AnnieRocks
    @

I just got cottonwood leaf tattooed on my wrist and it didn’t come out exactly as I had hoped. I wanted it to be more of an artistic interpretation of the leaf, but my artist took my idea pretty literally and it basically looks just like the leaf. I think it looks great, but I’m not crazy about the “shadow” he put around it. It doesn’t look like a shadow to me, more like a smudgy outline that is thicker in some places than others. It’s also a strange color. It’s a mixture of grey and blue, so it almost looks like the leaf is floating on water. My question is: is there anything that can be done to lighten the grey/blue color? Can it be gone over with white to make it a lot less noticeable? And I’d love to hear any creative ideas you might have about how to change the shape and thickness of the “shadow” to make it seem cooler, as opposed to just trying to get rid of it. Thank you!!

Here’s the link to a photo of it:
    http://www.thetattooforum.com/picture.php?albumid=2995&pictureid=2752

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Annie

The tattoo can be fixed but you need to let it completely heal first. I would give it around 4-6 weeks before you get any rework done.

If you use white highlighting it will help with the shadowing.

My advice is get the linework and colouring shading redone so there is a bit more shadowing and texture to the veins in the leaf.

You could also consider adding a hint of colour that spreads out along the flesh of the leaf to give it more definition.

Take Care
    Matthew

Talistar
    Participant
    @talistar

To my knowledge you cannot lighten a tattoo only make it darker…

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

The only real way to lighten the ink of a tattoo is by use of laser – preferably a ruby q-switch if it is a black ink.

That said by a strong and good use of white pigment this will create better highlights on the shadowed area – simply because it is working over some of the black pigment – which in this case has not taken too deeply as has the gray washout effect.

It is not so difficult to fix but will need an experienced artist to do it.

Take Care
    Matthew

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.