jon d
    Participant
    @jon-d

I recently saw this article:

“London Ink is a reality show on Discovery Real Time that follows Louis Malloy, David Beckham’s tattooist, as he manages a three of the best tattoo artists in the business with the aim of creating the most talked about tattoo studio in Britain.”

Is this what tattooing is all about? Celebrity status, creating the most “talked about studio” because some corporation has capitalized on the next fashion accessory for the mainstream?

Am I the only one that thinks this is only gonna help the selected “elite” involved, whilst damaging the rest of the tattooing community as a whole…?

Olivia
    Participant
    @olivia

I hate Miami ink and LA Ink, but have never seen London Ink.
    (that should get me some thumbs down from the less knowledgeable crowd on here)
    These shows in America have put Kat Von D on a pedestal, and silly girls come in here all the time falling all over themselves willing to pay absurd prices for a tattoo from “the master”.
    If Kat Von D a moderately okay artist, her portrait work is above average. She charges $500 per half hour.
    My artist is truly an amazing artist, his portrait work is phenomenal. He charges $100 per hour.
    Thats pretty damning.

samantha s
    @

not really, its just a show. watch Miami ink its way better. they show normal people getting tattoos and the cast is excellent. there is a 23 yr old tattoo artist and she is amazing. the thing i like about it is the fact that with everyone that comes n they show the process from start to finish – eg – research, why they are getting it etc etc. and as for creating the most talked about studio, i see nothing wrong in wanting to make your business successful.. regardless of what it is.

saimhain
    @

i started watching miami ink, and i really liked it. then i saw a few episodes of la ink, and i got annoyed that all these almost celebrities were getting tattooed. it was kind of like “oooh look i can get better people in my shop.” london ink doesn’t sound much better. i’m planning on getting another tattoo, and even though i’m pretty close to la, i wouldn’t pay the ridiculous rates to be on the show, even if kat is really good at what she does. i do kind of agree that these shows are making it about money. maybe not miami ink, those guys seem a bit more down to earth) but then again, it’s tv, you can’t really make judgements on it, because you don;t know whats real and what isn’t.

darkshadows9
    Participant
    @darkshadows9

No. I feel the same, too. Although I love tattoos and quite a few mainstream bands- that’s just it- I hate the fact that it became mainstream and that people are only out to make money and out-do each other.

beast
    @

I love those shows! I never miss them. I’m addicted to Miami Ink and LA Ink. I used to watch that show about the Vegas Shop that Corey Hart owns. I enjoy seeing the ideas behind each individual person’s tattoo. However it gets corny when they focus too much on their personal lives. Stick to the art.

White lighting
    Participant
    @white-lighting

No, tattooing is about individual expression, not status. And there are so many, all over the world, with different styles… it’s really hard to list who is or should be considered ‘elite’.

jess b
    @

Wasn’t David beckham’s tattoo artist the one who misspelled “Victoria” in Sanskrit on one of Becks’ tatts? Hardly a good advertisement…

whiskey_tattoos
    @

Of Course They Want To Be The Most Talked About, Means They Will Draw Clients In, And Make The Money They Need To Survive…..

These Shows Are For The Purpose Of Showing You The Day To Day Running Of A Tattoo Parlor….And The Time And Effort Taht Goes Into The Work

I Personally Find It Facisnating Hering About All The Differant Stories And Watchin The Piece Progress…

As For Tattooing Becoming “Mainstream”

Fat Chance, we still live in a community where people with tattoos are looked down upon….

Simple Facts

drkpp
    Participant
    @drkpp
    jess b;21514 wrote:
    Wasn’t David beckham’s tattoo artist the one who misspelled “Victoria” in Sanskrit on one of Becks’ tatts? Hardly a good advertisement…

Sanskrit uses Devanagari Script (The Script of City of Gods) to write letters.
    It is a phonetic script i.e. the names are written as they are actually spoken.
    If David Beckham likes to pronounce it whik-to-ri-aa i.e. the correctly written tattoo for him.
    If somebody pronounces it differently, it will be written differently.

mike7184
    @

I like Miami Ink tv show and I saw its every episode because I am a big fan of tattoos.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.