tattedteen13
Participant
@tattedteen13

Hello all, I am currently a freshman at UNL in Lincoln, Nebraska. As a final project for my english course we were challenged to choose an issue in a community that we belonged to and express why it was urgent. Within the last year, I have gotten two tattoos that I am very proud of. Yet, sometimes I wonder about how the more visible one on the back of my arm will affect how others perceive me and even potentially my job opportunities. I would just like to share some of the information I found about this issue and how perceptions are beginning to look up. Growing up in Nebraska, there is more of a conservative outlook against tattoos so I was expecting to find more information on discrimination but was pleased with the loosening in policies that have been coming into play.
What I found most reassuring when researching was that people no longer view the tattooed community as a homogenous group. People get tattoos for all kinds of reasons ranging from religious to resistance. The idea that people with tattoos have a history of delinquency is moving out of people’s heads. Still 70 percent of people with tattoos have them in places not always visible. The only reason behind this is not fear of judgement but it can not be denied that that played a role in a good amount of those people. Tattoos are a huge commitment and ignite pride in people, no one should be shamed for the art on their body.
Jobs that do not allow visible tattoos are largely those where the employee interacts directly with the customer, nursing jobs, and classy business jobs. Arguments for these policies are not wanting to offend anyone, the only generations (being nursed) are not accustomed to tattoos and it is unprofessional. Those are all opinion based with little to no research behind them. Generation X and Millennials are the most heavily tatted in today’s society and they are the ones who make up most of the work force and are about to take up the work force. It is important that the Code of Ethics is modified to fit the growing trend of tattoos. Societal norms are shifting, policies and attitudes need to as well. Discriminating against tattoos goes against most companies core values of acceptance and diversity. It may even violate Title VII and it’s protected classes.
What is being done and needs to continue, is the formation of a case-to-case policy in regards to tattoos. One should not have to worry about being denied employment because of their ink and therefore should not feel as if they have to hide their ink. Work ethic is not measured by how professional you may look in most cases. A lot of companies agree that someone with tattoos who is neat is much more appealing than someone just as qualified with no tattoos but who is not well presented.
I am thankful that I chose this research topic. I am more assured that my tattoos will remain a positive addition to my body in the years to come. Perceptions seems to be improving dramatically. However, for those reading this, I am curious if you have ever faced discrimination/negativity against your tattoos and how so. Did it make you feel any type of regret? How did it make you feel?
Thank you for reading.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.