Demure
    Participant
    @demure

I’m very interested in having my labret pierced but I’m concerned about being able to hide it… Is it easy to hide or should I not get it if I want to hide it?

Although I’m obviously old enough to do what I want to do with my body and all that, my mother is very old fashioned and she hates piercings/tattoos. So if I had something so blatantly obviously pierced on my face, she’d raise hell. And if I want to have a professional job one day (which I do after college) I don’t know how well the general public/work place would take to a piercing there…

Also is the labret a very painful piercing? How long does it take to heal..? Price? etc etc..

Comments? Suggestions? Any information would be valuable, thanks!!

LeandraLyn
    Participant
    @leandralyn

I just got my labret pierced for my birthday. [ sept 10 ]
    For a while my mom didn’t notice it, and neither did my dad or grandparents.
    After a while they did, but that’s probably because mine isn’t in the real “labret” place.
    It’s closer to my lip.
    I changed it after a week [ I know I’m supposed to wait, but my dad said he’d give me
    100 dollars if I took it out, so I figured, if the new stud goes in, screw my dad, if I can’t
    get it in, looks like I’m 100 dollars richer ]
    I currently work at Target, and they don’t mind. But customers often give me weird looks.
    I wear a flat stud at work, its barely noticable.
    Like this…
    http://www.bodyempire.com/xcart/product.php?cat=248&page=3&productid=18281

The pain was VERY minimal, but I do also have a high pain tolerance.
    It cost around 35 dollars.
    Any other questions? Email applebtm412@yahoo.com

Demure
    Participant
    @demure

Aww that’s a cute stud you picked. Thank you for the information. I’m definitely considering it.

cured
    Participant
    @cured

couldn’t you take the stud out for the time your with your mother?

Demure
    Participant
    @demure

Not while it’s healing and new.

Sickone
    @

ok so a traditional labret is pretty far down and will rub your gums and possibly, not always but possibly, cause you some issues. I have my snakebites that are done fairly close to my lips in which heal time before I was able to put a glass retainer in was like nine weeks. Some piercers will be willing to pierce you with glass and you body actually accepts it better than 316L surg steel. So that is always an option as well.

As far as the mom things go, they get over it. My mom is the same way and I went from nothing to my snakebites, brow and ears in 4 days. Same thing when I did my septum, she hated it made me tuck it up when I was in her home but now she doesn’t say anything.

My opinion is if you want it get it. Cost is going to be dependent on the shop you go to and how your relationship is with your piercer. I would tell you anything over 40 bucks after jewelery is too much.

Just make sure you take care of it and are conscious of the swelling involved, if it gets tight go get a longer piece ASAP as you don’t want that fucker to embed itself because they may end up having to cu it out.

Demure
    Participant
    @demure

Thank you for all of the information. I really appreciate it. I’ve kinda put it on the back burner for now, to be honest. Another question though.. Do you know if it messes up your teeth? My teeth are perfect and I don’t want them getting messed up.

Reign-of-Rain
    Participant
    @reign-of-rain

Hey

I dont have a labret, though, that does’nt mean what I have to say is’nt valid.

For starters, as far as I am aware, no it does’nt mess up your teeth! How can it? This however coming from a guy who’s had to have a bit of dental repair work, so I’m kinda’ blaze. But honestly, though I may not care about the contents of my own jaw, I can assure you that it will not mess up your teeth and I can say that because I know lots of people who have said piercing.

My old man has a labret, he’s got a great big biker beard too and the whole point of him having such a piercing is that it can be seen, so, he has a great big 8mm ball on it! Though, if he had a smaller ball, we’d not be able to see it but that is purely because of the huge beard!

Also, I went out with a girl once who had such a piercing; but she could’nt wear it for her job so she tried wearing one of those ‘clear plastic retainer’ things and frankly, you could still see it.

Sorry if that is a bit negative, just my expirience.

Scott.

Sickone
    @

as far as messing up your teeth goes, its all on a case by case basis.

Same thing with a tongue piercing. If you click your teeth with it yes it will. If you don’t it all depends on how its pierced and how your anatomy is. I would tell you to ask a professional piercer in whom you trust about that.

As far as being seen with the glass retainer. Yes you will see it. it’s unavoidable. I personally at this point (been about 8-9 months I’d guess) am able to go like 12 hours without mine in before it hurts a little to put it in. I have mine out 8 hours a day and it looks similar to like a freckle when it’s out. I have no pain and no problems putting it back in. My boss actually got angry because he thought that I took it our do to my other job and showed more respect for them than the job I was at. I showed him that I put it in once i’m off clock and he was appreciative that I was willing to take it our during work. IDK its all case by case.

First and foremost though.

I’d rather lose a piercing than a job and if you feel the opposite way (no matter who you are) then your an idiot.

Reign-of-Rain
    Participant
    @reign-of-rain
    Sickone;32414 wrote:
    as far as messing up your teeth goes, its all on a case by case basis.

Same thing with a tongue piercing. If you click your teeth with it yes it will. If you don’t it all depends on how its pierced and how your anatomy is. I would tell you to ask a professional piercer in whom you trust about that.

As far as being seen with the glass retainer. Yes you will see it. it’s unavoidable. I personally at this point (been about 8-9 months I’d guess) am able to go like 12 hours without mine in before it hurts a little to put it in. I have mine out 8 hours a day and it looks similar to like a freckle when it’s out. I have no pain and no problems putting it back in. My boss actually got angry because he thought that I took it our do to my other job and showed more respect for them than the job I was at. I showed him that I put it in once i’m off clock and he was appreciative that I was willing to take it our during work. IDK its all case by case.

First and foremost though.

I’d rather lose a piercing than a job and if you feel the opposite way (no matter who you are) then your an idiot.

I then, am surely an idiot, as I once walked away from a job because I went with my heart and not my head and refused to remove my piercings.

They are piercings? How can they possibly effect a persons ability to work, effect who a person is? They cannot. An employer cannot ask you to remove a tattoo, perhaps they feel they have power over a piercing?

I got another job straight away, in that job, they did’nt even ask about my piercings or tattoos, they employed me. Though, the job was’nt for me, so I left after a short time though I ensured I had another job before I did so, where again, they did not ask me to remove my piercings or alter my apearance. Nor did I change my piercings for the interview, I put my suit on and went how I was.

I accept though, there are circumstances and new jobs, at certain times ar’nt always that easy to come across. Were it different circumstances for me and I was’nt so cock sure that I would walk straight into a new job, I may well of had to remove my piercings, but I’m proud that I did’nt. I can also understand an employer having a problem if you turn up for work with a new piercing; but in my case, I cant understand an employer developing a problem with piercings you’ve always had.

Scott.

Demure
    Participant
    @demure

Well who knows what I’d do with it. Probably suck on it. I dunno.

If you work in retail, generally employers want you to take out your piercings for the customer service. It has nothing to do with your work ethics. It’s all about appearance and how people view you, is how they view the company. That’s like going into a restaurant and seeing a whole bunch of attractive waitresses… then going to a grocery store and seeing maybe not so attractive people. Or an electronic store wants all of its associates clean cut men. It just really depends on where you go to work.

Another case is if you do not work directly with the general populace. If you work in a call center for instance, then your appearance really probably doesn’t matter much to corporate. Again if you work as a technical repair contractor, people don’t care. In some cases, people expect you to look rough and edgy examples: mechanic, bouncer, or DUH tattoo artist.

There ya go.

If I were to get a labret piercing, I’d probably use a lot of concealer…. hmmm…

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink
    Demure;27650 wrote:
    I’m very interested in having my labret pierced but I’m concerned about being able to hide it… Is it easy to hide or should I not get it if I want to hide it?

Although I’m obviously old enough to do what I want to do with my body and all that, my mother is very old fashioned and she hates piercings/tattoos. So if I had something so blatantly obviously pierced on my face, she’d raise hell. And if I want to have a professional job one day (which I do after college) I don’t know how well the general public/work place would take to a piercing there…

Also is the labret a very painful piercing? How long does it take to heal..? Price? etc etc..

Comments? Suggestions? Any information would be valuable, thanks!!

I got one, just to see what it was like, and it looked nice, but annoyed the shit outa me, was rubbing on my gums and teeth all the time, in the end i took it out, now have a lip ring and i forget its even there, but i can get away with it as i work for myself and dont actually give a rats arse what people think of me. Heal time for me was 2 weeks. It didnt hurt but i got her to put some numbing stuff on, i dont like pain and will avoid it if i can lol.
    But now i have a small hole there, that im thinking will probably not go away even though its closed over.
    My thoughts are if you think you’re going to have to hide it, dont get one, but in saying that i think you can put retainer things in so the hole wont close.

Demure
    Participant
    @demure

Ya I’m kinda waiting until there’s no doubt that I want it and I’ve got all my tees crossed and eyes dotted. Until then… It’s not a big issue and this is an old thread!!

cured
    Participant
    @cured

Believe it or not, the world we live in, some people look down on peircing and tattoo’s because they think that your some hard headed punk who is all like fuck the world and lets have sex.. and so on.

so when you are employed to bring customers into a business you need a professional appearance. I myself have no objection to labret peircings in a workplace. It makes the girl look a tad more cuter imho. 🙂 some it looks good on, some it may not.

So demure, are ou still planning on getting the labret peirced?

EDIT: ^ dw. lol

Demure
    Participant
    @demure

Dunno… probably not anytime soon…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.