katnip
    Participant
    @katnip

I think it really depends on what kind of lower back tattoo it is… tribal and that kinda stuff looks like a “tramp stamp” to other people… I don’t like it, but then again I would never get tribal… I was thinking maybe little angel wings would be ok? maybe not so little? I don’t know… :confused: help me out… send pics if you have any

GingaSquid
    Participant
    @gingasquid

Who cares what other people think? If you want it then go get it done!

Demure
    Participant
    @demure

Any lower back ink is trampy in my opinion unless it’s part of a massive back piece.

turbosatan
    Keymaster
    @turbosatan

i foudn out the other day it also stops you from being able to have an epidural when you give birth.

so if you ever wanna have a kid you might want to think twice about doing lower back first.

i would go with a full back piece starting at shoulders and spreading down around the sides onto your hips.

Demure
    Participant
    @demure

Wow that would suck I guess.

katnip
    Participant
    @katnip
    GingaSquid;31918 wrote:
    Who cares what other people think? If you want it then go get it done!

I like this idea 😀 haha

katnip
    Participant
    @katnip
    turbosatan;31950 wrote:
    i foudn out the other day it also stops you from being able to have an epidural when you give birth.

so if you ever wanna have a kid you might want to think twice about doing lower back first.

i would go with a full back piece starting at shoulders and spreading down around the sides onto your hips.

… and why can’t you get an epidural?

Xavialune
    Participant
    @xavialune

In my opinion the ‘tramp stamp’ term itself is stupid. The lower back is just another place where ink can be seen while wearing clothing because the shirt sometimes moves up a bit, hip huggers are popular, and some shirts dont even come close to covering the spot. I dont think that it is trampy or slutty, because that is assuming the placement of a tattoo is indicative of how often a woman has sex (and who cares how often she does?). The term tramp or slut is based off of morality which is subjective..and so both of those terms are inherently sexist imo. Possibly reading too much into it but meh..Get whatever tattoo you want to get, in whatever place you want it.

Demure
    Participant
    @demure
    Xavialune;32994 wrote:
    In my opinion the ‘tramp stamp’ term itself is stupid. The lower back is just another place where ink can be seen while wearing clothing because the shirt sometimes moves up a bit, hip huggers are popular, and some shirts dont even come close to covering the spot. I dont think that it is trampy or slutty, because that is assuming the placement of a tattoo is indicative of how often a woman has sex (and who cares how often she does?). The term tramp or slut is based off of morality which is subjective..and so both of those terms are inherently sexist imo. Possibly reading too much into it but meh..Get whatever tattoo you want to get, in whatever place you want it.

That’s like saying… wear really short skirts that show your skivvies and shirts that allow your tits to fall out. No one cares how much sex you’ve had and by calling someone a slut or tramp for wearing that kind of clothes is SEXIST!

The idea is… what kind of MESSAGE do you want to send to others around you?

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

This is something I am covering in my research on culture and tattoos.

Interestingly the main areas of contention seem to be face/neck hands and the lower back.

Oddly in my interviewing of a sample of 30 (15 male and 15 female) most women (12) were subjectively against women having a lower back tattoo as the culture idea was that it was ‘slutty’.

However most of the males (14) stated that they had no issue with a woman having a tattoo on their lower back and either stated it made no difference to their appearance or actually enhanced their appearance.

Whilst face/neck and hand tattooing was mostly subjected to negative views – it was considered even worse for a female to have them on these areas than a male.

But when I spoke with several african groups who’s older culture involved facial and hand tattooing they actively promoted the idea that it enhanced feminine beauty. Even if it is now a dying art.

Obviously these are small sample groups and I am just tossing the ideas out there but I find it fascinating how we react to tattoo placement – even if we have tattoos ourselves but still find it offensive/appealing to have them on particular parts of our body.

Matthew

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink
    turbosatan;31950 wrote:

umm i dont know how true that is as i have a lower back tattoo done many years ago (before the labelling started) and i had an epidural.
    i dont think theyre trampy or skanky its personal choice and i wouldnt give a fig if someone thort i was a skank because of my tattoo…..im covered in them anyway so who cares.

Xavialune
    Participant
    @xavialune

it doesnt matter who wears what. let them wear what they want. wearing revealing clothing does come with consequences, though. As for ink on your lower back, I believe thats different. If people want to assume youre a ‘slut’ because you chose to have ink on your lower back, who cares? It is their stupidity. Clothing is a touchy subject because there are many reasons people wear revealing clothes, just as there are many reasons people get tattoos. But to assume every woman who gets ink in that spot will have sex with anything basically yes, it is sexist.

Demure
    Participant
    @demure

I don’t assume that every girl with a lower back tattoo will have sex with anything. However, I do believe that a girl with a lower back tattoo is wanting sexual attention from males around her which do in fact see the tattoo.

There are consequences to wearing revealing clothing and having scandalous tattoos.

The only exceptions are: If the girl has a huge back piece or if she is heavily clad in ink in general.

I suppose those are my opinions and considering I live in the middle of effing no where, my opinions maybe more conservative than the average person.

scrubmuncher
    Participant
    @scrubmuncher

Its more a mindless fad, all of a sudden every female on the street was getting these tatts, and for no other reason than a freind had one or every one else had one. When something like that hits the tattoo community it can be a bit touchy or sore for some tattooed people who maybe began with tattooing to gain some individuality. It sort of goes against everything some of us want tattooing to stand for. I don’t think it represents a slut or whore at all, I do find with some I can see instantly they don’t have a creative bone in thier body and choose to follow rather than stand out or be alone.
    I’ve been feeling a bit like that lately with people wanting stars.

One thing I can’t do is judge a person for the tattoo, yes call them tramp stamps or whatever but it isn’t a judgement of the person, just an opinion on what they person may be wearing, I’ve done it myslelf we all have, and in reality none of us have the right to do that.

Hmmmm, anyway my 2pnce on it.

Xavialune
    Participant
    @xavialune

I guess it really depends on the person. Thats why I dont judge someone immediately even if they have a so-called ‘tramp stamp’. Theres a piece I want dne on my lower back which I designed myself and I think it is quite beautiful and original, but the lower back is really the only spot it will fit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.