wickedjr89
    Participant
    @wickedjr89

Hi. I had my eyebrow pierced a few years ago, and I made sure I wasn’t allergic to it. I’m allergic to nickel and my skin will pick up on any nickel however i’ve had piercings in my ears (which have been closed forever now) with no problem, like surgical steel, yellow gold..so I know I wasn’t allergic to it, I would have broke out in an itchy rash if that was the case. However it pushed itself out, which i’ve heard just happens sometimes so since I didn’t know what it was doing at the time I now have a permanent indent in my eyebrow. I was wondering if maybe I could try the other eyebrow? I’d realize sooner this time what it was doing lol though another indent wouldn’t bother me anyway. It’s not like it’s “out there” even though it is on my face, it’s in my eyebrow so 🙂 and it’s a minor thing. I was just curious if i’d be doomed for piercings to fail.

I’ve had my ears pierced and i’ve had them pierced at the mall several times, always caused problems until I realized….nickel. Got it in a professional shop (that i’ve also had 2 tattoos done since, really good place) with surgical steel earrings and no problem though I let them close anyway…I got lazy.

I was wondering what kind of stuff, like nickel, steel, gold etc. could be used for gauges and if I could give them a shot? I’d imagine I could use non-nickel having stuff as with any earring but I don’t really know anything about gauges so I was wondering how that works. I mean I know what they are obviously but not much else.

It’s ok if it’s just a fail for me i’m just curious as I figured if I could give it a shot i’d love to. Thanks for any replies :).

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

In a legit shop regularly examined by a health inspector, only non-allergenic metals will be used, unlike malls and department stores.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Please stop calling them “gauges”. That’s a size. Not a piercing. I assume you’re referring to stretched ears?

Here is what you do; Find a GOOD piercing studio around you. Where do you live? Check out the likes of Adam Ritchns and Mateo Way – These are amazing piercers who I know is open on their tumbler to recommend a shop in your area if they know of any.
    Professional piercers will never use anything with nickel in it. Most will use titanium. Gold works fine for piercings.
    All surface piecings can be rejected by your body, this includes eyebrow piercings. Usually this happens because it hasn’t been place deep enough. Go to a good shop, and you shouldn’t have a problem. There is always a risk, but its usually a tiny one 🙂

Now, for stretching. Most serious studios will be able to pierce your ears to an initially large size. It doesn’t have to be 1,6. Depending on the studio, but say you get 3,0 mm to start with. Then you wait for this to heal. And I mean completely, 100% heal. Yes it takes a while 🙂
    If you decide to stretch them yourself, you get a hold of some tapers, and jewelery in the size you’re going for. You only do 1mm at the time, and wait a month between each time. You can use most jewlery in these – Clearly not anything with nickel, but wood, acrylics, titanium, bone, etc work just fine, except silicone, that does not work with fresh piercings. So after about a year, you may be sporting 10mm.

If you want this to go faster etc, you can always have them cut, punched etc at a GOOD piercing studio. These procedures involve blood, longer healing time etc, but it goes faster. You can’t get huge stretched ears in a go though. If you’re looking to get them big, realize that it’s most likely going to take a few years. Mine are at 22mm now and it took me about 3 years. Got some blow outs, some scar tissue etc, and that slows it down.

I could write a dissertation on piercings, but I’m not going to 😛 Haha, if you have any more questions just ask 🙂 I used to work as a piercer and still stay updated, so I should be able to answer some of your questions.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

Wow, Pox. You answered that way more knowledgeably/less lazily than me. I take my hat off, ma’am.

wickedjr89
    Participant
    @wickedjr89

Thank you! That is really helpful! I was young and not thinking I guess, my eyebrow was done on the boardwalk o.o not really a place for piercings lol. Sorry about calling them gauges. I was just told “that happens with some people” about the eyebrow piercing but I don’t think it was placed that deep. I could try again though :).
    Thank you for taking the time to reply all that! A very big help!
    I live in cumberland county in south jersey. The one time (out of many) that I got my ears pierced without having problems with it, and got 2 tattoos there so far, was at Luck of the Draw. Not a big place but really good, nice people and clean.
    I always knew to take tattoos seriously, don’t want to get anything and it’s permanent after all, but when I was younger (I know i’m not old i’m 24 but as a teen) I didn’t really realize that piercings were much the same way. I figured almost anyone could it as long as they were clean. I never would have done something at home by myself though.
    Again, big thank you.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@GrayCatLove 134055 wrote:

In a legit shop regularly examined by a health inspector, only non-allergenic metals will be used, unlike malls and department stores.

Only posting a line or two? Your masculinity is showing.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

@Sam-I-Am 134137 wrote:

Only posting a line or two? Your masculinity is showing.

I think working now with mostly boys has done it. Do I need to tuck?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.