djmckeever
Participant
@djmckeever

Hello there guys I am new to the forum and also new to getting tattoos. I just got quite a large lotus done on my wrist 5 days ago and have been putting tattoo goo on it from day one but I noticed that it started peeling something horrible and I work in a shop where I must wear long sleeves, it seems that every time I apply aftercare it peels off more of it. As of this evening damn near the entire thing has peeled. Take note I have not picked or scratched at it at all but my sleeves have possibly taken some off but as of now ot looks faded and sad compared to what it looked like when it was done is this normal or have I messed up?

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

Welcome to the forum!

Never use tattoo goo. I (and many on this forum) use the dry wrap method following a new tattoo. Don’t use anything containing petroleum. I use Redemption, and other products made with a cocoa butter base.

It is natural for your tattoo to peal. Don’t panic.

djmckeever
Participant
@djmckeever

Dry wrap?? remember I’m new to this haha and can you send a link for that redemption you use

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove

Sam is correct. Peeling is natural and healthy.

Post pictures of the tattoo. It’s natural for the tattoo to look a little dull while peeling, and it’s not going to have the same brightness as a tattoo has immediately after finishing, but we can’t help you without seeing it.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Never use any product with tattoo in the name it just means you payed to much for it.
It is perfectly normal for it to peel like a bad sunburn just don’t pick at it.
After it is done peeling it will start to grow a new layer of skin cells over the top of it were it will look very dull again normal.
Post a pic of it.

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

@djmckeever 136565 wrote:

Dry wrap?? remember I’m new to this haha and can you send a link for that redemption you use

The dry wrap method starts when your tattoo work is finished. It is wrapped with plastic “saran” wrap. You then remove the wrap several times daily, wash your tattoo and re wrap it. This goes on for two or three days. Then you let it exposed to the air. When it starts to peel I use a VERY THIN layer of moisturizer.

Tattoo Afterlife

Talk to your tattoo artist. They may sell you some cheaper. (Really, if your artist uses it during the tattoo process you can get by with a cocoa butter moisturizer)

jerryatrophy
Participant
@jerryatrophy

A big lotus on the wrist eh? Let’s see it.

djmckeever
Participant
@djmckeever

do you apply moisturizer under the saran wrap??

djmckeever
Participant
@djmckeever

WP_20131218_002.jpg

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

@djmckeever 136582 wrote:

do you apply moisturizer under the saran wrap??

No ………………….

djmckeever
Participant
@djmckeever

cool. just making sure im not the brightest person ever 😉

djmckeever
Participant
@djmckeever

the second is shit quality but its the faded look after peel

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Looks good nice line work

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove

Looks normal to my untrained eye. It’s never going to look as brilliant as right after it was done.

The one good thing about Saran Wrap, if you’re sticking to a wrap, you’re not sticking to clothes covered in bacteria and you’re not scabbing ONTO clothes, which can cause problems with tattoos and losing color (as well as an infection risk). I only wrap at work or when running, but some people do an around the clock wrap. It’s a matter of preference and what works for you regarding that; I could wax on about why I don’t wrap at home, but TL;DR.

Also, you don’t moisturize a healing tattoo. You know how it says, “Don’t put this on broken skin,” on the bottle? It’s not a suggestion. It’s an instruction.

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove

Looks normal to my untrained eye. It’s never going to look as brilliant as right after it was done.

The one good thing about Saran Wrap, if you’re sticking to a wrap, you’re not sticking to clothes covered in bacteria and you’re not scabbing ONTO clothes, which can cause problems with tattoos and losing color (as well as an infection risk). I only wrap at work or when running, but some people do an around the clock wrap. It’s a matter of preference and what works for you regarding that; I could wax on about why I don’t wrap at home, but TL;DR.

Also, you don’t moisturize a healing tattoo. You know how it says, “Don’t put this on broken skin,” on the bottle? It’s not a suggestion. It’s an instruction.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.