to come back in a week to show me how it had healed. I went back and it basically still looked like a fresh scratch! I really appreciated this guy explaining it to me and it made sense why others didn’t want to ink me.

I guess my question is this: is this really the case? And, is there anything at all I can do?

To be honest, as much as I love tattoos, it is a permanent decision, I will have it for life and don’t want a piece of patchy crap on me!

Any ideas, suggestions, advice??!

coolbreeze
    Participant
    @coolbreeze

Hi kitten,
    As they say everyones body heals diffrently at different paces i too have slow healing skin aparently, i have only got a few tatts but have had 2 coverups along the way i used to heal quite quickly when i had them done but i was younger then, my tatts are faded but thats because it was done over 18 yrs ago and the recent ones dont look like crap you can usually go back to your artist after its healed and get a touch-up if needed. im going through the silverskin stage at the mo and its never happened to me before with the others it just takes time. if you care for your new art when its done and follow the general rule your ink will turn out ok, hope this helps

Vintage Kitten
    Participant
    @vintage-kitten

Thanks coolbreeze. Definitely aftercare would be very important for me I reckon.

coolbreeze
    Participant
    @coolbreeze

Hi Kitten,
    im glad i could be of service. good luck with your tattoo and when you get it you will love it im sure you wont mind going back for more as you have a liking for pain, honestly though it doesnt really hurt that much your body releases endorphins to counteract the pain and you dont feel as much after it does that, take a freind with you to talk to it helps to take your mind off things and makes it easier for your artist to do his/her thing and create your first masterpiece. Good luck let us know how it goes.

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

hi welcome to the forum,
    like said before everyone heals different .
    I have known people that heal alot slower than me get tattoos that have come out just as good
    i think as long as it does close up and heal and your not prone to any types infections you can get some tattoos done.

we have a few people here that will be able to help you out more by understanding skin types etc .

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

It really depends on the underlying cause of the slow healing if you suffer from;

Anemia

Haemophillia

Diabetes

Lupus

Aids

Leukemia

On any auto-immune suppressing drugs

Suffer from photophobia or have kidney or heart problems

Do not get any ink – it simply is not worth the increased infection risk.

The longer a tattoo is open the more chance you have of the ink being forced from the skin and infection setting in.

Looking at your pic you seem to be really pale – have you had a blood count of red and whiet blood cells done – it might ven be fixed by diet or iron supplements.

It is best to speak with a med professional and identify why you are healing slowly before getting any ink done.

Take Care
    Matthew

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.