American Infidel
Participant
@american-infidel

sorry i didnt really know where to post this so i hope its alright that i post in here. How hard is it to get a apprenticeship?

Thanks

BIKERinBLACK77
Participant
@bikerinblack77

What state are you in?

It all depends on the location of the shop, the experience of the potential mentor, and your financial standing. Some places require YOU to PAY THEM for their teachings, while others will mentor you for free.

-Research a few shops in your area. See if there are PIERCING ONLY shops, if not look for which shop has a high flow of customers.
-Figure out where you think you’ll have the best shot of getting in AND the most experiece out of it.
-Make your face known, best thing to do is getting some work done on a regular basis.
-Approach a potention mentor, and ask if they’re willing to take an apprentice… the worst thing they’ll say is no.

I was lucky enough to get in for free with my mentor after “pulling a few strings”. My apprenticeship was extended to well over a year b/c I attend a private liber arts college that rapes my bank account!!!

Let us know how it goes.

American Infidel
Participant
@american-infidel

thanks for the info. i work at a shop they just dont have a piercer hence the reason i wanna get into it. we get prolly around 10 calls and walk ins asking for pierceings. they said if i got a mentor i could pierce there when im done. theres good money to be made there. the main artist is well reknown and has a 6 month waiting list to get tattooed. haha and they said at my age it would be awesome to have me doing pierceings. I just gotta find a shop to help me. i dont mind droping a little money to get the apprenticeship but i dont wanna pay the same as a tattoo apprenticeship haha:o

Joker1
Participant
@joker1

I wouldn’t say no to a piercing apprenticeship at all – I can’t draw and don’t have a passion for it, so I don’t wanna be a tattooist, but I believe I could do piercing – I don’t get squeamish.
I’m in Australia, and there’s a course you can do in a city about 2hrs away from me. I think it goes for a few days or weeks, and it covers all the basic piercings. Then there’s another certificate for advanced piercings, which I guess takes longer, and then there’s the specialty piercing course, which would take longer once again. I’ve never heard of someone getting a piercing apprenticeship in Australia before but I’d jump at the opportunity if someone offered it to me – get to hang out with tattooists all day! 🙂

BIKERinBLACK77
Participant
@bikerinblack77
Joker1;53431 wrote:
I wouldn’t say no to a piercing apprenticeship at all – I can’t draw and don’t have a passion for it, so I don’t wanna be a tattooist, but I believe I could do piercing – I don’t get squeamish.
I’m in Australia, and there’s a course you can do in a city about 2hrs away from me. I think it goes for a few days or weeks, and it covers all the basic piercings. Then there’s another certificate for advanced piercings, which I guess takes longer, and then there’s the specialty piercing course, which would take longer once again. I’ve never heard of someone getting a piercing apprenticeship in Australia before but I’d jump at the opportunity if someone offered it to me – get to hang out with tattooists all day! 🙂

Go for it.

Major Vagabond
Participant
@major-vagabond
Joker1;53431 wrote:

Take the apprenticeship. Yes, they may be harder but there is so much more worth in taking the years it does to learn proper technique. Anyone can shove a needle through anyone; but if you have a true passion there’s more glory to learning the art. Besides, do you really think a two week course is going to prepare you for the possible shop emergencies (I promise you’ll get them) as well as working beside a season professional?

Joker1
Participant
@joker1
Major Vagabond;55486 wrote:
Take the apprenticeship. Yes, they may be harder but there is so much more worth in taking the years it does to learn proper technique. Anyone can shove a needle through anyone; but if you have a true passion there’s more glory to learning the art. Besides, do you really think a two week course is going to prepare you for the possible shop emergencies (I promise you’ll get them) as well as working beside a season professional?

That’s the thing, I’ve never ever heard of a piercing apprenticeship in Australia. All I can find over here is the course, and even then it’s really expensive, like $2500 for basic piercing technique. If I had a choice over an apprenticeship or a course, I’d go the apprenticeship any day of the week.

Major Vagabond
Participant
@major-vagabond
Joker1;55502 wrote:
That’s the thing, I’ve never ever heard of a piercing apprenticeship in Australia. All I can find over here is the course, and even then it’s really expensive, like $2500 for basic piercing technique. If I had a choice over an apprenticeship or a course, I’d go the apprenticeship any day of the week.

Myyyy bad. I didn’t catch that was why. Apprenticeships can be really expensive too though, three grand is what I tend to hear. If you really want to commit, it might be interesting to make a international thing of it and go to Europe / North America for one.

Joker1
Participant
@joker1
Major Vagabond;55505 wrote:
Myyyy bad. I didn’t catch that was why. Apprenticeships can be really expensive too though, three grand is what I tend to hear. If you really want to commit, it might be interesting to make a international thing of it and go to Europe / North America for one.

It’s $200 here just for the earlobes haha.
Traveling would be a lot of fun, I just don’t have any money for it!

Major Vagabond
Participant
@major-vagabond
Joker1;55507 wrote:

To get them done? Shit. I’m moving down if that’s what I’ll be making.

Get an education loan. I would put a winking smiley, but I still hate smileys.

Joker1
Participant
@joker1
Major Vagabond;55509 wrote:
To get them done? Shit. I’m moving down if that’s what I’ll be making.

Get an education loan. I would put a winking smiley, but I still hate smileys.

No no no, the day course for learning to do lobes is $200.
I think some of the places where I live charge $50 a lobe though, not cheap anyway!

Major Vagabond
Participant
@major-vagabond
Joker1;55507 wrote:
Joker1;55511 wrote:
No no no, the day course for learning to do lobes is $200.
I think some of the places where I live charge $50 a lobe though, not cheap anyway!

Man, you had me hoping for a second there. But I guess that’s what I get for overworking, delusions of 200 dollar lobes, hahaha. How many courses have you found? There’s only really one reputable place I’ve found in the US. If anyone else has heard of anything though, they should let me know.

Joker1
Participant
@joker1

I’ve only heard of the one place, 3 branches of it in Aus, the nearest being 2 and a half hours away. If I can remember properly, I think a labret/eyebrow (that sort of piercing) ranges from $70-$100, not bad money there.

Major Vagabond
Participant
@major-vagabond

I’m just in it for that art though. Money is just a nice contribution.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.