T1m35
Participant
@t1m35

Hi all, New member here!

I have done a lot of research for my upcoming tattoo and are getting mixed answers on some questions I am have. I am looking to get a tattoo located on my back shoulder blade at the end of May. My concern is that I start working as a lifeguard at the end of June. During my job I swim almost daily and am guaranteed to be in the sun everyday. My artist said I should be mostly healed after a month and as long as I use SPF lotion and apply constantly then I shouldn’t see any fading or irregularities. Should I have any concerns about fading or are their any other precautions I should take.

Thanks for any help!

Devious6
Participant
@devious6

Welcome to the forum! I’m a relative newbie here so I am sure the experienced folks will also chime in. I just had the last work done on my first tattoo this afternoon – timed the completion for the upcoming swim season since we love to use our pool. Your artist’s recommendation jives with what I was told and what I found in my research. My initial work was done just a few days over a month ago and I am pretty well healed – but everyone heals differently. By week 2 I was already looking really good but it took the month to get full black/gray back as the skin healed. I was told to stay out of hot tubs, pools, the ocean, lakes (in other words, no immersion) for 2 to 3 weeks. A month should be fine.

In terms of sun block, my artist recommends a minimum of SPF 35, but I have seen many who recommend at least SPF 50. Just make sure you reapply frequently and after going into the water.

Enjoy your first tattoo! What are you having done?

T1m35
Participant
@t1m35

thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I’m having a guardian angel done. The design my artist drew up looks really good and I’ll be sure to post a finished photo of it after!

Dan
Participant
@dan

@T1m35 147547 wrote:

Hi all, New member here!

I have done a lot of research for my upcoming tattoo and are getting mixed answers on some questions I am have. I am looking to get a tattoo located on my back shoulder blade at the end of May. My concern is that I start working as a lifeguard at the end of June. During my job I swim almost daily and am guaranteed to be in the sun everyday. My artist said I should be mostly healed after a month and as long as I use SPF lotion and apply constantly then I shouldn’t see any fading or irregularities. Should I have any concerns about fading or are their any other precautions I should take.

Thanks for any help!

yep ! once it’s healed start using sunblock,I use SPF 50 and 70,I work outdoors as well.I also lotion up everyday with fragrance free Aveeno.

Devious6
Participant
@devious6

@Dan 147550 wrote:

yep ! once it’s healed start using sunblock,I use SPF 50 and 70,I work outdoors as well.I also lotion up everyday with fragrance free Aveeno.

+1 on the Aveeno!! I used it as the post Aquaphor lotion beginning on day 3 and have continued to use it since. And, it is also great on the sunburn I got on my non-tattooed arm parts. 😎

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

I have always heard to never use sunscreen/sunblock on a unhealed tattoo. Tattoos can take months to heal. That being said I have never heard a good reason why not use sunscreen on a fully healed tattoo.

T1m35
Participant
@t1m35

Really? My tattooist said I should be fine but that being said I don’t know a crazy amount about my artist, only that I liked his work. I appreciate your input though, Ill look into it more.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.