Zorba
    Participant
    @zorba

I had a navel piercing for 13 months – it had more-or-less finished healing when I had a procedure that the doc made me remove it for 24 hours. Sure enough, the darn thing had closed up by the time I got back to it. That was almost a year ago, I’ve been recovering from the procedure (Liquid Lipo) since then. I miss my piercing like crazy, and intend to get it re-done in a couple of months.

Anything to watch out for with a re-pierce like this? I’m going to try to get the same piercer as last time, he was awesome.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

you-may-not-be-as-gay-as-this.jpg

Just saying

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

How it’s going to work, all depends on how much scarring you have. Repiercing generally shouldn’t be a problem, as long as you go to a very very good piercer. The fact that your piercer is “awesome” doesn’t mean he is. Make sure he uses internally threaded jewelry at least, and see if he’s a member of APP ๐Ÿ™‚
    More or less finished healing in 13 months? That is a LONG time! Meaning.. You probably have some scarring.
    If the scar tissue isn’t too deep, it may work very well to place the piercing just above or below the scar tissue, all depending on how it was placed the first time.
    Generally not a problem, but it might take longer to heal and hurt a lot more than it did the first time ๐Ÿ™‚

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

If it took a year to heal your navel piercing, stay away from that piercer.

I got my belly button pierced on the bottom about a decade ago; I’m entertaining putting jewelry back in it, but not sure… Like you, after surgery, piercings came out. Let us know how the re-pierce works out.

Zorba
    Participant
    @zorba

Internal threaded jewelry? Check – he’s insistent on that. I’m pretty convinced he’s “awesome” – he took far less time doing it than most that I’ve either seen or heard about, the piercing was nice and clean – even my Doctor said it was the best job he’d ever seen, blah, blah.

Part of the reason it took so long to heal was my whacking the darn thing every so often, whether it needed it or not. Still, everyone I know with one has taken 6 to 9 months to heal – or longer. Maybe Belly Dancers are just too hard on them – but I’m tired of being virtually the only dancer in class without one!

It feels like there is “plug” of scar tissue inside the old piercing – the same size as same (very small diameter). I assume that he’ll have to go around that – hopefully “underneath” for a slightly longer tunnel than last time as I have longer jewelry anyway.

Maybe I should pierce the bottom too, while I’m at it. *shrug* Anyone have any experience with double pierced navels?

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Good ๐Ÿ™‚ Well, yes. Stop whacking it.. Be nice to your piercing! No dirty hands, no twisting it, no using chemicals etc. It will heal far faster.
    And yeah, belly dancing seems like a surefire way to make sure it heals more slowly! One thing though; Better to not have a piercing, or have a unstable, sometimes crusty, weeping, swollen, red etc piercing for a year..?

I had four piercings in my navel. Still have a double. Mine healed just fine, I’ve had them for maybe 8 years now. Never been an issue, except finding jewelry!
    I did two at a time, and those took about 4-6 weeks to heal. I only ever use sterile water or a saline solution on mine though, and as I did mine myself (yes I worked professionally!), I had it pretty easy ๐Ÿ™‚ Doing two piercings at a time will usually be perfectly safe ๐Ÿ™‚

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@poxphobia 132354 wrote:

Well, Stop whacking it.. Be nice, No dirty hands, no twisting it, or have a unstable, sometimes crusty, weeping, swollen, red etc…..

I couldn’t have said it better myself!

Zorba
    Participant
    @zorba

@poxphobia 132354 wrote:

Better to not have a piercing, or have a unstable, sometimes crusty, weeping, swollen, red etc piercing for a year..?

Now your previous post makes more sense. Fortunately, it was NEVER crusty, weeping, red or swollen at all (other than a tinsy bit red for the first week or two). I defined “healed” as “being able to change jewelry easily” – my bad. But it *is* vulnerable spot; pick something up and hold it against your belly? Ouch. Not pay attention and hook the waistband of your skirt against/on it? Ouch. Have well meaning dance sisters pat it? Ouch. Roll over in bed and move the wrong way? Ouch. Bump into a countertop or table at “just that height”? Ouch. It got better as time went on, of course – but I didn’t really call it healed until somewhere between 9-10 months and the time I lost it. At that time, the above things didn’t hurt and changing jewelry was a bit of a hassle, but not painful.

Even then, I wouldn’t call it truly healed if a 24 hour removal caused a close-up. I wore earrings at nite for many years for that very same reason – although I no longer need to.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

How did the liquid lipo procedure turn out?

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

When piercings close up is very individual. It may well be healed even if it closes up on you quickly.
    And well.. if you have that much issues with a piercing, why bother?

Zorba
    Participant
    @zorba

@poxphobia 132410 wrote:

When piercings close up is very individual. It may well be healed even if it closes up on you quickly.
    And well.. if you have that much issues with a piercing, why bother?

‘Cause I like the pretty jewelry – and every time I see one of my dance sisters with one, I’m reminded of what I lost. I’m dedicated enough to see it through; a 9 to 12 month healing time is just an annoyance, not a hindrance.

Sam: The liquid lipo turned out great, but NOT fun. It didn’t particularly hurt – BUT – unlike a tattoo where the pain is considerable (for some of them) but “exquisite”, the LL isn’t that much, but what there is of it is just a *bad* pain. Its taking about a 9 to 12 months for this to heal up too. The big time waster on this procedure is the “Synergie” massages that MUST be done to re-arrange what little fat is left so you’re not lumpy. My wife needed 3 months of them – me? It’ll be 11 months by the time I stop (and then get my navel re-pierced).

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

As long as you don’t mind the healing process ๐Ÿ™‚ Just make sure to baby it whenever you do whack it ๐Ÿ™‚
    I put some of my piercings through hell and did everything opposite of good advice, but they usually turn out fine eventually ๐Ÿ˜›

Zorba
    Participant
    @zorba

Yea, keyword here is “eventually”!

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

@Sam-I-Am 132405 wrote:

How did the liquid lipo procedure turn out?

Sam brings up an important point. I want to see. Now.

Zorba
    Participant
    @zorba

Did it. Same piercer. He was able to go deeper and go under the scarified old tunnel. I won’t say it hurt any more than the first time – BUT – it took slightly longer, I’m assuming because its now longer and deeper. I seem to be having far less problems with whacking it this time around – I don’t know if its because I’m experienced with it or if its because the jewelry can’t protrude as far due to the longer tunnel. Maybe both! *shrug*

My wife got a nose stud at the same time. I’d like one too – but I’m “watching carefully” as to what her experience is. I have so many problems with allergies, runny nose, etc, etc – that I’m hesitant to get one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.