tattooedvagabond
    Participant
    @tattooedvagabond

Hey there! My name is Beau and I am a tattoo collector and aspiring writer within the industry. I have just over 50 hours of work so far and have four large projects that I am in the middle of, one being a hopeful tattoo from my favorite artist. During my college years, I wrote my thesis on the social perception of tattooed individuals and that made me decide that I wanted to write about the industry, which led me to starting the Tattooed Vagabond site. Along with doing articles and interviews about tattoo artists and collectors, I recently started a clothing line with the Tattooed Vagabond name. My goal for this is to have tattoo artists design exclusive lines and to spread their brand as far and wide as possible. Already have one artist line released and have a couple more coming out in the next few weeks. I also help out a company called Tattoo Hero and help a couple of tattoo artist friends with their shops. Just love everything about the industry and hope to actually open my own shop in the future!

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Welcome to the forum!

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Welcome!

Nice thesis idea. Was it a phd or masters? And in what field of study? 🙂 (I’m kind of assuming sociology?)
    I’d be very interested in reading it! Considering doing my own masters thesis on visual representations of identity and the modernization of symbols (I did my BA project on the latter), tattoos would surely be a part of it. Always love reading academic work like that 🙂

Sounds like a fun project, good luck competing with sullen and black anchor collective!

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Welcome
    post up some pics of your tattoos. We like pics

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Welcome mate!

Sooo many people doing T-shirts now, its something I fancied doing but ye there is some stiff competition!

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

Welcome. Pics pics pics!

tattooedvagabond
    Participant
    @tattooedvagabond

Thanks! It was actually an undergraduate thesis. The college I went to required all majors to write a thesis in order to graduate, but a lot of students were able to do a project. My major was History, so my thesis was a combination of tattoo history and sociology. I was lucky that my thesis advisor loved my idea because most of the professors at my school would have shot it down.
    I’d be more than happy to have you read it! Not sure if it is at the same level as a PhD or Master’s thesis, but my professor really liked it and still wants me to publish it.

Thanks again! My line is going to be a much wider range of styles than Sullen, so I’m hopeful that it won’t really be about competing with them and more about just filling another niche within the market.

Also, here are some images of some of my work so far! I don’t have pictures of all of them, but these are the ones that I do have images of.

http://i.imgur.com/IjVeldS.jpg (This is one of my mom’s paintings done by Ben Alvarez at Done-Rite Tattoos in Kansas City)
    http://i.imgur.com/lr50bcr.jpg (This is symbols from my Native American tribe also done by Ben Alvarez)
    http://i.imgur.com/r1wsd8I.jpg (This is my most recent one done by Kyle Cotterman at the Portland Tattoo Expo. It won best of the day and best of show)
    http://i.imgur.com/km3Oiaw.jpg (This is done by Tyler Turnbull)
    http://i.imgur.com/UidB4ei.jpg (This is my last name done by Dani Felczak at the Visionary Tattoo Convention)

tattooedvagabond
    Participant
    @tattooedvagabond

Welp, I thought I replied already, but apparently it didn’t save or something. So what I was saying was my thesis was done when I was an undergraduate. The college I went to required seniors to do a thesis, or a project for certain majors, in order to graduate. The field was a combination of History and Sociology because the first half of the thesis was about the history of tattoos. Even though my thesis advisor loved it and wanted me to publish it, I’m not sure it is at the same level as a PhD or Master’s thesis, but I’d be more than happy to share it with you @poxphobia and anyone else that would want to read it.

Yea, the clothing industry is very saturated, especially in the tattoo niche, but I am going to have a wide-range of styles designed by some talented tattoo artists that aren’t well-known yet. I think that is a niche within this niche that could be filled, hopefully by my line. If anyone is interested in the stuff, let me know!

Also, I added a few pics of three of my tattoos in an album. I don’t have any good photos for a lot of my tattoos, so those will have to do for now. I have a few large projects in the works right now, so hopefully I will have some better photos in the coming months! Most of my work has been done by Ben Alvarez, Kyle Cotterman, Dani Felczak, Tyler Turnbull, Jared Scott, and Trevor Marshall.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.