AdamNC83
    Participant
    @adamnc83

I just got my first tat in Scotland while on vacation (I know I know, I’ve heard many people say it wasn’t smart, but I love it!!) Anyway, I took a shower tonight while holding my arm up in the air to prevent it from getting the full blast of the shower, I got it wet.

When I got out of the shower, I noticed some dead skin on part of it, so I gently rolled my finger over it and got it off before I washed it and moisturized it.
    The small piece of skin was purple in color.

My tat is 10 days old today.

Should I be worried? Am I going to lose color? How should I shower without losing any ink?

Thanks, I really need some peace of mind. I’ve never experienced such anxiety.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Peeling is perfectly normal
    please insert link to a pic of your tattoo

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Welcome to the forum!

Relax. That’s normal.

Yes, post pictures please.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

It’s perfectly normal. It’s excess ink in that dead skin, nothing to worry about. You can shower normally now, no need to keep the tattoo away.

AdamNC83
    Participant
    @adamnc83

Thank you to all of you who gave me some peace of mind.

I’ll post a pic of it in the Gallery section. Keep watching, it’ll be there shortly.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Seems to be healing very well. Nothing to worry about at all! Always hard to know with a first tattoo, I freaked out with my first big one, when I saw bits and pieces fall off in the shower 😉 The tattoo, however, stayed put. Looks completely fine to me.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

It is a tattoo not a tat

AdamNC83
    Participant
    @adamnc83

Just concerned about some bumps that under my tattoo ink especially under the orange. They itch, but I’m not scratching them. Will they go away? I’m using lubriderm fragrance free and a European cream called Easy tattoo. I alternate them.

Also, what is considered too much sun for a new tattoo? Should I not drive without long sleeves or sunscreen during the day?

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Tattoos take at least three months to fully heal. Bumps, pimples, and scabs are normal. As you said, don’t scratch. Some locations take longer than others to heal.

Relax. I had one in particular that got thick areas just under a dark red ink. It was over six months before it looked anywhere near normal. Now? It looks just fine.

Keep us posted.

Regarding sun: Sun is really bad on new tattoos, but bad on old ones too. I buy sunscreen by the case. That and moisturizer I put on hard to reach places with a miniature paint roller.

AdamNC83
    Participant
    @adamnc83

Thanks Sam,

Maybe I need to clarify, I don’t work or even play outside. I don’t even use any sort of tanning bed or sunbathe. I work in an office and sometimes I have to travel to other offices in the area. As I am fair-skinned, I was told that driving around in a car during the day isn’t as bad for your skin because your modern car windows tend to block UV rays, but what I’m concerned about is these drives I have to make sometimes. My ink is on the underside of my left arm, so I’m not sure if it’ll get as much sun. Also, I have heard that European inks and their methods are different, so they tend to resist fading. I don’t know if it’s just lore or if there’s any truth to it.

Should I be concerned about keeping my tattoo out of the sun or am I even at risk with the time I spend even in sunlight? My ink is 12 days old.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Incidental exposure won’t fade your tattoos. Mowing the lawn without a shirt is different. I love the beach. When I’m on the beach I use sunscreen. The rest of the time I stay in dimly lit bars till dusk.

AdamNC83
    Participant
    @adamnc83

Awesome! Thanks Sam, now I feel better. Is my tattoo at the point where I can massage in lotion not as gently? I have been rubbing in lotion and massaging it in rather than just gently rubbing it.

Sorry I’m just anal because I paid a lot and its a lifetime commitment and I want it to keep looking great.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@AdamNC83 139307 wrote:

I’m using lubriderm fragrance free and a European cream called Easy tattoo.

Stop putting anything on it at all or maybe just the luberderm once or twice a day. What is in the Easy Tattoo cream?
    If you stop putting stuff on it the bumps will go away and the tattoo will not be harmed.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

If you’re fair-skinned, there is no legitimate reason to be in the sun longer than 20 minutes without sunscreen.

Ink goes into the dermis when properly done, whether it’s done in America, Europe, or Timbuktu. I don’t work with tattoos, but there’s really no “superior” way to do this, so far as I know, only correct or incorrect. Healing is a highly individualized process. If we could all lie inside hyperbaric chambers and never sweat or go outside, this would be ideal, but this is impractical for some. Sun exposure is going to cause higher skin cell turnover. Water submergence is going to cause increased skin cell turnover. Tight clothing will do the same. Applying acne products will also cause this. Avoid all of these things until the healing process is over. It’s no guarantee you’ll completely elude problems, but it will minimize them.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.