Audriella
@

So, I was lucky enough to join the tattoo world two days ago with my first tattoo and I had some aftercare questions if anyone would care to help…

Two days ago my friend, someone fairly new to the tattoo world did a medium sized tattoo on my forearm, something I have wanted to do for years now. Don’t worry I made sure I got to see a couple tattoos he has done prior to mine before I had him do mine.
Afterwards, however, he did not put anything on my new tattoo to cover it such as a bandage….
Second, he told me to lather it with A & D Ointment whenever it gets dry which I have been doing…
Though right now all it is is slightly raised, it has never oozed, bled, scabbed or peeled and barely hurts for that matter. What does this mean?
One more thing, I am going on vacation in 5 days and I was wondering worried I should be about getting it near the pool, hot tub or ocean. Right now I am still too afraid to take a shower, ha ha!

Thanks for any information! 🙂

Joker1
Participant
@joker1

You didn’t say whether your friend was an apprentice in a shop or a scratcher, so I’ll just assume the former.
Bleeding should usually stop within the first hour or two of getting a tattoo, and gooey plasma usually appears a few hours afterwards and can continue for about a day. He probably should have wrapped in something (usually Glad-Wrap or cling film, whatever you wanna call it) since it’s an open wound on your arm and you wanna keep it covered for an hour or so.
The A & D stuff (I use bepanthen) should be used 2-3 times a day, making sure it’s rubbed in. You don’t want the skin too moist considering infections love a warm, moist breeding ground. Also, too much of it will make your skin greasy and causes pimples (in my experience anyway).
My arm was swollen for a couple days afterwards, so no need to worry about that (unless it’s still raised/swollen after a couple weeks).
Scabbing should occur a few days afterwards (some people don’t scab at all though, I know I do)
The pool, hot tub and especially the ocean are a no-no, as well as the sun. I’m curious as to why your artist wouldn’t warn you about those.
Showering is fine, just don’t saturate the tattoo for an extended period of time and pat dry (don’t rub, might pull off some scabs)

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

this subject has been covered many many times before so a simple search would have given you your answers..

as usual.. joker1 hit the nail on ther head with his answers;)

i cant believe they didnt tell you how to look after it, the healing process is very important to your own health and also the life span of your tattoo.
i always give an aftercare sheet and a tube of cream to all my clients, and talk them through it as well just to be on the safe side.

place some photo’s of it up so we can see it

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.