cherry
    Participant
    @cherry

I have recently had a tattoo, i was told to reapply my cling film dressing for 5 days so it doesn’t scab but ive been told by several people that this is wrong and so i took the dressing off.
    Its started to scab alot now, and i’m worried the scab may come off from putting clothes on ect.
    What happens to the scab? does it just fall off? :S
    & if it does, won’t that take the top layer of ink off?

help!
    x
    i wasn’t given any cream or lotion to put on, just this antibacterial soap that i was supposed to use when changing the dressing.

should i have a cream?
    btw, i got my tattoo done on the 6th febuary so its scabbed quite a bit now.

Megan
    Participant
    @megan

Yeah the scab just heals, i had to wear some dressing for a couple hours, then i got to take it off. your tattoo will be ok, just dont pick at it. it’ll fade if your in the sun a lot too…so be careful…put some unscented lotion on it, it’ll be ok

AvidRdr
    @

The scab will eventually come off on its own. Don’t pick at it, or the color of the tatoo will fade.

As it comes off, you will see the ink color in the scab. Don’t worry, there will still be plenty of color in your skin. Just don’t pick it out prematurely.

Generously apply lotion on it several times a day for the next few weeks. (I used a creamy one rather than an oily/waxy one).

Teri K
    Participant
    @teri-k

Hi! I have pasted below the aftercare instructions that I get from the shop where I am tattooed at. Good luck and congrats!!!

After the tattoo procedure, you will experience some soreness. The tattooed area may become a bit swollen or bruised. It may also continue weeping serous fluid (white blood cells and lymphatic discharge) for some hours, or even a couple of days. This is not pus. It is your body’s natural reaction to receiving a wound, which, in a controlled way, is what you will have done.

After the tattoo procedure, leave the bandage on for at least 2 hours. Immediately after removing the bandage, wash the tattoo (with clean hands) with very warm soapy water. We recommend using a mild anti-bacterial liquid soap, such as DIAL ANTI-BACTERIAL LIQUID SOAP. Rinse well, let it air dry.

Apply a small amount of a fragrance and aloe free lotion. Raven Ink recommends a high quality lotion, such as Aquaphor. Very gently apply a small amount of the lotion to the tattoo, being very careful to not disturb any scabbing that might occur. Use a very minimal amount in the first few days. A thin layer will be perfect.

You should never let your tattoo become so dry that it cracks and bleeds.

For the next 2 to 4 weeks, shower only. You need to clean your tattoo a couple times a day, one of which can be in the shower. Make your showers quick.

All other bodies of water need to be avoided. Such as: bathtubs, saunas, hot tubs, swimming pools, rivers, oceans, etc. Even sweating a lot without prompt cleaning can cause problems.

Avoid direct sunlight on your tattoo for the first 4 weeks, even for the life of your tattoo. When your tattoo is healed and you go out into the sun, Raven Ink recommends that you apply a high SPF sun block on your tattoo. Your tattoo will fade with time, that is natural, but be aware that UV rays will shorten the life of your tattoo considerably. Again, tanning beds need to be avoided for at least 4 weeks after getting tattooed.

When ever possible, wear loose, airy clothing over your new tattoo until it has had time to heal. Constant rubbing will wear off scabs prematurely and case color or line loss.

THINGS TO AVOID DURING THE HEALING PROCESS:

-NEVER touch your tattoo with dirty hands. Always wash your hands before and after cleaning or applying lotion to you tattoo.

-No baths. No swimming. No hot tubbing. No saunas or tanning beds.

-Do not take long showers…Make them quick.

-Do not scratch or pick at the scabs.(If you get any)

-No oral contact. This goes for dogs and cats (mostly) They see it as an open wound, they want to help. Do not let them.

-Do not expose to direct sunlight. Prolonged exposure to the sunlight will fade your tattoo, even after the healing process. Sunscreen will help to prevent fading.

Micky
    Participant
    @micky

Keep the wrap off,as was mentioned you were only supposed to have it on for a few hours. It’s normal for it to scab as it’s healing. Don’t pick at it,it will fall off on it’s own and make sure sure to use lotion on it since it’s in the scabbing phase.

newschool
    @

Hey there, The product you need is babantham, its avaible in any pharmacy. its a cream for nappy rash on babys bums. its the best product to use for healing tattoos. the cling flim is a no no. just make sure you wash your tattoo a few times a day and apply the cream each time. dont worry it wont fall off

southrnbell21
    @

Get Lubriderm lotion and apply it 3 to 5 times a day. You want it to peel not scab. If it does scab then DO NOT PICK AT IT!!! it will fade really bad if you pick it. Make sure you moisturize it but not to much just enough to where the skin doesnt feel scrathy.

littlesis15@sbcglobal.net
    @

get some ointment like A & D ointment you can find it in the baby aisle at any store. use that until it heals and dont pick at the scabs. they should have told how to take care of the tat before you left. i was always told to put ointment on it to keep it from doing that and it didnt scab up. hope this helps

Modern Black Dahlia
    @

Yeah your only supposed to have the dressing on it for like 2 hours. Just be sure not to wear too tight of clothes. DONT PICK THE SCAB!!! it will take out some color. THe scab just heals…and looks normal. Dont worry. Just leave it alone and keep applying the recommended tattoo lotion/oil

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.