#39654
raoule3
Guest
    @

Hey all, i have been reading everywhere about whether you can exercise after you have had a tattoo done and there is a lot of conflicting information. It would be great if someone could clear it up for me. Basically i plan on getting a tattoo on my outer thigh and i do intense running every day and play football matches every weekend. What would people’s advice be? Also in the long run is the thigh a place that stretches a lot or a place where tattoos are vulnerable to changes? Thanks

#130336
Amok
Participant
    @amok

Hey and welcome.

Sweat and humidity is bad for a healing tattoo. I would have a break of at least a week before playing footy. But you should be ok to run 3 days after the tattoo, but if you feel it stretching (the skin gets tight when it heals) you should stop.

The first 3 days is the most crucial part.


Instagram: pacsyd
#130339
buttwheat
Participant
    @buttwheat

take a week off it wont kill you.

#130357
whosyourdaddy
Guest
    @
raoule3;117265 wrote:
Hey all, i have been reading everywhere about whether you can exercise after you have had a tattoo done and there is a lot of conflicting information. It would be great if someone could clear it up for me. Basically i plan on getting a tattoo on my outer thigh and i do intense running every day and play football matches every weekend. What would people’s advice be? Also in the long run is the thigh a place that stretches a lot or a place where tattoos are vulnerable to changes? Thanks

Honestly in *MY* opinion, it doesn’t MATTER. the tattoo wound is no different than a cat scratch or any other light scrap/cut. you can go run an hour after, fuck it!

as long as you don’t scrape it, rub it or pick it while its scabbing/healing then your good to go.
I have my entire upper thigh tattooed and I ran/ worked with it healing and it came out fine.

Just don’t go swimming in sewer water and you should be GOLDEN!

#130351
anonymous
Participant
    @anonymous
Amok;117266 wrote:
Sweat and humidity is bad for a healing tattoo.

The first 3 days is the most crucial part.

+1

I take the first 3 days off and then I generally go back. I’m actually more concerned about the gym itself than I am about the exercise though. Gyms are giant petri dishes.

#130380
whosyourdaddy
Guest
    @
D3FiANC3;117291 wrote:
+1

I take the first 3 days off and then I generally go back. I’m actually more concerned about the gym itself than I am about the exercise though. Gyms are giant petri dishes.

I notice the 3rd day as-well is the best but you dont have to be as concerned about your tattoo like they say.
my most recent one was on my hand and im a professional house painter. I had to work the next day I got the tattoo on my hand done and few day more after that. I was outside in the HEAT, Sweating and covered in paint. Although, my tattoo healed nicely and turned out great! 😎

#130384
msmercury
Participant
    @msmercury

My tattoo is on my outer calf. I’m a daily long distance runner and my artist told me to just take it easy a few days, but I took off a little longer. I tried not to let my clothing touch my leg where my tattoo is at first. I think a week off is probably fine. Just remember that once it is healed you will need to protect it from the sun. I don’t know about the thigh and stretching. :):):)

#130392
anonymous
Participant
    @anonymous
whosyourdaddy;117315 wrote:
I notice the 3rd day as-well is the best but you dont have to be as concerned about your tattoo like they say.
my most recent one was on my hand and im a professional house painter. I had to work the next day I got the tattoo on my hand done and few day more after that. I was outside in the HEAT, Sweating and covered in paint. Although, my tattoo healed nicely and turned out great! 😎

Well it’s not that the sweating and so forth is necessarily going to cause serious problems, but rather that it increases your risk of problems. If you are a smoker and have a wisdom tooth pulled, smoking will increase your risk of infection and lengthen healing time, but it won’t necessarily cause serious problems. Still, if one can reduce the likelihood of issues, it’s a good idea.

#130394
whosyourdaddy
Guest
    @
D3FiANC3;117327 wrote:
Well it’s not that the sweating and so forth is necessarily going to cause serious problems, but rather that it increases your risk of problems. If you are a smoker and have a wisdom tooth pulled, smoking will increase your risk of infection and lengthen healing time, but it won’t necessarily cause serious problems. Still, if one can reduce the likelihood of issues, it’s a good idea.

In this day and age almost EVERY one is afraid of the big bad GERMS and bacteria. but your body is naturally equipped with the proper tools to fight off infection. If you can heal just fine from a cat scratch then your all good.

The likely hood of getting an infection is very slim. In *MY* opinion their is no need to act like BUBBLE BOY over a scratch on your body that will naturally heal.

220px-Bubble_Boy_movie_poster.jpg

UNLESS your swimming in swamp or sewer water then your gonna get an infection. I do understand your ‘point’ is to lower chances/rates of infection. But people go beyond measure or take it as they cant go about enjoying their day because they have scratch pigments.

#130399
anonymous
Participant
    @anonymous
whosyourdaddy;117329 wrote:
In this day and age almost EVERY one is afraid of the big bad GERMS and bacteria. but your body is naturally equipped with the proper tools to fight off infection. If you can heal just fine from a cat scratch then your all good.

The likely hood of getting an infection is very slim. In *MY* opinion their is no need to act like BUBBLE BOY over a scratch on your body that will naturally heal.

UNLESS your swimming in swamp or sewer water then your gonna get an infection. I do understand your ‘point’ is to lower chances/rates of infection. But people go beyond measure or take it as they cant go about enjoying their day because they have scratch pigments.

I don’t think exercising a little extra caution for three days qualifies for Bubble Boy status. FWIW, there is a medical basis for these recommendations.

Quote:
Because inflammation plays roles in fighting infection, clearing debris and inducing the proliferation phase, it is a necessary part of healing. However, inflammation can lead to tissue damage if it lasts too long. Thus the reduction of inflammation is frequently a goal in therapeutic settings. Inflammation lasts as long as there is debris in the wound. Thus the presence of dirt or other objects can extend the inflammatory phase for too long, leading to a chronic wound.

Read more at: http://www.healthfiend.com/health/how-do-wounds-heal-tissue-repair-how-healing-works/
Copyright © HealthFiend

Also, as I said earlier, my personal concern is more for the shit that you can pick up at the gym. Your body is already battling one potential source of infection and needlessly introducing it to others during the inflammatory phase is just plain stupid. That is not to say I haven’t done it – but in hind sight, it was stupid.

#130410
whosyourdaddy
Guest
    @
D3FiANC3;117333 wrote:
I don’t think exercising a little extra caution for three days qualifies for Bubble Boy status. FWIW, there is a medical basis for these recommendations.

Also, as I said earlier, my personal concern is more for the shit that you can pick up at the gym. Your body is already battling one potential source of infection and needlessly introducing it to others during the inflammatory phase is just plain stupid. That is not to say I haven’t done it – but in hind sight, it was stupid.

That link you sent me is just some one ELSE’s opinion on the matter. Just because you posted a link written by an “expert” does not mean the fact is true.

Im talking from personal experience and I had never had a problem “battling infections

#130417
buttwheat
Participant
    @buttwheat
whosyourdaddy;117315 wrote:
my most recent one was on my hand and im a professional house painter. I had to work the next day I got the tattoo on my hand done and few day more after that. I was outside in the HEAT, Sweating and covered in paint. Although, my tattoo healed nicely and turned out great! 😎

I would like to see this tattoo

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.