Gish
    Participant
    @gish

Hi guys ,

i’m getting my first tattoo next week and i’m in need of some help .

I’ve been reading the aftercare threads for the past 2 hours on what to do and what to use on a new tattoo .

It seems that most of you use Bepanthen , A & D ointment , Hemp stick or TAC .

The problem is that i’m confused by some people saying that Bepanthen pulls out colours , making them duller and fade , whilst others say that A & D does the same .

I’m spending quite a bit of money on my ink so of course i want to make absolutely sure that what i’m doing is the best i can do .

So do you guys still recommend me using Bepathen or A & D ointment , or should i use Hemp stick or TAC ?

Thx alot everyone

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

Bepathen or any other antiseptic can lift ink but only if it is used excessively and/or for a very prolonged period of time.

If you do use it;

Use for the first 2-5 days until the scab forms and put just enough to cover the tattoo. Do not swamp it.

Used sparingly it works very well and keep the cuts clean and infection free.

Otherwise just keep clean by water and use the other products – it is really how you feel and heal.

Take Care
    Matthew

Gish
    Participant
    @gish

Thx for the advice Matthew .

I think i’ll go with the Bepanthen then .

I’ve got 3 more questions :

– when scabs form do you still have to wash it 2 or 3 times a day + moisturize it ?

– do you keep the lotion on the whole time or would it be better to let the tattoo maybe completely dry up and then reapply some lotion ?

– is there any harm if you lay on it the whole night while sleeping ?

Thx alot

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

The main rule to the scabbing is never pick them – no matter how much the itch.
    Give them a slap do not scratch, rub, pick or play with them.

It is always good to wash the tattoo area at least twice a day once on a morning and evening as sweat and bacteria does build up on the skin.

With regards to moisturising – it stops them itching but don’t soak the scabs in it a thin layer 2-3 times a day is enough.

Alternatively some just let them dry heal – again it is how much you can cope with itching.

Sleeping on them is fine although you may find it uncomfortable or sore.

Do not wear tight clothing on the area as can tear the scabs.

Also when scabs first peel off you may get a small amount of ink in them do not panic this is normal. If you find the ink drops out leaving a red patch let it heal and go back to the tattooist for a touch up.

Take Care
    Matthew

wak
    Participant
    @wak

Sherav covered it.

I use Bepanthen only for the first couple of days, then I go for a dry-healing (I’m sure others would have different advise – this is what I do). I find that I get pimples if I use it too much… so I only put it on in the morning and before bed and I don’t rub it on thick.

I only had an issue once with ink falling out after Bepanthen… but the area was a bit overworked by the artist and it was right on the shoulder joint (which is hard for that anyway).

Don’t know what country you’re in… but in Australia there is an all natural Paw-Paw ointment (not sold as a tattoo aftercare product) that I sometimes use after the Bepanthen – again – sparingly and only once or twice a day for a couple of days.

Good luck!

Gish
    Participant
    @gish

Thx alot for the advice guys , appreciate it

3 more days and then i finally get my first ink done !

richiex
    Participant
    @richiex

I’ve just had a Japanese dragon on my chest/shoulder/arm and used Bepanthen for the first 3 days.
    Didn’t get any problems with colour.
    Didn’t scab at all….got peeling instead like sunburn so I then just used an unscented moisturiser and it’s been fine ๐Ÿ™‚

Gish
    Participant
    @gish

Hey guys ,

so i got my tattoo done today , only the outlines , and i had everything arranged so that i didn’t had to go outside for a couple of days .

But something really important just came up and i have no choice but to go outside .

It will only take less then a minute with my motorbike but the problem is that i’m staying in Thailand so the sun is really scorching hot .

So would it really be such a bad idea to go outside for even less then a minute ?

The tattoo is almost a full sleeve and goes over my shoulder and a part of my chest .

I don’t have any long sleeve t shirts , only a sweater vest but that doesn’t seem a good idea to put that on without having cling film to wrap up my arm .

Some advice would really be appreciated !!

Thx

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi Gish

Sadly you are a prisoner for the next 6 weeks….

Mwahaha

:p

Seriously though if it is very limited and not sun bathing style you will be fine – just make sure the skin don’t dry out or burn up.

You shouldnt apply sun cream to the tattooed area until it is healed but be sure to use on rest of you.

If you are really worried use an umbrella for the shade.

Take care
    Matthew

PS post up what you had done – can’t wait to see it.

Gish
    Participant
    @gish

Hi Matthew ,

yeah it’s only like 1 min i’m going to be in the sun for , but just wanted some reassurence .

You’ve been a really big help to me , thx alot man appreciate it !

I’ll post some pics as soon as i can ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.