Magnimoth
Participant
@magnimoth

Is it normal for your tattoo to have some smudging? The outlines on my armband are a little smudged, mostly on the underside of my arm where it rests when I’m sleeping or doing other things. Just wanted to check; I’m still new enough to tattoos to worry constantly about how it’s going to come out looking. I got it about a week ago, by the way.

Blue1
Participant
@blue1

I’d need to see a pic of this “smudging” but it sounds like you have had a “blow out” basically, your artist went to deep and hard and it blew outside the original outline (due to the pressure) But I would need to see a pic to be sure

anjayenunciates
Participant
@anjayenunciates
Magnimoth;62220 wrote:
Is it normal for your tattoo to have some smudging? The outlines on my armband are a little smudged, mostly on the underside of my arm where it rests when I’m sleeping or doing other things. Just wanted to check; I’m still new enough to tattoos to worry constantly about how it’s going to come out looking. I got it about a week ago, by the way.

Do the blurry parts of your tattoo have a grey haze around the original tattooed area?
Do the blurry areas look like this?
Tattoo_Blow-out-1.jpg
If so, then you have a blow out.
Blow outs happen if the artist somehow manages to penetrate the ink a layer deeper than he/she was supposed to.

Don’t freak out though! Most blow outs are fixable. I had a pretty bad one on my foot (I could see it hours later). But, luckily, after two months of healing, the blow out wasn’t nearly as bad as it originally looked, and I just got mine fixed by a more reputable artist at a better shop. I made sure to go to a well known artist instead of my original artist because my original artist lied to me; he told me it wasn’t blow out when I came back to him the next day and showed him the tattoo.

If you do have a blow out, and you still trust your artist, I would inform them of the problem and go and see them pretty soon. Most artists will touch up and fix the blow out as best they can. If you don’t trust your artist, check yelp.com for the best tattoo shops in your area and have an artist at it fix your tattoo. But, remember, you should wait at least a month and a half before having the blow out fixed.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.