brotherlyluv
    @

My 28 year old brother Jake has a great tattoo started, it is a memorial to my father (who passed away when Jake was 14). The tattoo hasn’t been colored in.

Tuesday Jake was told that he needs to have a defibrillator implanted into his chest. Due to his condition the doctor wants to do the surgery next Tuesday.

Jake spoke with his regular Tattoo artist and explained the situation. His artist was going to drop a few appointment to fit Jake in as well as give him a great deal so that he could afford it. Jake then spoke with his doctor, who explained there is a huge risk of infection if he finishes his tattoo a few days before the surgery.

After the surgery Jake can not finish the Tattoo due to the small motor on the tattoo gun, the motor gives of frequencies that could set off the defibrillator.

Does anyone know of an artist that can work without a Tattoo gun?

Its bad enough that he has to deal with the surgery (and not drinking), I don’t want him to have to regret never finishing his memorial.

Thanks

DropScience
    Participant
    @dropscience

He should ask his doctor about rotary machines and/or pneumatic tattoo machines. I’m positive about the pneumatics, as they are run by an air compressor and have no electrical components…not too sure about the rotary though, because from what Ive seen, they DO have electrical components and a small motor, what im not sure of is if it is like the electromagnetic cycle of a standard coil machine or not…

regardless, there is hope for your brother and getting his tattoo finished.

turbosatan
    Keymaster
    @turbosatan

Speak to Izarra i am sure she will put you in touch with some traditional Maori tattooists who still use those long sticks to introduce the ink to the skin.

Cant recall what they are called.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

They are sometimes called ‘bone tappers’.

There are many cultures that use a needle on sticks or trad sharpened bone to do a tattoo.
    It is quite prevalient in Japanese, Tibetan, African, and Maori cultures.

Does not affect any defibrillators either as manually done.

Good luck and take care

Matthew

Imperial Design
    Participant
    @imperial-design
    DropScience;37216 wrote:
    He should ask his doctor about rotary machines and/or pneumatic tattoo machines. I’m positive about the pneumatics, as they are run by an air compressor and have no electrical components…not too sure about the rotary though, because from what Ive seen, they DO have electrical components and a small motor, what im not sure of is if it is like the electromagnetic cycle of a standard coil machine or not…

regardless, there is hope for your brother and getting his tattoo finished.

If he goes the pneumatic route, he’ll be fine, its just compressed air running the motor. Good luck on finding someone who can use one and has one though. If you’re in the Ventura/LA area, check out Red,White, and Blue, they have ’em set up.

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

I wouldnt suggest using the traditional method of tattooing, (tapping)

DropScience
    Participant
    @dropscience
    Izarrasink;37607 wrote:
    I wouldnt suggest using the traditional method of tattooing, (tapping)

Tapping, from what I hear, is insanely painful, as well as insanely expensive…and only a few people practice it.

It the tattoo is a modern “traditional” tattoo in the sense that it isn’t a Polynesian tribal and was done with a coil machine, then it should be finished with a modern traditional feel…not a indigenous tribal feel.

Pneumatics…Mike DeVries, Jeff Johnson, Nikko Hurtado, and many many other people are using pneumatics…the three aforementioned individuals are in California…if you type Mike DeVries in google.com, you will find a link to his shop, as well as a link to neuma’s website, and through them you should be able to find an artist that uses pneumatics.

fixedfool
    Participant
    @fixedfool

i have many tattoo’s done the way my grandfather taight me.. needle and string.. im pretty used to it i can do fills but i live in Ireland

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

whats wrong with traditional hand poking japanese style after his surgery? a few hori artists ive talked to say colors are more vibrant with hand poked tattoos than with most machines. im actually getting my back poked.

oh and if you want to use a numa, i recommend phil garcia. he uses numas and did my komodo dragon. check him out.

knarF
    Participant
    @knarf

First off, sorry to hear about his situation, hope it all works out for him.

Out of interest, for the massive risk of infection, is the tattoo near where the defibrillator is going?

Jubakuba
    Participant
    @jubakuba
    knarF;71192 wrote:
    First off, sorry to hear about his situation, hope it all works out for him.

Out of interest, for the massive risk of infection, is the tattoo near where the defibrillator is going?

I would assume that doesn’t matter much.
    Any major surgery/illness weakens your immune system and rises the risk of infection.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.