misskandi
    Participant
    @misskandi

Hi, all. :]

I had a bridge piercing done at the beginning of this year and, aside from some minor irritation (which is to be expected at first, of course), it has healed up just fine. In fact, I haven’t really had to think about it for a couple of months, which is a good sign. =P

At the beginning of this week, though, something really scary began to happen. My bridge started to display some redness and swelling again, for no apparent reason. I made the mistake of dabbing some antibacterial ointment (Neosporin) around the ends in an effort to help matters, which I’ve recently come to understand is not necessarily good or helpful. Anyway, my bridge is currently pretty huge with ugly swelling, and I’ve noticing it’s a little swollen in the corners of my eyelids as well (hence the FEAR on my part… hello, face infection, anyone? =/) Yesterday, I quit using anything on my face (including makeup, lotion and Clearasil face wash) other than the occasional bit of mild soap and an alternating regimen of salt water and regular warm water soaks. I’m also applying an ice pack sporadically and taking ibuprofen for its anti-inflammatory effects.

There isn’t any green or smelly pus oozing from the holes; everything seems normal on that front. The piercing isn’t hot (you know, some typical signs of infection). In fact, things seem to be improving (albeit VERY slowly). So, my question is: What’s happening to me? =( Is this something I can treat for myself, or do I need to try to borrow some money and visit a doctor? (I’m self-employed, poor and insurance-less.) Should I scrounge around for leftover antibiotics? AM I GETTING A FACE INFECTION? Or should I simply continue my periodic salt water soaks / cleanings / ice pack goodness / aspirin routine and expect to make a full recovery?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this and respond. I’m super paranoid/anxious and it would genuinely make my day if somebody could shed a little bit of light on all this. Thanks again, guys. =]

X-pressive
    Participant
    @x-pressive

Hi. Take it out straight away! You definately have an infection of some sort.. You will need antibiotics to clear it up. See a doctor and get a blood test done. And it also sounds like you are having an allergic reaction to the jewelery.

misskandi
    Participant
    @misskandi

Thanks for your advice! This nasty situation has been resolved and I’m no longer sporting a dinosaur face. W00t. 🙂

X-pressive
    Participant
    @x-pressive

Glad to hear it……:)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.