KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk
    Sherav;63297 wrote:
    I got nothing against Senior for been honest on how he feels because if one person feels it a lot more will. That said we don’t need to rip the shit out of each other either.

Take Care
    Matthew

But it’s fun, Matthew. *pouts*

The issue with Senior isn’t that he doesn’t want to tip. I understand that. Like I’ve said before, I’ve never tipped my artist, and I haven’t tried in a while. Hell, if you can’t afford it, you can’t afford it. On the other hand, being self-righteous about never tipping and presenting it as a virtue, that right there is dick.

As always though, your post was helpful and informative.

Seniorminnion wrote:
    well shitehawk – since we’re getting personal – I ‘ve had a look at your page — and for you to call someone a dick – what a joke – like a big kid — obsessed with zombies ?? – love / peace metallica ? — how old are you – 14 ? – life full of responsibilities is it ? lol get a life – and get down a gym ffs !!!

Ya know man, I’ve been using KnightHawk as my online handle everywhere I go since I was about 15. I also think it was around that time someone last called me “shitHawk”. I don’t mind being insulted, but I do mind being insulted by someone who doesn’t want to put any thought into it. It makes you look infantile, not worth a response back, and, frankly, a waste of my time.

I didn’t want to get into it with you, which is why I called you a dick and moved on. You were being a dick, the professional artists here thought you were being a dick, we moved on. Since you insist on continuing this like an angsty teenager, though, here’s the issue:

You’re presenting your cheapness as a virtue. Tipping isn’t as common in the UK isn’t a valid response here. Tattoo artists who use the western methods of tattooing get tipped in every country. Period. It’s never required, but it’s considered a good thing to do, a sign of appreciation. If an artists EXPECTS it, I think that’s sliding into the dick area, but denying that it’s a fair thing to do, as you are, is also dick. It’s the custom, no one’s forcing you to do it, and by arguing against it it proves two things:

A) You’re a dick.

B) You know you’re a dick on some level, or you wouldn’t be arguing so hard to prove your nondickhood.

In the end, the problem is your self-righteousness, not your different opinion. Besides, as you said yourself, you’re a newbie to tattooing–don’t you think us old hands might know something you don’t?

Now, as Matthew doesn’t want this to become a flamewar, I’m pretty much done responding as I’ve said my piece.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

purplestar
    Participant
    @purplestar

Hi Guys

haven’t posted for a while but how strange I got a notification via email on this post today. I have just arrived back from having a large upper arm piece finished……and I tipped!! Yep, I added on a drink on top because it just felt right. I know I raised the question before about tipping and I can’t remember if it was on this particular thread (I was too tired to check as I’m exhausted….you know the weariness of the pain).

While I was in the studio, another artist was displaying the bottle of Jack Daniels he got form a client for ‘just touching up’ a few weeks after the work was done, his client insisted even though the artis said ‘no mate, it won’t cost a thing’.

But as for tipping being an ‘Americanism’ along with pumkins at Halloween, tipping is something I have been accustomed to my 43 years living in the UK (from birth to Irish immigrants).

I tip my hairdresser for making my locks more pleasing than I went in and the cabbie for getting me home safely, they even hang around sometimes to make sure I get my key in the door and safely into my house.
    I don’t know how much they get paid!!

I tipped, and it was gracefully accepted, which pleased me. I am exceedingly please with my new piece of art (my forth by this artist)……and he was pleased with his tip.

So refuse

frostus
    Participant
    @frostus

an easy one for me, im english so i dont tip

inkmerchant
    Participant
    @inkmerchant
    Izarrasink;63269 wrote:
    you have no idea of the work involved in tattooing….you are ignorant. I work damn hard for my money, I’m exhausted at the end of the day and then have a family to look after, i wouldnt say i was well paid….I EARN IT BY WORKING VERY HARD!! and what else can you buy that will last a lifetime? Maybe you should get a better paying job:confused:

I very rarely get tips and dont expect it either, but your comment is really quite ignorant and arrogant. Do you think tattooist just cream the money? And dont really have to work hard? What about overheads and sterilization, inks ….blah blah blah….the list goes on. YOu pay for quality its your perogative if you tip or not.

I second this, you have no idea how much work is involved in tattooing…especially the work you don’t see. l spend on average an extra 15 hours a week drawing designs which I don’t get paid for. Also the strain this job causes on your body can rival construction easily..I know since I did it for years as well. You obviously know very little about tattooing. Tipping is how I make a decent wage after the business costs and the price is reasonable considering the time it takes to become a skilled artist. I’m sure you throw away thousands of dollars on other bullshit throughout your life that won’t last like a tattoo does. Also if you “don’t tip because you’re English” you can stay the fuck out of my shop.

frostus
    Participant
    @frostus

i work my balls off and no one tips me

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw
    frostus;63373 wrote:
    an easy one for me, im english so i dont tip

thats a fucking lame excuse…. dont blame your tight arse penny pinching habbits on being english….. i am english and i tip anyone that i feel has provided me with a good service 😡

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

okay no more rip-shitting:D

mugwump
    Participant
    @mugwump

While i didnt tip when i got my tattoo 3 weeks ago, in a fortnight or so once its healed and looking awesome a mate at work who is a photography nut is gunna sort me out with a bunch of awesome pics – I then plan on taking some copies of these with a bottle of champers… a 50 to 80 dollar bottle should show my appreciation… handing over cash just seems crass… being Australian tipping just doesnt sit too well esp when the person is making 50 bucks more an hour than i am 😉

frostus
    Participant
    @frostus
    Outlaw;63428 wrote:
    thats a fucking lame excuse…. dont blame your tight arse penny pinching habbits on being english….. i am english and i tip anyone that i feel has provided me with a good service 😡

oh i just figure they get paid to provide a good service as standard

hatton
    Participant
    @hatton

my feelings on tips are that if the person providing the service is taking a healthy percentage or the full amount of what is charged then its unnecessary to tip, if you think of a waitress she gets paid a low hourly wage for what she does, if you tip her its a little that goes in her pocket for the service she provided outside of what she would get paid on her hourly wage. when it comes to tattoos the price is not set in stone and the artist can earn as much or as little as he/she likes by adjusting the price accordingly (within reason of course).

but hell what do i know, im a scrooge, i dont even like tipping the pizza guy when he rolls up in his mustang lol

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

just spotted you in here mate, i must have missed yer intro, as you know i have been a little busy lately…… its great to have ya here 😉

seniorminnion
    Participant
    @seniorminnion

Just a bit of an update — first of all I’ll sort of alter my position slightly on tipping someone who I believe is well paid enough already. After sitting for the first 5 hours of my back piece I thoroughly appreciate now the difference between an “artist” and someone who just puts flash on ( and I don’t mean to dismiss that side of the art as there’s plenty of clients who just want that ! ) The tattooist I used was very friendly, approachable and really put himself out for me ! That said it won’t be until the piece is finished and then it’ll more likely be a crate of beer for him and wine for his wife !
    I certainly didn’t intend to claim any moral high ground by not agreeing with tipping as a matter of course , and some of the comments on here such as saying I’m ignorant and arrogant for not tipping as if it was an expected extra I find strange !
    Any tattoists on here who I appear to have offended was certainly not meant,and to them I apologise !
    ( not to KH though – who after reading another thread where he’s ripping into a 16 year old !! just seems to like winding people up ! – though he’ll learn as he gets older and grows up a bit)

Chief D
    Participant
    @chief-d

I would say most Artists do not expect tips as a rule. Art is different from the service industry. The Artist is paid by the peice or by the hour. This is fair compensation as he sees it. $175 an hours says your Artist is not only accomplished, but has set his compensation comensurate with his skill. While tips are appreciated, you would not be out of line to save any tip until the sleeve is done.

vizzielover
    Participant
    @vizzielover

For the last few months I have been getting my ink roughly every two to three weeks, back in on Monday as a matter of fact, my tattooist, I believe, has tried to keep the price down for me, and for that reason, and the fact that he always manages to find a spot for me when I ask, I try to tip when I can afford it. He doesn’t expect it and does the same work whether I tip or not, I have never been disappointed in the work he has done for me and I appreciate that fact. Oh yes, and I’m British too…………..I tip my hairdresser and the waiter or waitress when I eat out so why not someone who is giving me a piece of work that I am proud to show off?

Chief D
    Participant
    @chief-d

You tip for service, not art.
    Its like commissioning a work of art for a price, then giving more when you like what you paid for.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.