carolinet483
Participant
@carolinet483

Hi!

I got a tattoo on my foot one week ago. Most of it looks normal and is healing fine, but right in the center is a patch that was really sore and bruised right after I had it done. A huge scab formed and the skin around it was red, so I went to see my doctor and also the tattoo artist. The tattoo artist said I must just have sensitive skin and that it was irritated and it’d heal up on its own, the doctor basically said the same and gave me antibiotics and ointment for it.

Today though, as I was washing it, the large scab came off. I didn’t pick it off, but I may have pushed it a bit too hard when I was wiping it clean. Now what’s exposed looks like an open wound- raw red shiny skin, a completely new layer. It’s very painful, just like if you scrape your knee and you pick the scab off yourself. I understand that this may make the tattoo look bad when it’s healed, but right now, my priority is making sure it’s healthy and not infected. If I just keep using the ointment and keeping it clean, will the raw skin be ok? Or is this a really bad sign?

I posted a link to a pic of it, hopefully that works. Thanks a lot!
Caroline

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2nriudf&s=3

ArniVidar
@arnividar

You’ll probably need to go in again to have that spot re-inked, but that shouldn’t really be a problem. This is just an open wound.. don’t lather ointment in it. Leave it to dry and heal. That part of the tattoo is probably ruined, but you are right.. your main and most important priority is to stay healthy.

And as a personal tip.. never rub a healing tattoo when drying it. Dab the towel over it very lightly to get most of the water drops off, and then let it dry on it’s own the rest of the way. That way you never chance rubbing off the scabs.

carolinet483
Participant
@carolinet483

Thanks for the advice! That’s what I was hoping to hear. I can always get that part touched up later, just wanted to make sure my foot wasn’t going to fall off 🙂

Chief D
Participant
@chief-d

No worries
You will be fine. Feet are always challenging spots for tattoos. Keep it clean and dry, and wash it frequently. Tattoos are suprisingly hearty. Worry about touch ups when it is totally healed. Your artist should work with you.

carolinet483
Participant
@carolinet483

Thanks to both of you! I’ve been keeping it clean and dry and it’s healed up amazingly well over the past 2 days. I think the rest of the tat will be fine, and the touch up should be no problem. Phew!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.